It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For you folk over 40 years old

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:00 AM
link   
I'm only 31, but I wonder what has happened to this mentality:

Am I naive to believe other people once believed in the idea of this tale?

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:19 AM
link   
People over 40?

I'm 25 and I think everyone read this in elementary school

And there have always been generous, sincere, giving people. And there have also always been rude, greedy and insensitive people. This "mentality" never went away, some people have it and some don't.
edit on 30-3-2012 by Hawking because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:21 AM
link   
I'm afraid I don't quite understand the point of the story.

Is it to give until you have nothing left or to take from others in order to make yourself happy?

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:43 AM
link   
reply to post by N3k9Ni

The point is to show that there are both types in the world. Those that give, those that take. Which one are you going to be?

Some people just are not totally satisfied with things until they have literally taken your all.

And, in turn, some are willing to give their all to make someone happy.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Jomina

I see. I guess I fall into the third category. I don't give anything and I don't take anything I haven't earned.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Beautiful story. Thanks for sharing!

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I am a selfish person to some extent. In this world, you pretty much have to be because society demands that you give all to society, since society has no respect for people as individuals. Society is like a selfish child always demanding to give in to its needs. Which is why I can't stand society and balk and rebel against social rules. Society cares nothing for uniqueness and individuality, we all have to conform to its rules or suffer the consequences.

But I am also a fair person. If a person treats me with respect, I will return the favor. If somebody is nice to me, I'll be nice to them. If I don't like a person, I'll leave them alone rather than constantly spewing out crap about them. I feel that if you and another guy can't get along you should just leave each other alone because otherwise all you're doing is making yourself miserable. It's best just to go your own way.

And sometimes, I feel I am alone in this way of thinking.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by randomtangentsrme

I love this book!! It is the first book I bought for my son, he is now 17 and I bought it for him while I was still pregnant.

For me the book is about unconditional love. Loving someone no matter what. Beautiful, it always makes me cry.....

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by newsoul

And I plan on passing on my copy of this book to my children.
That still doesn't negate that most seem to forget the message of the book when we "grow up."

top topics

join