It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arkansas court strikes down law banning teacher-student sex

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
USA Today

A 38 year old teacher (male) had consensual sex with an 18 year old student. Wouldn't this have been better served as a "rule" for a particular school rather than trying to make it a law?

Nothing surprises me when it comes from the bible belt.
edit on 30-3-2012 by Paschar0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Paschar0

Nothing surprises me from when it comes from the bible belt.

I didn't want to respond. These types of threads always get me into trouble, but I just had to point out the irony in this statement.

So, "Nothing surprises" you in the Bible Belt? Does that mean you aren't surprised that a teacher would be having sex with a student in Arkansas? Or that a they would need a law forbidding such a thing? Or that a law forbidding such a thing would be struck down and thereby basically approving the behavior? I just want to know which particular Arkansas stereotype you are trying to insult?

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Should be a school policy, not a law, at the very most it should be a state or county thing. This thing happens all the time. Ever listen to "don't stand so close to me" by the Police? Sting sure is one of those down south redneck bible beaters, eh?

Girl was 18, so what? It's not illegal.
edit on 30-3-2012 by Mr Headshot because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

Nothing surprises me from when it comes from the bible belt.

I didn't want to respond. These types of threads always get me into trouble, but I just had to point out the irony in this statement.

So, "Nothing surprises" you in the Bible Belt? Does that mean you aren't surprised that a teacher would be having sex with a student in Arkansas? Or that a they would need a law forbidding such a thing? Or that a law forbidding such a thing would be struck down and thereby basically approving the behavior? I just want to know which particular Arkansas stereotype you are trying to insult?

I thought it was fairly obvious and having lived in Hot Springs for a short time, I speak from experience as well.

Bible thumpers, which are prevalent among their law makers as well, love to introduce laws like this. They're not exclusive in being wrong, they just take extra zeal when it comes to pursuing it. Aside from Clinton's mother, whom I met before she passed, almost everyone I met there lived up to the stereotype. So I hope this clears things up for you.

They're both adults. Legally, should be a no brainer.
edit on 30-3-2012 by Paschar0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Headshot

Should be a school policy, not a law, at the very most it should be a state or county thing. This thing happens all the time. Ever listen to "don't stand so close to me" by the Police? Sting sure is one of those down south redneck bible beaters, eh?

Girl was 18, so what? It's not illegal.
edit on 30-3-2012 by Mr Headshot because: (no reason given)

Isn't that what he said?

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Well, most stereotypes are based in fact. I lived in Springdale for awhile, and I lived the majority of my life on the Missouri/Arkansas/Kansas/Oklahoma border..... the "4-state area." Anyhow, the most typical stereotype would be the inbred one, and a student-teacher relationship is the next best thing. Then you have the religious do-gooders trying to legislate morality, which is always a mistake, and then, in this case, you have the courts over-turning the do-gooders, which is good, except that in doing so they basically endorse behavior that reinforces the other stereotype!
It gets very, very messy!

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
deleted
edit on 30-3-2012 by KTATS because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by KTATS

Yes, and I wasn't disagreeing with him.

new topics

top topics

join