Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

20 Signs of Complete Collapse of Common Sense in America

page: 4
35
<< 1  2  3   >>

log in

join

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
The Social Issue - Common sense in America has completely collapsed.
Interesting ... feel free to add your own 'signs' that common sense has collapsed in America ...

20 Signs that we are witnessing the complete collapse of common sense in America
Some 'Signs' paraphrased (to shorten post) from the article-

- FBI agents have been taught that they can “bend or suspend the law”
- TSA agents have been charged with many crimes but continue be in charge of airport security.
- JFK employees steal approximately 200 pieces of luggage a day - can't be stopped.
- U.S. military electronic parts purchased from China
- Student expelled from school for cussing on Twitter.
- Chicago police believe they can terminate our First Amendment rights at any time.
- American cruelty towards Americans.
- Taking out student loans for KINDERGARTEN
- Mass. town distributes free condoms to 12 year old children.
- Children are exposed to enormous amounts of sexual material but we are shocked when they act out on it.
- raids on private farms to kill pigs that have "the wrong hair color"
- Obama's executive order taking complete control over all food, all energy, all health resources, all transportation resources and "all other materials, services, and facilities"
- Americans hestiant to help other Americans.
- Brawls have been erupting at Chuck E. Cheese restaurants all over the nation.
- Thieves looking for scrap metal break into churches and rip the copper piping out of the walls.
- Tide detergent has become an alternative form of currency on the streets of America.
- New federal rules ban kids on farms from doing many of the most basic kinds of farm chores under the new regulations.


I disagree with most of the points here. I think the list is over dramatized. Firstly, the article doesn't directly define contemporary American common sense. Either I can assume that common sense is the opposite of these 20 points, or apply my beliefs about common sense. 100 years ago it was common sense, for the American people to believe the government was completely truthful. 70 years ago, it was common sense for a black person in the south not to enter a segregated facility. I'm hitting a block thinking of more recent examples, but you get the point.

I wonder what he thinks when he watches foreign television. Mexican media for example, is one of the most sexualized and superficial.

As you can see, common sense changes with the times. I think Americans have undergone a major paradigm shift post 9/11. We live in the age of fear, which is the reason for some of the points on the list. The quoted article is known for it's histrionic rants on economic collapse. On these points, seeing as these are problems to him he should have offered up some solutions to them.

This is nothing but society in action. Ethical questions will be asked, just like in the past. What causes the sense of alarm now?
edit on 31-3-2012 by CaptainNemo because: (no reason given)




posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   
since we are discussing the lack of common sense, I thought you all would enjoy this!

Subject: Obituary of the late Mr. Common Sense

> Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who
> has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was,
> since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape. He
> will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as:

> Knowing when to come in out of the rain; Why the early bird gets the
> worm; Life isn't always fair; and Maybe it was my fault.
>
>Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more
>than you can earn) and reliable strategies (adults, not children, are in
>charge).
>
>His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well-intentioned but
>overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a 6 -year-old boy
>charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended
>from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for
>reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

>Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the
>job that they themselves had failed to do in disciplining their unruly
>children. It declined even further when schools were required to get
>parental consent to administer sun lotion or a band-aid to a
>student; but could not inform parents when a student became pregnant and
>wanted to have an abortion.
>
>Common Sense lost the will to live as the Ten Commandments became
>contraband; churches became businesses; and criminals received better
>treatment than their victims. Common Sense took a beating when you
>couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar
>could sue you for assault.
>
>Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to
>realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in
>her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.
>
>Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust;
his wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and his son, Reason.
>
>He is survived by his
>3 stepbrothers; I Know My Rights, Someone Else Is To Blame, and I'm A
Victim.
>
>Not many attended his funeral because so few
>realized he was gone. If you still remember him, pass this on.
>If not, join the majority and do nothing.
>
>
>



posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 04:20 AM
link   
reply to post by knoledgeispower
 


Their repressive Christian parents will never give them condoms or even TELL them about safe sex.

If they even dare to have a child out of wedlock, unless the parents are tolerant (most unlikely), their child will be labeled a "bastard" and they'll be shunned.

Teach your kids sex ed and at the same time, show them how it relates to your religion. I don't see a link.



posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Some modern Common Sense ideas:

Live on a mainly cash only basis. Live simply it is simpler.

Learn to garden and can produce.

Always, always look down in the fast food bag and account your food before driving away from the fast food _ Especially in South Carolina.

Travel in the nation to avoid all the security hassels of international traveling. Such as never put the dirty underwear on the to portion of the suitcase. Bag it up. Chances are you are the person they will target to open your suitcase. Dump out water from the water bottle before security, and refill it on the other side in the restroom.
Good Grief! What alot of silly work to save three plus dollars!

Sell off the broken gold jewlery while the gold prices are high, this gold thing won't last forever. Eventually it will be real easte, such as land, as the new gold. Especially with the population explosion.

Never go boating on a Holiday. The lake will be filled with drunks. The Government judical program may take a decade to put the criminal in jail and pay restitional damages. Especially if the hit and run drunk is a nuclear plant governement worker.
edit on 1-4-2012 by frugal because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Don't kid yourself people, the death of Common Sense was murder.

When Common Sense got in the way of corporate profits, a hit was put out on Common Sense.

