It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you an idiot for owning guns? Help me out here

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Alright, for the preparation of a downfall of society, martial law, NWO, solar flares knocking out the power, whatever, I've decided to purchase my first gun.

Of course, every conspiracy theory relating to an apocalyptic mindset (and martial law) says that you shouldn't buy guns and have them registered in your own name, because those who have registered guns are the first that the government is going to target when they start knocking people off.

However, if I own an illegal gun, I'd always be afraid to use it, no matter what... and let's say that someone breaks into my home and tries to hurt a loved one. That's not an apocalyptic situation of course, and if I use an illegal gun to scare or kill them, I'll get arrested too.

I'm sure I'm not the only prepper who has this issue.

What should I do? Registered gun or nameless gun? Which is the better option?

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 02:43 AM
link   
If you're in the U.S., check your state's specific laws and do some research. There are probably ways to get around the registering thing in most of them that are completely legal, particularly when you're talking about things like rifles or shotguns that used for hunting or range shooting. AKA stuff that you can't easily concealed-carry.

Other than that, never ever go with the illegal weapon thing. Ever. It's not worth the penalty.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by XxNightAngelusxX

Just purchase a firearm legally and lawfully. If you are concerned about what society will "do" to you for either or, then you "love" society and believe in it, which means you probably ought to obey all of its laws, since, if you love it, you will be in one way or another always supporting it, and therefore if you are breaking the law or trying to hide from it, then you are only working against yourself. At least try to remain consistent in your approach to life and your beliefs on political philosophy.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 02:51 AM
link   
In the next book, we cover "Are you an idiot if you own an ICBM". I think we all want to play some more football don't we kids? Never mind those naughty exploding stories, aye?"

.. he says as they all get cancer and die.

as I read it, not getting cancer... yet still dying...

of envy that all thse bastards get to ride around in cars and I am stuck here on my # carpet.

for ever until I die.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Look at it this way. If you purchase a gun in your own name and TSHTF I dont think you need to worry about the gun being in your name. The authorities will have far more to worry about than your gun. If they come to collect your gun then the chances are they will collect you and your family also.

That will be the time to bug out.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 02:55 AM
link   
reply to post by HillbillyHippie1

I really don't love or believe in anything, especially not the law. But at the same time, I'd like to do as little illegal things as possible while prepping. If I get locked up before the SHTF, there would've been no point. I get your point, though.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 02:57 AM
link   
reply to post by TheMindWar

You make an excellent point. Thanks

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Most states, including Minnesota, have laws prohibiting people who have been convicted of certain crimes from possessing firearms. In many cases where these laws are violated, the violation simply comes down to the person in question saying, “I didn’t know I couldn’t own that!” ..
I have many shotguns and rifles for hunting deer ..But just my option i would register all the guns you own..Incase of a apocalyptic event i wouldn't be with out my guns or ammo period..peace,sugarcookie

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Dont be afraid to buy your gun legally because millions of U.S. Americans already own guns far too many for the government to try and contain so honestly dont look at it like that. Look at this as a chance to purchase something that will keep your family safe in hards times. Id suggest a Remington 870 pump 12 gauge to protect the house along with a Sig Sauer P220 45Cal. Very reliable guns amigo

Best of luck

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Not sure where you live - down here in the South (ah say ah say DAOWN HEAH, BOAH), we don't have "registration".

If you purchase a new firearm, you'll get a nice Gubmint form to fill out. However, if you purchase your firearm from an individual used, there's none of that. So you can just carry a wad of cash to a gun show, and watch the individuals carrying around rifles and sidearms to sell. It helps, mind you, if you know how to buy a firearm, what to look for and so on so you don't get some pos for your money.

Heck, I have in fact purchased provenance-free weaponry from LEOs at gun shows, one of the guys at a local 'big show' sells from the evidence room to you, no middleman, guaranteed to trace back to someone with a record. Sort of Throwdowns-R-Us. While it wasn't the very best in firearms, it was an 'ok' piece that was in good shape, bought for its lack of direct traceability at the time, rather than its value as a quality firearm.

At any rate, I can see your problem. You might try scattering them here and there to avoid having all your stash in one place. But best of all is just to never buy any firearms new or from a dealer.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by sugarcookie1
Most states, including Minnesota, have laws prohibiting people who have been convicted of certain crimes from possessing firearms. In many cases where these laws are violated, the violation simply comes down to the person in question saying, “I didn’t know I couldn’t own that!” ..
I have many shotguns and rifles for hunting deer ..But just my option i would register all the guns you own..Incase of a apocalyptic event i wouldn't be with out my guns or ammo period..peace,sugarcookie

