It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Islamophobic bias of ATS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Some of you might consider it surprising that I'm writing a thread complaining about this, given the nature of some of my own writing on this subject.

In my defense, however, I have been legitimately attempting to learn the truth about Islam. I've had some fairly severe internal conflict at times, and the threads I've written here, both positive and negative, have been reflective of that. Contrary to what some of you might think, I have not just been trolling; but have been genuinely analysing both sides in my own head, such that it has spilled out here.

Given that, I've noticed something on this forum, which I am not happy about.

If someone starts a thread here which consists purely or primarily of negative emotion towards Islam, or is otherwise devoted to generating bad press about the religion, it can go on for up to 50 pages and receive scores of stars and flags; including almost every post in said thread being starred. If someone on the other hand, tries to post information which is clarifying, or tries to promote the idea of constructive dialogue between the Islamic and non-Islamic populations, those threads will get buried. They receive virtually no response at all.

As other people have said, and as the site's own slogan says, we are here to deny ignorance. Where Islam is concerned, that is what I am trying to do, if only in my own case. From what I'm seeing, though, other people don't want to deny their ignorance with this subject, at all. In fact, they prefer to embrace it. They seem to prefer to remain bigoted, and in states of entirely unreasoning hatred and fear concerning the entire issue.

Lest you think that I am on the verge of conversion here, and have become just another apologetic shill, think again. I've said on numerous occasions that I am well aware that there are both individuals and elements of theology associated with Islam, that I consider to be a legitimate source of grave concern.

I also, however, remain committed to maintaining justice in my perception of this religion, which means the equal consideration of both its' darkness, and its' light. There is quite literally a court case going on in my mind, at the moment; and has been for some time. I am finding the arguments for both the prosecution and the defense to be almost equally compelling, and I think it will be some time before a definitive verdict can be handed down.

I ask this site's readership to remember both the above image, and its' meaning, when discussions relating to Islam occur, here. I am not asking for the indiscriminatory presumption of innocence on the part of the accused, because I am aware that in the minds of many, including myself, that has not yet been incontrovertibly established. All I am asking, however, is that an equally indiscriminatory presumption of guilt is not made either.
edit on 30-3-2012 by petrus4 because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-3-2012 by petrus4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Not just Islam though, it's Christianity too.
Any thread started with Christian over-tones and out come the trolls. Any thread started pro-Christianity, out come the Atheists...

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lulzaroonie
Not just Islam though, it's Christianity too.
Any thread started with Christian over-tones and out come the trolls. Any thread started pro-Christianity, out come the Atheists...

I will admit that I find it difficult to resist the urge to troll where Christian threads are concerned, and I'm not an atheist.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by petrus4

I don't think there is that much bias myself.

As a amateur theologian I can say that there will always be those who twist religion to fit their views.

It is what it is. There is not much that we can do about it as there will always be mindless followers.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 04:56 AM
link   
I don't think its just Islam bias either; I personally am not a fan of any religion in it's current state. I have studied many religious texts of all faiths and have seen so much beauty in all of their philosophies; but the way people twist and fit a religion to their agenda to control and brainwash their followers to that agenda; is what I find disgusting and ugly...and I will not be a part of any of it.

They are meant to teach people to live rationally and rise above beastly animal like qualities; and be civil to each other. Instead, they now mostly do the opposite...they divide family, neighbors, and countries; and they fight everyone with such blazing ignorance and fury, that causes so much pain, death, hate, and destruction in the name of their religion...that religion is quickly becoming; unwelcome in civilized society.

I personally think we are animals; that strive to be more, but are apt to fail from time to time because; we are just that animals.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I agree with the OP hands down. I rarely do comment on these forums given that I'm new, but when I do (Mind you, I'm proving someone wrong and debunking the post they made with my own), I get replied back with the most brain-deprived, bigoted replies that I've ever come across. It's rather irritating at times. Christianity receives it as well, but from what I've seen, it's Islam that takes the majority of the bashing. I tend to just avoid those ignorant threads, though.
edit on 30-3-2012 by XxForgottenLegendxX because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I am not a new member, but I have been quite shocked at the tone of some posts in recent ( mainly anti-Islam ) threads.

I do not post much either, but have felt compelled to comment in some of these threads - mostly out of disgust.

Extremism of any kind is a truly frightening thing and I've seen a fair bit of it on this site lately - much to my disappointment - ATS always used to provide a bit of escapism ( and a fair bit of learning ) for me; can't help but feel that's a little bit tainted now.

I've even begun to speculate that there may be a little Brown Shirtery going on - who knows?

Oh well, it's back to Post a Funny Pic........ least I know where I am with that!

I wish you luck in your journey.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I love Muslims, it is their Islam I dislike.

I officially denounced Islam and left the religion a couple of years ago. I am now an outspoken critic of Islam. I do not fear my fellow brethren and I see the ugliness of that religion for what it truly is: Beautiful words of wisdom sprinkled with slavery, sexism, spousal abuse, religious superiority, war, and inequality.

I gave Islam more than one-third of my life. I'll be damned if I am forced to listen to and respect a religion that does not listen or respect others.

Peace.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sahabi
I love Muslims, it is their Islam I dislike.

I officially denounced Islam and left the religion a couple of years ago. I am now an outspoken critic of Islam. I do not fear my fellow brethren and I see the ugliness of that religion for what it truly is: Beautiful words of wisdom sprinkled with slavery, sexism, spousal abuse, religious superiority, war, and inequality.

I gave Islam more than one-third of my life. I'll be damned if I am forced to listen to and respect a religion that does not listen or respect others.

Peace.

What's funny is that I have taken to quite the opposite route of you. Joining Islam because of the sense of peace and compassion one feels. I am an outspoken critic of the faith of Christianity, and for many reasons at that. The whole list you provided which you're accusing Islam of is false, to say the least. I've read the entirety of the Quran and have taken into the account the date of which it was made, which would naturally have different guidelines than now. I've taken the context of the chapter into account, reading the prior verses leading up to the ones people systematically resort to when attempting to debunk the religion. Every single claim I've come across was false. But again, it all depends on the individual. I personally, not to sound biased, have witnessed more people joining the religion of Islam than any other religion I've come across. Like I said, it all boils down to one's interpretation.

top topics

join