It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A few (very minor) suggestions about the board interface

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Hello. I haven't been here all that long but I'm enjoying this board immensely. So, first and foremost, thank you.

I have two suggestions about the interface, however. They are minor points but they have been bugging me a little.

First point: When you open up a long thread with lots of pages, you get a list of pages on the first page that looks like this:

>

It gives you links to the first four pages. But if its a long thread, it doesn't link to the end. I would suggest something like the following:

>

(assuming the thread in question has 18 pages). This would allow somebody to jump from the first to the last pages and would also let the reader know how many pages the thread has.

Second point: When I submitted a story to breaking alt news earlier, I noticed it didn't show up in the list of my threads on the "My ATS" page, until I clicked "subscribe". I noticed that every other thread I post or post in shows up there automatically, but not the breaking alt news thread. Is there a reason for it? Was this a once-off problem or is it always like that?

Like I said, these are minor points, so I hate to come across as nit-picking but they are just suggestions. Thank you again for such a great website.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Leftist

First point: When you open up a long thread with lots of pages, you get a list of pages on the first page that looks like this:

>

It gives you links to the first four pages. But if its a long thread, it doesn't link to the end.

It you click after the last number where it shows this >> you'll be taken to the very last page.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Leftist

Explanation:

FYI the >> bit IS the link to the last page in the thread ..just the same as the

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:54 AM
link   
I would like to see a way to select which page of a thread you want to visit. If you know you left off on page five, being able to access a drop down and go to five would be nice.

I know you can type it into the URL, but most people will probably never notice that little shortcut. I know it took me awhile.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Leftist

I see the first point has been addressed. The second point: In some forums, I have noticed that if I start a thread it doesn't show up in 'my ATS' until I've also made a post following the opening post. Hope that helps.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by argentus
reply to post by Leftist

I see the first point has been addressed. The second point: In some forums, I have noticed that if I start a thread it doesn't show up in 'my ATS' until I've also made a post following the opening post. Hope that helps.

Quick Q - is there a way for the OP to add a comment to a page number while hovering over it and at the same time bold this specific page number as a marked page? Or something similar but effective?

For example - If I have additional evidence or important info on page 5, I would like to mark it and add a small comment like - "see 4th post from OP additional info".

This way i can point anyone to it instead of doing a search.

tc.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
also there should be a B button. 'mash the B button!' i cant mash it if i dont know where it is.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Thank you for your replies. I understand about the first point now.

Just for info, this is the interface at revleft (a communist/anarchist messageboard I use sometimes). Personally, I think something along these lines would be useful, but maybe only because I am used to it, lol:

(The bottom pic shows the popup that happens when you click on the little triangle at the right edge of the top pic)

Just my two cents.

Now, to make it seem like I'm not complaining too much about ATS, let me say something positive about this place: I have NEVER before seen such polite posters and well-organized threads anywhere else on the internet. The lack of obscenity and the enforcement of mutual politeness among members is a true joy. I don't know how you people achieve it with a board of this size, but hats off to you!

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by edmc^2

If I understand you correctly, you want to be able to capture the URL of a post, to link it to another post. You can do this by hitting "this post" in blue at the top of a post. That changes the URL at the top of the page to reflect that individual post, and in that way, you can copy the URL and link to it elsewhere.

For example, if I wanted to link to the above post by Rising Against, I hit 'this post' at the top RA's post, and then l can link to it here.
edit on 30/3/12 by argentus because: spellin'

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by argentus
reply to post by edmc^2

If I understand you correctly, you want to be able to capture the URL of a post, to link it to another post. You can do this by hitting "this post" in blue at the top of a post. That changes the URL at the top of the page to reflect that individual post, and in that way, you can copy the URL and link to it elsewhere.

For example, if I wanted to link to the above post by Rising Against, I hit 'this post' at the top RA's post, and then l can link to it here.
edit on 30/3/12 by argentus because: spellin'

Not what I'm looking for but I will give this one a try.

tc,

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 02:00 AM
link   
i would really Love to see a reddit or digg style interface with comment nesting. It is very difficult here to group related discussions together over 20 or 30 pages and i feel we miss a lot because of it. Someone who has an insight to add to one of the first comments but shows up a few hours late might as well not even bother.

Just my $.02

Much Love!
edit on 3/31/12 by soulshn because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join