It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Does The Department Of Homeland Security Need 450 Million Hollow Point Bullets?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Why Does The Department Of Homeland Security Need 450 Million Hollow Point Bullets?

www.activistpost.com

Recently it was announced that ATK was awarded a contract to provide up to 450 million hollow point bullets to the Department of Homeland Security over the next five years.

Is it just me, or does that sound incredibly excessive?...According to the U.S. Census, there are only about 311 million people living in the entire country. So why does the Department of Homeland Security need 450 million rounds of ammunition?
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
No, its not just you. That does seem excessive.

I would guess that this is another military budget-wasting exercise, like those $8,000 toilet seats and $400 lightbulbs you always hear about the Pentagon buying. Only these are highly lethal bullets here, not lightbulbs. It's a little disturbing.

If I was the paranoid type, I might be apt to think there was something on the wind...

www.activistpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
There have been a few bulk ammo stories in the recent months and I just figured it was for training.

People go through lots of ammo for training.

But you use cheap ball or FMJ stuff for training. Not hollow points.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
no no...it's all a part of obama's jobs program...mass producing bullets is a great economy booster! lord knows that the gov't needs more bullets! 2 birds with one stone...such a pal, barry!

edit on 3/30/12 by ICEKOHLD because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Leftist

200,000 DHS employees, and bullets are only good for about 1 year, so over 5 years that is 450 bullets per employee, with target practice, and qualifying their weapons it seems about right.

Doesn't seem excessive to me, I know individuals with 100s of 1000s of rounds in their closets!
edit on 30-3-2012 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-3-2012 by getreadyalready because: whoops, shoddy math!!
changed 4.5 to 450.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
one for each of us, and maybe extra just for fun. walking up and shooting someone in the head when they zip tied up could get old i imagine, might want to let us run a few yards first add some excitement and therefor the need for the extras, and of course peoples dogs too since they can be protective don't want to get bit now do ya.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Can someone please explain to me what "hollow point" means as to a normal bullet?

Many thanks in advance.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnigmaAgent
Can someone please explain to me what "hollow point" means as to a normal bullet?

Many thanks in advance.

It is a type of frangible bullet that peels back and spreads the force of impact once it encounters resistance like a person. It has less of a chance of passing through the target to an unintended target, and it inflicts more damage for a better chance at disabling or killing the target.

link   

Originally posted by EnigmaAgent

Many thanks in advance.

The tip is "hollowed" out to allow the bullet to expand on impact.

Increases the wound and limits penetration.

link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

i would be one of those individuals...with 1000's

link   
its an order for 450 million rounds maximum, which leaves it generally at 90 million rounds a year which sounds alot but i'm sure federal officers have to do range work every month and with other training and the main thing is that if something does happen they want a supplier who can deliver a large amount of ammo when required but i'd imagine its probably how the DHS stock system works with that they buy nationally and have to disperse the stock between the sites and each site needs to have enough so that agents wont be caught short

link   
i would imagine to shoot stuff with

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
to shoot terrorist of course.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
One for every American citizen, and some extras in case they miss.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by EnigmaAgent

A hollow point is a type of bullet

A hollow point is a bullet that has a pit or hollowed out shape in its tip, often intended to cause the bullet to expand upon entering a target in order to decrease penetration and disrupt more tissue as it travels through the target.

The hollow point is on the right in this picture

Compare that with Ball Ammo

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Bullets only good for a year? I have bullets that are 10 years old that fire just fine. I even have some 22lr bullets that are older than me (32) that cycle through my rifle with no problems. Gun powder will break down over time but I'm curious why you say they are good for a year.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Does nobody see the simplest answer??? Yeah, could be target practice, but why use hollow points in that practice?

It's simply 450 million bullets we the people can't buy. C'mon, think. They just destroyed the supply as demand is going up. Why ban guns when you can make bullets too expensive to buy? Like the recent extra tax on bullets, this is just another way of making it too expensive to bother with.

Americans will never give up their guns, but if they can't load them, what use are they?
edit on 30-3-2012 by Monsatan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Leftist

OK, I will take a stab at it.

Obama made mention of a new "civilian army". Maybe, just maybe, it is going to be Homeland Security? The article also mention ICE but I Highly doubt they are for ICE agents. After all how often do they shoot anyone?

Also, with all of the record gun sales recently, maybe it is a back door way for them to create a shortage in the ammo supply??? Everyone thinks that gold and silver is going to be the new wealth in the future but I disagree. How about ammo???? Need some food??? Barter with some ammo! Who is going to trade an ounce of gold for a little food?

What about Martial Law?? If they are going to start a war against Americans, they will damn sure need some ammo!

Bottom line,,,,,,this is being done in a very secretive way, and if it doesn't disturb people, then they are truely asleep.......

Peace!

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by MJZoo

Bullets only good for a year? I have bullets that are 10 years old that fire just fine. I even have some 22lr bullets that are older than me (32) that cycle through my rifle with no problems. Gun powder will break down over time but I'm curious why you say they are good for a year.

The government and military enforces a very rigid shelf life for stuff like that, individuals usually don't.

Explosives/ammunition/etc are inspected and retired continuously once they reach a certain age.
edit on 30-3-2012 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   

So do the ladies that work in administration or janitors or marketing people all train and have the 450 rounds to go through? I sure wouldn't think so, and I highly doubt that all 200,000 employees are packing heat. That said, the number probably sounds a lot higher than it is, and it is a matter of perspective. Gun owners get it, non-gun owners don't. I just think it is the feds keeping up with the citizens, as gun sales are off the charts and manufacturers are even stopping production. They can't have only us getting armed, they need the weapon systems and ammo too!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join