It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sand Flea the jumping robot

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Stuck in a crater?? No problem! Sand Flea the jumping robot.

edit on 29-3-2012 by sean because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Damn, Boston Dynamics again, I'd love to have a weekend to myself there, they've got the best damn things. Big Dog, leopard thing, this...

They HAVE to be working on something in there that combines the stability of big dog, the speed of the leopard thing, and now the agility of this. If not, that means they probably have something even groovier in there.

Man what I'd do to work there...

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by mainidh

Hell, I would work there for free if I got to play with that stuff! They do have amazing robots.

I am really impressed with just how high that thing can jump and how it is able to withstand hitting the ground afterward. It doesn't look like all that complex of a design. Very cool.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth

Originally posted by mainidh

Hell, I would work there for free if I got to play with that stuff! They do have amazing robots.

I am really impressed with just how high that thing can jump and how it is able to withstand hitting the ground afterward. It doesn't look like all that complex of a design. Very cool.

First thing I thought of when I saw it leap off the roof - not so much an important task, imo it was purely for show that one
- and remain working. But when they made it leap up onto the hill/edge face, that's when it proved to me it's potential.

Every time I see the name Boston Dynamics (usually followed or preceded by Darpa) I know if I have not seen it, it's something neat they've come up with!!

\

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I saw this last week (elsewhere) and like was said above.. I'd work there for free, just to play with some of the projects Boston Dynamics is working on.

Very cool stuff.. now imagine what they've not released for the public to know yet.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by mainidh

Yeah it hit the ground quite hard didn't it? They come a long ways. RC cars and things has always gotten my attention. I had a few nice RC cars and trucks over the years. Back then they couldn't take much of a beating plastic parts with a few metal push rods with plastic servo's. After couple times smashing into a curb or something and it's done for and your back in your garage reconstructing it with super glue and epoxy.
Now they can coat things with rubber or even paint stuff with a special paint that can absorb the energy.

It reminds me of this one video I can't seem to find it now, but basically it was a woman showing how tough those lens protectors are on a ipad or droid phones. She would scratch it and run a dremel across it and then at the end dropped it off her roof of the house and the one without the protector completely shattered and the other was completely unscathed. The scratches done to it just heal up. Technology just gets better and better.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by sean

Man, think about those cnc printers, print out 3D solid items, you need a crank or body part, print it out.

Who cares if your machine has been out of the loop for 50 years, you got something you can model it on, viola! New part.

these little things that come together make the greatest leaps in technology we'll notice.. It won't be one big thing, and we won't even notice it... we'll look back and go "Oh wow!"... like we do now, we're almost over the edge of it all, just tapering on..

I just don't expect to ever see the fruition of everything I'd so love to see in my life time.

top topics

join