It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christianity vs Atheism: The Facts

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by RevelationGeneration

Originally posted by SisyphusRide
reply to post by windword

I believe Jesus myself, he was the only one that fits the bill...

Great man. I totally miss him after reading that story

edit on 31-3-2012 by SisyphusRide because: (no reason given)

What does that mean? Unless you are born again you won't enter the kingdom of God.

Belief that he existed is not nearly enough.

Great! So you are sure that I will not have to spend my "afterlife" with all those believers?
wonderful, let's "sin" some more in order to make sure I don't end up there.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
That was kinda funny to be honest.... lol Can you do islam next?

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Everyone here does realize that Jesus isn't special, and never was?

In fact, his story was told a dozen times before the Christians even thought of writing about him. Before he was even born.

This whole Messiah thing was old when Jesus was born. What does that tell you? He's just another figurehead in a long line of figureheads...this one just happened to stick around longer.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iason321
reply to post by Starchild23

There is no convincing you, and I aim not to convince you.

My mission on these forums is to defend the integrity of my faith, and help strenghten fellow brothers in Christ.

I could careless about atheists, new age believers, muslims, etc etc on this forum, aside from proving them wrong and arguing with them.

Exactly. Faith. The choice to believe in a concept for no other reason than to have something to believe in...otherwise, you have no purpose and no guidance, and feel like a lost sheep.

This is, in short, your existential defense mechanisms at work.

Don't expect me to follow your crazy rules and definitions for the sake of your own fears.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by SisyphusRide

Jesus is one man you can believe

Oh sure. I have not heard one word from the mouth of this man, who reportedly died thousands of years ago in a world that believed the sun revolved around it and the earth was flat, and yet I should take his word for it...despite the fact that it isn't technically his word, but the word of the men who were entrusted with the task of recording his work, and whom we can never prove actually did their job...

But we choose to believe it because otherwise, we have absolutely no proof that there is a reason for our existence, there is something to look forward to after our death, and that everything around us is not absolutely freakin' random. Because that would mean...well, we're nothing, right? Just pure accidents.

And that would bring us unthinkable disappointment. Because in the end, we all want to feel special. And this is the best way to do it.

Yep...totally gonna buy that bucket of horse #. In fact, I may as well pay in cash for a ride to Santa Claus in the North Pole. Gonna buy him a new sleigh, too. Maybe he'll actually get me that video game I've been looking at.

edit on CWednesdayam232340f40America/Chicago04 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by Starchild23
If we had no religion, the world would be in a much worse condition. People are far more willing to commit heinous crimes when they believe there is only oblivion beyond death, and nothing to hold them accountable for their actions save their peers...after all, moral is based on religion, correct?

Animals have very moral social structures. When's the last time you've seen an animal reading the bible? Baseless argument.

This is a great article about a Missionary turned Atheist - - - because of a people that have no God.

From Missionary to Atheist - - The Pirahã: People Who Define Happiness Without God

I noticed they didn’t store food. They know how to smoke and salt meat, but they almost never do that. When they bring in meat, they give it away to everyone. I asked one of them, “Don’t you want to keep meat for tomorrow?” He said, “I keep my meat in my brother’s belly. That’s where I keep what I have. I store it with my friends.”

There were a lot of values there I wasn’t prepared for, and actually those sound pretty much like values that a lot of religious people ascribe to, or aspire to, and yet they had them.

One of the most important values in Pirahã culture is what I call immediacy of experience. If you look at their stories, they don’t talk about things to come. They might talk about what they’re going to do tomorrow based on the things they’re doing today. They don’t talk about the distant future. They don’t talk about the distant past. All of their stories and all of their songs have to do with what they did today, what they saw today. They don’t make a big distinction between dreaming and regular experience. They don’t think that dreaming is just regular experience, but it’s another experience, and they don’t talk about them as being that different.ffrf.org...

edit on 1-4-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)

No, animals have very survivalist social structures. They understand that conflict within the group results in inefficient hunting, and therefore starvation. They also realizing attacking each other can leave their group with only two or three in any condition to hunt, the rest sporting bites and scratches.

Also, anyone basing their culture on animals is going to do a much better job of surviving and getting along...after all, all the animals have is pure instinct. What are the chances those instincts will do the exact opposite of their purpose? What are the chances they will walk straight into death?

Not very likely.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
When asked the question "Do you believe in God?"

