It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Murders are tragic but......

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I'm writing this because I'm just about to the end of my rope. I've read many others here say about the same thing for the same reasons. So, I'd like to take a moment and note a couple important facts about Murder in the United States, as we see thread after thread recently focusing on one or two as if this is an unusual event or something.....while yet others complain that ANOTHER murder here or there isn't reported and known to the world. A couple facts...

in 2010, the last complete year for data, there were 12,996 Homicides committed in the United States and reported to the FBI for statistical records. That breaks down to 35-36 Murders every day of every week, without Holiday or break. 365 days a year, every one of them with that many who shouldn't have died and didn't have to die but someone out there thought differently and killed them.

Why is one crime elevated above another? Why were the British tourists who were killed in Florida many years back due to their rental car sticker elevated to world news while a tourist killed in Anaheim, near Disneyland is of no interest to anyone, whatever?

Personally, I have no idea why the death of one is somehow more news worthy or valuable than the death of any other, but perhaps we could stop playing into the sick media games by rewarding them for the most outrageous coverage of human tragedy at it's worst. The more over-the-top the story and the more patently offensive it is, the more posts and threads it gets. Not just here, but Net-wide.

These are just the meandering thoughts of one lone Rabbit, but it seems to me that with 3 dozen killings per day in America we probably have far more pressing things of national importance and future survival to dedicate time and energy toward than bird-dogging the justice system for just 1 of those 3 dozen...from just one of the 365 days this year that number is likely to hold or grow.

F BI - Uniform Crime Reports for Homicide, 2010.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

crime and murder sell the news...

Its what people want to see...

Also why the US lives in fear...

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I'm assuming you refer to the Treyvane case.

While I agree with you, singling out one particular death over another seems pointless, the problem goes beyond that here.

Why are we constantly barraged with information on this particular case? Because someone intends we see it. Someone intends we become saturated with it. The real questions is...why?

If you consider how many potential news stories occur every single day, it becomes very obvious that what's reported as news is what the news company wanted to report. They can ignore news that doesn't fit their political or social agenda. And they can inflame a nation by continuing to report certain stories.

We're being played. Just like a violin. Luckily, some of us can still see that.

S&F for you, my friend.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Personally, I have no idea why the death of one is somehow more news worthy or valuable than the death of any other...

I think you'd half worked it out already.
The answer is all about whether the media can make money out of it. OUTRAGE sells media. OUTRAGE gets an audience.
The public dont get worked up over one druggy killing another druggy in a drug deal gone bad, or a family member killing another in a fight over a property, or a businesman killing his business partner... , but "RACIST WHITEY KILLS INNOCENT BLACK YOUTH" is a headline guaranteed to sell that mornings newspaper to every black person in the community. ** And because of the inevitable discussion, they know everyone else will buy the next days paper to see what the fuss is about.
So they milk that story for a while until they've extracted all the sales they can get from it before moving onto the next big seller. Whatever that may be. Kitten killers or child molesters or granny rapists or bent cops. It really doesnt matter, as long as the public can be outraged and emotionally invested.

( It cant work the other way of course becuase no media organisation would ever dare try to sell a "racist black person" story.)

new topics

top topics

join