It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Solution to the Death Penalty

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   

ban·ish [ban-ish] 1. to expel from or relegate to a country or place by authoritative decree; condemn to exile: He was banished to Devil's Island. 2. to compel to depart; send, drive, or put away: to banish sorrow.

Does anybody know the reason why we stopped the practice of banishing individuals that were unwanted from society?

Reading about all the controversy over the death penalty and how we should handle criminals that we do not want to take care of or cannot decide on whether we have the right to end their life, why not just remove them from the picture and place them in a remote location to fend for themselves?

Like say out in the middle of no where in the Arctic, or on a remote island in the middle of the sea that they can't escape. If it was a big enough island the only cost incurred would be the one way trip to drop them off, and then the money that has to be spent would be to put a monitoring system in place so we know none of them can escape. And I'm sure having one large location to take care of would save on all the prisons we have across the country.

Just exile all the serious offenders such as murderers, rapists, kidnappers, anything that we would view as a gross abuse done to another person. Leave them to fight it out on their own, why do we have to babysit them for the rest of their life. I know I don't want to be paying for them to eat and sit in a concrete cell.

Just my thoughts, I think it would solve many of the problems we ponder over in those situations. Also, maybe it would help people build an appreciation for the society we have today as most people take the world we live in today completely for granted.

We could just call it the island or something to that effect.

edit on 29-3-2012 by Brandon88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Brandon88

I have seen in small towns people being literally run out of town with the caveat of not coming back or facing criminal charges.
I think the problem now of days has to do with if you "banish" them they have no where to go.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Man, can you imagine if there was such an island we could put all the criminals - I wonder what they would say after 100 years to the new people that show up? G'day mate?

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   
If people would learn to live and let live and love thy neighbor as they love themselves there would be no death penalty. Thats the true and only solution to the death penalty.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by randomtangentsrme

That's my thought, also. They tried with Australia, but the criminals' sons and daughters turned out just fine!

Maybe it's time to expend the idea, and start having mining activities on some other planetary bodies. They would be somewhat useful.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Because one Australia is enough

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by randomtangentsrme

I'm not saying let them roam freely after being banished, more alone the lines of a specific location chosen by the country, which there's no way to get out of. Kind of like a prison but without the walls. The only resources they can have are the ones they can scrounge from the nature around them, and the clothes we give them at the beginning.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   

if your leaving them someplace to die slowly then that would be considered cruel and unusual punishment. it would be nicer (imo) to just kill them than let them starve to death over 6 months.

if your leaving them in a tropical paradise then that might be different, but most people still can't survive in that type of place and the cost of buying one is rediculous.

the dangers of them escaping are kinda high too and more realistic than you would think.

i still like this idea though.. just think you need to think outside the box even more, the space idea wasn't bad. make them mine rocks on the moon!!

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Why don't we just have a Coliseum and let them fight to survive while we watch on Pay Per View? We could have the hardcore criminals from various countries fight each other for national prestige. While we are at it, we could just eliminate war and when two countries have a problem, you throw 2 (or 10) of the worst convicts into a ring with weapons and let them duke it out.( This is ALL Sarcasm btw)

The reason penal colonies like Devils Island were closed was due to public outrage at the conditions the prisoners lived in. It seems that the public will tolerate a quick death but not an agonizing long drawn out death.

I will also add a fabulous bit by George Carlin (R.I.P.) www.madmusic.com...

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   
How about we release them on an island and the extravagantly rich can pay 1 million euros to hunt them.

Sounds like something Donald Trump's kids would be in to haha

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Where would you suggest we put them? I am sure nowhere with an established population will take them.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Nephlim

It wouldnt technically be leaving them to die as they should at least have some basic surivial skills and be able to take care of themselves, if they can't then that would make them think twice before risking getting kicked from the country.

And the space idea would be a great option, mars is pretty close.

If it ever came to this too, I think they would rightfully deserve anything that happened to them while they were out there say if we banished a murderer. At least they have a sporting chance to live unlike the person whos life they chose to take. I wouldn't call it cruel whatever they did to get themselfs there depending on the situation would probably be much more cruel.
edit on 29-3-2012 by Brandon88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by redbarron626

No prison colonies that was already a failure, more like releasing the animals back into the wild. If they can't remain civilized then they should have no place in a civil society.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 05:06 AM
link   
reply to post by NowanKenubi

no real criminals were sent to australia , unless you call a person who steals a loaf of bread to feed his starving children a criminal or a person who poaches a rabbit from some aristocrats estate .

top topics

join