It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

State Troopers hold ticket writing competition for pizza prize

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Once a week I check all my lights on my vehicles. I do not speed, not a mile over the limit. I wear my seat belt. I use my turn signals. I make complete stops at stop signs, etc.I have not had a ticket since 1995.
I have friends who are getting tickets on a pretty regular basis. They always ask me what my secret is. I give them the same answer every time- OBEY THE TRAFFIC LAWS! You'd swear I called their mother a whore. Is the place you're going in jeopardy of disappearing in the time it takes you to get there? Running late for work? Dont you take the same route every day? Try leaving 5-10 minutes earlier.
The worst part? Getting cussed out, flipped off, threatened and swerved at for obeying the law.......

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by sligtlyskeptical

Really? I obey all the traffic laws, speed limit included and I havent been in an accident since 1994. And that was due to some twit not looking for my motorcycle and ran the stop sign.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Who said quotas are still a myth? its already been self admitted by a police officer

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
What's wrong with them rewarding themselves for doing their job?

We have contests in our office too and we are rewarded with who can make the most sales in a day.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Magnum007
come on, people break the law all the time, and most of the year we turn our heads the other way without giving tickets...

So what if they give tickets in a "blitz" for 1 day? nobody is making anything up, they are doing their job without using their discretionary powers; you're caught doing something and breaking the law, you get a ticket...

what's wrong with that? don't want a ticket, then don't speed, do your stops, and follow the rules of the road... it's YOUR responsibility to do so... get caught? get a ticket...

I am a human being not a mindless computer. We all make the odd mistake when driving. The Police are not there to help, they are there to raise $$$. I demand a free society. Yes rules are necessary. But every rule needs to allow for exceptions. Police used to do that. They used to be nice people on the hole. Now they are not nice people. They are arrogant and power mad. They are always right and their interpretation is the only one that matters.

P

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
About the time anyone thinks this system is not a farse-B-L-A-M, HERE comes this kind of news.

Just the other day, at the local golf club, and three judges and one lawyer laughing their arses off of just how many idiots they got for DUI'S the night before
, so funny I almost didn't remember the conversation

crickets
edit on 30-3-2012 by allprowolfy because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-3-2012 by allprowolfy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Yes it is ridiculous when one considers that a speeding ticket can cost easily 300 bucks. In Portland local news investigated a large number of improper turn tickets and they found that 98% of them were from one cop, but the cop was protected in saying he did everything correctly.

This is nothing more than modern highway robbery with little "safety" as a reason for it.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I saw this on the news tonight. I live about 5 miles from this barracks, and, well, we DO have really good pizza around here! LOL

Seriously, though, it really irks me that employers have to 'bribe' employees with rewards to do their job. This starts in grade school where everyone gets a gold star just for showing up. I always thought the reward of a good job was the right to get to keep that job! Silly me.....

And, regarding revenue, CT taxes everything except O2. The state raised taxes on everything in July, made withholding taxes retroactive to January. OK, they say we're broke and we have to balance the budget, blah, blah, blah. So the citizens suck it up and say, ok, for a few years, just cut the darn spending. Then what does our esteemed governor do??? Implements for the first time ever a state earned income credit for lower income people. WHAAAT? I thought we were broke!

Oh, don't get me started......

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by sligtlyskeptical
The vast majority of all accidents involve people driving below the speed limit. Speed limits are for generating revenue and not much more.

I would like to see the stats on that. Really - "driving below the speed limit?"

Speed limits are there for one reason - to stop people speeding. It's not really that difficult. If you don't want a ticket - don't speed. A lot of my friends and family would still be alive and in one piece if people didn't speed. One of my family was not even in a car - she was standing at a bus shelter waiting for a bus - and lost both of her legs. Speed kills.

And, I can't see the problem with offering pizza. It is an incentive. My boss gives me incentives.

And, I love pizza. I would do nearly anything for a free pizza. I can't afford it to buy it. And from what I've seen your pizzas are larger than ours here in Australia.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by PlantGirl

Seriously, though, it really irks me that employers have to 'bribe' employees with rewards to do their job. This starts in grade school where everyone gets a gold star just for showing up. I always thought the reward of a good job was the right to get to keep that job! Silly me.....