If you say 'Yes' you're a theist

If you say ANYTHING else, including 'I don't know'..........you're an atheist

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Prezbo369

No. I am polycredic.

Theism, in the broadest sense, is the belief that at least one deity exists.

What if someone believes that there is the thing we call a "god", but has a different description of it? What if "entity" or "being" is not a part of that description? Then it matches neither.

It is best to accept that even with black and white, there will be plenty of gray areas in this subject.

Also, I would like to add this:

An entity is something that exists by itself

If we take entity to be synonymous with being, then we assume they have the same definitions. And the belief in an "entity" or "being" is an essential part of theism. So, if one believes in a god, but doesn't believe it exists by itself (i.e. it is many things, and everything, and therefore technically not alone) then that would not fall in line with theism.

Therefore, I shall stick with my self-proclaimed label of "polycredic" (giving credit to various parts of many faiths and sciences).

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

who knows what they believed before Copernicus? you'd have to ask the world taming Catholic Church... the truth is Copernicus actually probably believed Jesus too.

the stories of Jesus you can believe in when you try to determine what type of man he was...

Jesus was a total dissident somewhat like America's founders... We are America, no religious institution is to invade these shores... all are welcome while we explore.

she is liberty... she came to rescue me.

edit on 4-4-2012 by SisyphusRide because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I will say it again...

You cannot always convince a man of the truth, but you can always make him believe a lie.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   

I will say it again...

You cannot always convince a man of the truth, but you can always make him believe a lie.

And who is going to determine the difference?

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   

I will say it again...

what lie... that we are not slaves?

Christ they should teach 3 classes of history in public schools I'm tellin ya!

stop thinking of your own personal individual please, we are never going to get to a 0.5g environment even!

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

I was watching some science show about the recent sightings of Jesus appearing like an apparition, statue eyes bleeding and all kind of crazy stuff.

the government believes they have identified this visibly disembodied spirit and it is believe him to be an American!

that would be totally cool cause I'm an American too

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   

I will say it again...

stop thinking of your own personal individual please, we are never going to get to a 0.5g environment even!

I was thinking of belief being more powerful than truth...in this case, the belief that there is or is not a god. And even with each of these beliefs, there are still more beliefs defining the precise details of individual opinions.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   

I will say it again...

Did you not stop to think before blaspheming our Lords name in vein before you made that post?

You know this is the religious forums and there are Christian members here. Please show some respect, unless you are only here to get a reaction out of people.

Thanks.
edit on 4-4-2012 by RevelationGeneration because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   

I will say it again...

I was thinking of belief being more powerful than truth...in this case, the belief that there is or is not a god. And even with each of these beliefs, there are still more beliefs defining the precise details of individual opinions.
there is a God but he is not on earth just at this moment... We're hanging out waiting for him.

no one is God on earth never again! never!!

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by RevelationGeneration

sorry I was invoking like a prayer.

sorry if it offended anyone...

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 04:57 AM
link   

What if someone believes that there is the thing we call a "god", but has a different description of it? What if "entity" or "being" is not a part of that description? Then it matches neither.

The word 'God' is a noun used to describe all the entities, deities, invisible friends or space-ghost aliens that come under that label, all shapes and sizes, from the flying spaghetti monster to Jesus.

If we take entity to be synonymous with being, then we assume they have the same definitions. And the belief in an "entity" or "being" is an essential part of theism. So, if one believes in a god, but doesn't believe it exists by itself (i.e. it is many things, and everything, and therefore technically not alone) then that would not fall in line with theism.

Therefore, I shall stick with my self-proclaimed label of "polycredic" (giving credit to various parts of many faiths and sciences).

Theism is the belief that at least one deity exists, you're a theist.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Prezbo369

If you say "I don't know" you are an agnostic.....

if you add "I'm looking into it personally", you are a "seeker"..... neither an agnostic nor a seeker is "atheist" as they have not decided there is NOTHING to be considered a Higher Power.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes
If you say "I don't know" you are an agnostic.....

An agnostic atheist yes

Originally posted by wildtimes

if you add "I'm looking into it personally", you are a "seeker"..... neither an agnostic nor a seeker is "atheist" as they have not decided there is NOTHING to be considered a Higher Power.

......well yes they have, otherwise they would've come to the conclusion that there is SOMETHING to be considered a higher power, a God........and thus be theists

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join