And some states have laws that conflict with those

Texas Penal Code - Section 46.04. Unlawful Possession Of Firearm

§ 46.04. UNLAWFUL POSSESSION OF FIREARM. (a) A person
who has been convicted of a felony commits an offense if he
possesses a firearm:
(1) after conviction and before the fifth anniversary
of the person's release from confinement following conviction of
the felony or the person's release from supervision under community
supervision, parole, or mandatory supervision, whichever date is
later; or
(2) after the period described by Subdivision (1), at
any location other than the premises at which the person lives.
(b) A person who has been convicted of an offense under
Section 22.01, punishable as a Class A misdemeanor and involving a
member of the person's family or household, commits an offense if
the person possesses a firearm before the fifth anniversary of the
later of:
(1) the date of the person's release from confinement
following conviction of the misdemeanor; or
(2) the date of the person's release from community
supervision following conviction of the misdemeanor.
(c) A person, other than a peace officer, as defined by
Section 1.07, actively engaged in employment as a sworn, full-time
paid employee of a state agency or political subdivision, who is
subject to an order issued under Section 6.504 or Chapter 85, Family
Code, under Article 17.292 or Chapter 7A, Code of Criminal
Procedure, or by another jurisdiction as provided by Chapter 88,
Family Code, commits an offense if the person possesses a firearm
after receiving notice of the order and before expiration of the
order.
(d) In this section, "family," "household," and "member of a
household" have the meanings assigned by Chapter 71, Family Code.
(e) An offense under Subsection (a) is a felony of the third
degree. An offense under Subsection (b) or (c) is a Class A
misdemeanor.

law.onecle.com...

Sorry for quoting the whole code, but this is an example of the things you should research

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1

Its actually a federal crime if you possess a firearm and you are a felon. Its even illegal for the felon to go to a gun store I believe unless thats just California...

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Do what you think is intelligent, but yeah... Just keep in mind why you are doing the things you do and why you believe the things you believe. That is my only point.

If you are buying a firearm because you feel you may need it in the future and may be arrested by the same entity who you feel you may be the cause of your need for it (or even is now), then maybe it is best to be more concerned with why you think you need it rather than what the very entity that you fear says about you having it now or in the future? And maybe also reason that fear against doing what that entity says now and caring what it says later?

It really isn't about guns when you get down to it... It is about your mind and the freedom of it. Who says you have a right to protect yourself and how you may do so? What is too much protection and who decides that? And since that is decided outside of the self, what is the minimum one is entitled to and who or what provides that definition? Of course, first you have to decide you have the right to think for yourself...

Do you believe in killing for food?
Do you believe in killing for self defense?
What do you consider self defense? Is it individual, tribal, or something an entire country can do (like war)?
Who do you believe actually decides your belief is correct? From where do "morals" come?
Do you believe these are rights, and if so where do you believe they come from?
What are the limits on all of these answers and who decides them?

I'm just saying that all of these questions are actually a part of your question that need to be answered by you before you can make any decision.

The easy answer is to take the path of least resistance until it is no longer feasible, which means obeying the law every step of the way, which I would recommend, but I would not recommend it for any other reason other than it is what I feel is most intelligent and best for the individual, and certainly not because I think someone (other than my Creator) has the right to tell me how I am entitled to protect and provide for myself and my family.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   
I own several fierarms that are not registered in my name and are totally legal. Even here in gun-phobic New Jersey.

I inherited them.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 06:27 AM
link   
the better question is when they invade your houe one night and theu have guns what are you going to use-your vacuum cleaner or butter knife to protect yourself

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   
this might help you out. so far it's showed every state i asked about.
remember it's just a summery of the laws.

Crime / Punishment

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   
get a bow and arrow or crossbow

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 07:27 AM
link   
It does not make you an idiot but, plenty of idiots do own them. Buy them legaly. The US is a gun culture and nobody is going to try and take them. Just please take some classes and practice gun safety. The fact most deaths that result from guns are from accidents with gun owners shooting themselves, a loved on or vice versa and the fact most gun crimes are comitted with guns stoled from legit owners because the do not secure thm makes the rest of us resposible gun owners look like idiots.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Ask yourself this - Would you rather be a target with the ability to defend yourself or a slave? 

If you've been making other preparations (food storage, camping gear, posting on survival forums, etc) you're likely already on 'the list' that you fear so why not go all the way?

I have a few friends who want to prep but they're so scared of being on a 'list' that they've put off making necessary purchases. I say go for it (legally). As others have pointed out, there are far too many people on 'the list' to be rounded up or targeted. 

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   
I think that most of the people who've posted already have offered great advice. I think it is most important to follow the law. As you mentioned, you would be afraid to use it in self defense if you ever had to (if it was illegally owned). I also tend to be paranoid, so I can understand your concerns. I agree with what someone else said, as far as "spreading out your stash". In my home, there are no 2 guns in the same place (although ALL are secured in such a way as to be safe for the children). Also, if you are reallllly paranoid, consider checking for those nooks and crannies that may not be immediately obvious in a casual "looking around for weapons" kind of scenario, and then stash one or two in those locations (those can be your SHTF weapons. Also, get a concealed carry permit, so that: 1. You can carry it more frequently (what's the use of having it, if you don't actually have it)
2. If there's some sort of EMP event, a concealed carry card would might suffice at some gun stores in case you needed to buy MORE guns, lol. This way they wouldn't have to use the computer system to make sure you were allowed to purchase.

Just my two cents on the subject!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join