You bring up a good point... American society is corrupt : the people are spineless, believe that they deserve everything (sense of entitlement), and expect people to cater to their needs immediately... Not to mention that they are always right! Don't get me started on intelligence... People believe that when they work, they deserve to be told "good job Chuck! keep it up!" otherwise they seem to feel like they aren't adequate... People seem to NEED this encouragement and validation to continue to work properly...

This is also why people whine when the police tell them that they did something wrong and hand them a ticket, or arrest them... Hell no! They can do no wrong! It's injustice! Stupid pigs!

Idiots...

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Reply to post by Magnum007

Wait, so more cops on a scene stop the kid from getting hit how?

I'm trying to work this one out.

The benign situation being the traffic stop.

A cop stops a speeder. Then 4 other cars show up and they all stand around with their thumbs up their asses. Presumably stopping the speeder saved the kid. Didnt require all those cops on scene.

Speeder hits kid. 6 cars show up an ambulance and two fire trucks. How does that stop the kid from being hit?

I don't understand how more cops responding to a benign situation saves a kid from being hit.

Perhaps you have a better example? One that doesn't rely on emotional tripe such as "children" or one that relies on a series of "what ifs"?

Youre really enforcing my opinion that departments are grossly overstaffed.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Hahahahaha! you are something you!

The traffic operations are meant to make stupid people aware of the traffic laws. This is when you make a big scene with lots of flashing lights and make people aware that speed kills.

Traffic stops are different. In the US today, you need the 4 cars. Especially with more stupid people advocating killing cops for "breaching civil liberties" and their idiot interpretation of the "right to bear arms"...

It's those die hard idiots who make this job more difficult and which drain resources. So yes, they are necessary now in the circumstances because Americans in general have become stupid and need to be reminded every so often that the law exists and that they need to follow it.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Reply to post by Magnum007

I see your department has gotten all the latest "homegrown extremist" literature.

Let me return the child being hit back at you.

Who says "sorry" when a child is hit while a half dozen cops write a traffic ticket on the other side of the neighborhood?

I suppose now it becomes a case of which story is more sad: the child being hit when there was no cop around or the cop being shot when there was no backup around?

Either way it's win-win, right? Because both situations get more money for the department when the town budget comes up.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Come to think of it, which is even more likely?

People get hit by cars with regularity. How many cops get shot by homegrown extremists? Last one around here was shot by a habitual offender from another state running from a drug charge.

Are you just trying to call me names in a cute way by bringing that up? Must be given how unlikely a scenario it is.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Originally posted by Common Good
They should stick to the criminals. Not the family in the mini van.

So Mom or Dad are incapable of transgressing traffic laws and putting their family and others in danger?

Like the member said above, if you don't want a ticket, drive accordingly.

With all due respect, your Canadian. I have been to Canada, it's a wonderful place and nothing like living in the USA. In the USA you DO NOT have to drive poorly or break the rules of the road to get a ticket.

I once got pulled over and got a ticket for "failure to use a turn signal". Sounds harmless enough right? I was driving a big ol boat of car, It was a late 70's Cutlass. At the time I was turning, with my turn signal on and the cop was behind me. As soon as I made my right turn, he turned on his police lights and I was in the left hand lane of a 2 lane road. So of course I waited for traffic to clear, made the next turn and pulled into a parking lot.

The very first thing the Officer said to me was, "At first I thought you did not use a turn signal but I can see you have one of those lights that blink really slow." Again, very old car and I used my turn signal to pull into this parking lot after he pulled me over. Now that he saw it was very possible that I used my turn signal, and he may have been mistaken, do you think he let me go? Of course not!! He gave me a ticket anyway because maybe I did use it, and maybe I didn't use it. He could not be sure.

Who is in danger if my tag light is out? No one, but it is a ticket worth $150.00 in some places. Especially in Kansas

There are places in the US that are known for giving people tickets for driving even 1 mph over the speed limit. I can think of one place in particular in Ohio, although I do not remember the name of the town anymore.

