It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Does The Department Of Homeland Security Need 450 Million Hollow Point Bullets?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

The Hague Convention of 1899 Declaration III.

But alphabet agencies and police departments shooting Americans with them isnt technically war.

So we get to enjoy the pleasures of what the Hague convention decided was too horrible for war zones.

Hollow points are sold to regular individuals, even teflon ball hollow points (vest piercing) can be bought in some states. I used to buy a lot of Wolf Ammunition for my Saiga and it was imported ammunition and it was still hollow point, so there doesn't appear to be any problem with any conventions or treaties.

Not for us because we arent in a war.

NATO nations wont use any small-arms hollow point ammo in conflicts or any other ammunition prohibited by the Hague conventions.

You, me, cops, robbers any other non-war actor can load up on them all day long.

It's just a funny really? sort of tidbit that's fun at parties.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   

jack bauer did

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   

In a battlefield situation hollow points wouldn't necessarily be ideal anyway. You want full-jacketed, and you don't care about pass-through or ricochet, in fact those things can only hope to add more damage. It is a silly tidbit, because it doesn't make much sense in any context. The military wouldn't really want a hollow point I don't think.

For cops and hunters the hollow points make sense, because they are a little bit safer in a crowded setting.

The Extreme Shock is supposedly what the Air Marshalls use, but I haven't found any way to confirm that. My FBI buddies carry their weapons on planes and they still use regular hollow points, they don't use any special frangible.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
it should be fairly obvious what could be done with that type of firepower.

edit on 30-3-2012 by yourmaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   

reply to post by Leftist

200,000 DHS employees, and bullets are only good for about 1 year, so over 5 years that is 450 bullets per employee, with target practice, and qualifying their weapons it seems about right.

Doesn't seem excessive to me, I know individuals with 100s of 1000s of rounds in their closets!
edit on 30-3-2012 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-3-2012 by getreadyalready because: whoops, shoddy math!!
changed 4.5 to 450.

This is when this thread could of ended - 2 posts down
lol

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   

It is a silly tidbit, because it doesn't make much sense in any context. The military wouldn't really want a hollow point I don't think.

Well, it is government.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
.40 cal. sounds like it would be for lite semi auto weapons. Extreme crowd control comes to mind. Anybody know what type and bore of weapon DHS carries on the whole?

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   

In a battlefield situation hollow points wouldn't necessarily be ideal anyway. You want full-jacketed, and you don't care about pass-through or ricochet, in fact those things can only hope to add more damage. It is a silly tidbit, because it doesn't make much sense in any context. The military wouldn't really want a hollow point I don't think.

For cops and hunters the hollow points make sense, because they are a little bit safer in a crowded setting.

The Extreme Shock is supposedly what the Air Marshalls use, but I haven't found any way to confirm that. My FBI buddies carry their weapons on planes and they still use regular hollow points, they don't use any special frangible.

full metal jacket is only needed for opponents wearing flak jackets or snipers shooting through debris, dum dum's are the true stopper, not much of you walks away if you get hit by it, i put some IRA scum down when i paid my dues, they never got far.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
1 For you and me my friend. Couple extra for those that put up a fight.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Hello thisguyrightthere,

You are quick on the draw, I was fact checking the same point when your post appeared.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Ah.. Ok. I was pretty sure they weren't allowed in war, but I wasn't sure when.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Bixxi3

I think we discounted that thread when it was common sense that bullets last much longer than a year so that puts the bullets at 2,250 per DHS officer.

Honestly not without reason completely, but still that is a lot of rounds for people working on our own soil.

The fact they are hollow point is a little strange. Are these the only types of bullets ordered? Or did they order large amounts of different types as well?
edit on 30-3-2012 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I would assume that most gun toting Americans probably keep their own personal supply between 1000 and 5000 rounds, so I would be hard pressed to think that 450 million rounds for DHS is excessive.
edit on 30-3-2012 by onthedownlow because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
ATK Secures .40 Caliber Ammunition Contract with Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (DHS, ICE)

PRESS RELEASE
edit on 30-3-2012 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
This is a good plan if they are planning to get the industries going.
Hope it works

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
This ammo is great for close combat situations where you could have a room full of people, and still only take out the target without risking other collateral damage. True story

The Rev.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
reply to post by Bixxi3

I think we discounted that thread when it was common sense that bullets last much longer than a year so that puts the bullets at 2,250 per DHS officer.

Honestly not without reason completely, but still that is a lot of rounds for people working on our own soil.

The fact they are hollow point is a little strange. Are these the only types of bullets ordered? Or did they order large amounts of different types as well?
edit on 30-3-2012 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

Not so many when it includes the Coast Guard and Secret Service, among others... Some of those agencies tend to train at pretty high levels for how much they burn on ranges.... DHS encompasses many many agencies.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

Since when does common sense have anything to do with government?

I don't know the policies on stored ammunition, but I know most departments do discard ammunition that is carried in less than a year.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Simple because US citizens have bought 14,033,824,000 billions rounds of Ammo

Assuming each gun buyer bought 1000 rounds of ammo for each purchase, and you and I know that it is way, way more than that, that would be easily 14,033,824,000+ billions rounds of ammo fired by USA gun owners.

Read more at Ammoland.com: www.ammoland.com...

Guess they think they are better shots then most citizens...

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
They are bad shots and know it, so they figure a conservative two bullets or so per person.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join