When it was decided that laws against corporations doing things like pouring poisons into our water supply were bad for business, and so bad for the country, Corporate leaders decided Common Sense had to go, so they ordered the hit.

Then the lawyers took over, and it has been the rule of insanity ever since.



posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by sealing

Originally posted by kn0wh0w


nuff said..
edit on 30-3-2012 by kn0wh0w because: (no reason given)



My lord that was brilliant.
Who knew you could sum up
the collapse of western society
with one well placed pic?

Greetings:

We see your Jersey Shore and raise you this:




Peace Love Light
tfw
[align=center][color=magenta]Liberty & Equality or Revolution[/align]



posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan
 

Greetings:

Great thread!

Can't seem to leave well-enough alone...





posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Don't be silly. Common Sense is alive and well for those who choose to hear him.

However, he has been so thoroughly ridiculed, humiliated, discredited, and mocked that most people are afraad to admit they listen to him.

I think it's a conspiracy, and it's gotten so bad that people actually receive BRIBES for pretending they've never heard of him (like the lady who spilled her hot coffee). Who isn't going to deny that they know him when there are such financial rewards to be had?

The truth is, in the privacy of our own homes we avoid touching the hot stove, keep the electric razor out of the shower, throw out foods that are green and fuzzy, keep the sharp knives and toxic chemicals out of reach of the small children, and don't pet (or name) the scorpion we find in the bathtub.

Yes, Virginia, Common Sense is still with us. The problem is that too many Americans publicly deny him for the sake of peer pressure or financial gain.

Furthermore, the government and other "Powers That Be" use the reports of his demise to replace him with their interpretations of sense and logic, which are seriously flawed.

But I know he's not dead. He was spotted yesterday at a McDonald's where some lady was putting a few pieces of ice in her coffee to cool it down before trying to drink it. Oh wait .. that was me!

Shoot. Now you're all going to think I'm crazy..



posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
The thing about common sense is: it just ain't that common.



posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan
 


Apart from some geographical specifics, you could be listing things from any nation and we would all be in the same position.

However, the vast majority is beyond your control, and how much of it actually affects you?

Does it change your life to know these things are happening? Is there anything you can do change any of it?
I'm guessing no. So why bother worrying about any of it?

It makes for interesting debates and discussions, but when these things do not affect us what is the point other than it being interesting or cause for discussion?

I would suggest that people need to focus on the things that actually harm them. Don't worry about kids being given condoms, unless it's your kid. Don't worry about the kid on twitter, unless it's your kid. Don't worry about the people fighting in a restaurant, unless it's your restaurant.

Worry about the laws your government is passing to remove your freedoms, and worry about the growing social unrest that might affect you in a couple of weeks or months, keep an eye on the state of Greece and how that collapse will spread to shut down your bank within six hours...

Worry about the things that actually put you at risk, everything else is just noise to be talked about.



posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword
reply to post by knoledgeispower
 


Their repressive Christian parents will never give them condoms or even TELL them about safe sex.

If they even dare to have a child out of wedlock, unless the parents are tolerant (most unlikely), their child will be labeled a "bastard" and they'll be shunned.

Teach your kids sex ed and at the same time, show them how it relates to your religion. I don't see a link.


Oh, really? What a broad generalization and incorrect
Loosing common sense boarder insanity
using ABORTION as birth control and political control
any christian parent would rather have a bastard then
a dead aborted bastard duuuh
atleast they don't tell them ABORTION is the way out.
I'd take a shunning over not being here anyday
edit on 1-4-2012 by popsmayhem because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Taupin Desciple
reply to post by FlyersFan
 


I appreciate the time you took to post this, but for every problem there is a solution. You couldn't have posted any?





"I am not my brothers keeper" Jesus Christ
edit on 1-4-2012 by rebellender because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by hhott
 


Have you ever read the real story behind the spilled coffee lawsuit?

One of the most irresponsible acts of journalism in modern history.

The ignorance, The ignorance.



posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by flexy123
 


And I must disagree with you. Do you really think that the U.S. is far from being sexualized?? Surely you jest, friend. Full nudity on your European television means nothing. Have you really seen the commercials here? Heard the music choices young people have to choose from lately? Whenever something is supposedly forbidden to young people, and you give them bits and pieces of it, they want to indulge that much more. If it's ''normal'', it's less enticing. And another thing, exposing your children to adult sexual situations doesn't make Europe any greater than our society here in the States...in fact, it's a disservice to your children.



posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Talk about late to the party. Common sense has been dead in the US since the people elected their first spokesmodel president. Everything that followed is karma.



posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrspiggy
reply to post by FlyersFan
 


Hi Flyers Fan, intersting OP, this list could go on for a long time, but the one that sticks out to me all the time is..
How about sheople still believe, 19 aircraft hijackers, managed to destroy the security and social fabric of America and many other "free" countries!

Proves common sense is not so common...blinders please, is what these people really are saying.


exactly!! and NOW 5 of these guys are facing death penalty trial in guantanamo. if i was waterboarded ONE TIME i would say i masterminded the whole thing. 11 years later and countless discrepancies regarding the facts of 9/11, we're still ready to kill these guys.









 
35
<< 1  2  3   >>

log in

join