It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Really cool globe: The Orbitarium

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 04:21 AM
link   
I came across this globe while researching another thread; and I thought it too cool to not share. The globe is called the Orbitarium and you can own one yourself; probably for a hefty price though...I don't know if Vimeo videos can be embedded but here is a link: vimeo.com... For those that cannot see the video; it is a projection globe, it has two HD projectors inside of it that can project images viewed from the outside of the globe; such as weather, the earth lit up at night, air traffic, and many other neat projections. This website is where you could get one: www.arcscience.com... the site also has more videos and details about the globe as it is a retailer; for museums, colleges, etc. they are available as small as 32"

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 04:40 AM
link   
I was able to see one of these in action at the smithsonian institute, I would love to have one myself but probably way out of my price range.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 04:50 AM
link   
A touch interface on that globe and it would be pretty cool.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkchemistry

This a great-I just checked out the "brochure" .pdf on the link-The small one is 32" and the big is 60"

Awesome that you can tailor your viewing with the software,and so can upload new content from all the latest weather satellites and space viewing telescopes.
It does audio as well,so you could get two-and then create a space battle game where you attack each others planets!!
Or you could have a sims type game on the globes,wired up to the net with loads of worlds building stuff..
I wonder if anyone has used one of these in a science fiction film-It would look right at home on the bridge of an interstellar spaceship,showing orbital trajectories and such.

I would go for the 60" suspended version myself.
If I had loads of money to burn-I bet they cost thousands...
Couldn't see a price list on the site though.
Anyone know how much they cost?

edit on 30/3/2012 by Silcone Synapse because: extra letters moved about for your reading pleasure as always

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
It is a very beautiful globe; with a lot of neat things that it can display. Of course I have a small fetish for lamp type objects anyway like a moth...I have always been thrilled with the regular old light up globes from the 70's and this is like the pinnacle of lit globes out there.

It's neat how you can customise it to display anything you'd like too...as more information comes in about other planets you could display them as well. I have no idea about price; I have searched quite abit and can't find anything...so I feel like it could give some sticker shock; if they want you to inquire...possible to hit with a sales pitch before the price. Dark resturants with a microscopic font menu comes to mind :p Here's a review with more specs and a good Q and A at the bottom: en.souvr.com...

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

Really nice ideas; it sounds like you'd do very good at brainstorming product markets; if that isn't what you do already.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by mileysubet

I can imagine this thing looked a million times neater in person than in video...

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkchemistry

Really nice ideas; it sounds like you'd do very good at brainstorming product markets; if that isn't what you do already.

Hey thanks!
No its not what I do-But sounds good,getting paid for ideas-I could live with that.
And(some) folks do say I have good ideas.

I was thinking more about the globe-I bet you could set up an interface so that a Microsoft "surface" computer could be used to navigate the globe,change between planets,zoom in etc.
That would be great,to make it more interactive.
Using something like this:

Thanks to Mianeye for that video-
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   

I don't see why it couldn't...from the Q&A

Q: Who besides ARC creates content?

A: Anyone can. As discussed on our "Creating Content" page, content can be as simple as a 2:1 rectangular global image (we prefer 3000x1500 pixel JPG's). We can provide a base Earth image or you can choose your own background image and overlay whatever global data you'd like to see. Once the images are created they can be displayed on the OmniGlobe using ARC's OmniExplorer software. This includes the ability to display complex animations created in 2D software such as Adobe AfterEffects and converted to the spherical geometry using ARC's Geometer software. Content can also be created with powerful 3D software packages such as Discreet's 3D Studio Max® or NewTek's Lightwave®. The images and frames of animations are automatically converted into the correct geometry for display on the OmniGlobe by ARC's Geometer software.

Making it a touch interface will probably come in the future...
edit on 31-3-2012 by Darkchemistry because: extra

top topics

join