Although I do agree if you are speeding, you deserve a ticket, but 1 or 2 mph over the limit is just silly. Pulling someone over and giving them a ticket for not wearing a seat belt... again is silly. If I choose not to wear a seat belt, it does not put others in danger. So this premise that anyone who gets a ticket is putting others in danger is just false. In the US we can get a ticket for any number of things that have nothing to do with poor driving or placing others in danger.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Truthandinfo
I would like to see the stats on that. Really - "driving below the speed limit?"

Slow drivers lead to more accidents

VA raises speed limits to make roads safer

In the end it's about the driver failing to operate safely.

Only a fool trusts signage.

Try going the speed limit on the Mass Pike. You'll get yourself killed as everyone else will be cutting across lanes, passing on the right, and zipping by you at 80-100. Even the Mass troopers.

Vehicle conditions, driver alertness, road conditions, flowing traffic, all play a part in determining what a safe rate of travel should be. Static signage is essentially a moot point in the face of dynamic conditions.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Hahahahaha! you are something you!

The traffic operations are meant to make stupid people aware of the traffic laws. This is when you make a big scene with lots of flashing lights and make people aware that speed kills.

Hmm does speed kill?....

We can all agree that there is a safe way and a unsafe way to drive, but I think tickets have long since changed from a control tool for safety and is now a major way to bleed funds from the public. It's not that cops are slowing down anytime soon from handing out tickets. The 50 miles I drive to work I see at least three radar traps, EVERY DAY, and these traps are in places to set people up.

Some examples....

Speed limit drops 10 to 20 miles per hour for really no apparent reason, and a cop always has his radar right there to catch the ones who are not quick enough to slow down before the limit change.

Speed traps on a long downhill...to catch the guy not wanting to ride his brakes and drifts a little over the limit.

Speed traps just before a large speed limit increase... I got a ticket 50 feet from a speed limit sign that increased the speed from 25 to 50 when 100 yards away I started to slowly increase my speed and a cop gave me a ticket for doing 35 in a 25 and told me he gives out tickets all day because you are not allowed to increase until you pass the sign...geez all safety there.

A 5 over ticket is like 250 bucks...250 BUCKS that is just crazy....

When cops treat this like a game....that really pisses me off when we are talking large sums of money loss as their goal....

Safety..give me a break

edit on 31-3-2012 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Ok ok! You all win! Abolish cops, no need for them...

We are better off with idiot cowboys packin heat and administering curbside justice as they wish... No need for any help from the police, no need for firemen, no need for army... hey, everyone for themselves!!!

Let the poor be poor, the rich get rich, the criminals shoot you all up... No worries, anarchy is the way!

When this will happen, I will so move to the US and pillage all the fat, weak, stupid americans and then go home at 160 MPH rich... It will be like fishing in a barrel...

What a bunch of idiots...
edit on 12/3/31 by Magnum007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

Originally posted by Truthandinfo

Slow drivers lead to more accidents

VA raises speed limits to make roads safer

In the end it's about the driver failing to operate safely.

Only a fool trusts signage.

Try going the speed limit on the Mass Pike. You'll get yourself killed as everyone else will be cutting across lanes, passing on the right, and zipping by you at 80-100. Even the Mass troopers.

Vehicle conditions, driver alertness, road conditions, flowing traffic, all play a part in determining what a safe rate of travel should be. Static signage is essentially a moot point in the face of dynamic conditions.

I agree that all those things play a part - but signs are there to advise. Without signs we would have more accidents.

I disagree though that slow drivers cause more accidents.

What causes road crashes

Top 25 causes of car accidents

Near misses are not accidents. Speed kills.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Ok ok! You all win! Abolish cops, no need for them...

We are better off with idiot cowboys packin heat and administering curbside justice as they wish... No need for any help from the police, no need for firemen, no need for army... hey, everyone for themselves!!!

Let the poor be poor, the rich get rich, the criminals shoot you all up... No worries, anarchy is the way!

When this will happen, I will so move to the US and pillage all the fat, weak, stupid americans and then go home at 160 MPH rich... It will be like fishing in a barrel...

What a bunch of idiots...
edit on 12/3/31 by Magnum007 because: (no reason given)

Sounds like someone got their feelings hurt. Why don't you bitch some more?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join