It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

That must be it, I am a weirdo.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Thescripter

You are not weird.
Its your decision to not carry a phone, nevermind what other people say about that.

There is no rule stating you must answer every call.
You also do not need to explain why.

I don't answer the phone if I'm busy or can't , simple as that.

I tell callers there is no point leaving a voicemail, I wont listen to it and can see they called on missed call log that exists nowadays so why do I need a nagging message they called? I will call back when I'm free to do so. I turrned my landline phone answering machine off. All it did was fill up with nagging, from people I never wanted to even talk to in the first place, like nagaholics.

My home phone has a voice thing now that speaks who the caller is, so any important call I will recognize from the other end of the house. I will call them back. I cant use any phone due to disability now, so I had to tell everybody not to expect me to answer, that I need to initiate the call after I get set up.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
The imei died in mine and I canceled the plan, Its still useful for apps and if I have net surfing news, but I am so glad its gone. The bill alone helped relieve some stress (it's not that I couldn't afford it, but now that is going towards other debt and helping out more).

I hated it when people would call while at work , knowing my schedule, then get mad at me in a text.

I hear you, have some peace.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Thescripter

Hell, I don't think it's okay! LOL

My nephew came for a visit, and surprised the crap out of me. He received a call, answered it, and said: "I'm busy. I'll call you back when I get a chance." Needless to say, I was quite impressed. The kid has definitely got his priorities straight!

As far as texting on a damn phone goes: It's an enormous step backwards in my opinion.

See ya,
Milt

edit on 30-3-2012 by BenReclused because: Typo

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Ha ha, well in my intro, I stated how people who text just look dumb. Thankgoodness someone posted that yes indeed, they look like children "with their lollies.."

Stay 'weird' then, cuz some of us like it.
I had to speak up after a meeting where our new "communications" gal couldn't sit for longer than a minute without fidgeting-- sending texts, checking texts. Silently chastised for months afterward, I lost some faith in -- well a lot of stuff, I guess, but "integrity" is a word seldom used to describe people, anymore.

I can't tell you how stupid it looks to see someone texting. First it looks like they can't be disconnected for a minute - sad. Then, "entering" or "typing" (HA) text - figure it out-- on to a tiny "keyboard" borders on insanity - no one looks intelligent doing so. No one.

Bumped into some yippie 3X at a grocery store the other week - cause he was texting and pushing his cart - I finally had to say after the 3rd time, in frustration - "DON'T text and drive!!" dumasp.

A friend told me if his girl hasn't received a text by 8 a.m., he knows it isn't going to be a great day for her in school.

SAD, AND STUPID.
Good thread!
edit on 30-3-2012 by ItsEvolutionBaby because: proper tense

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
You can do both, you know. You can have a smart phone and enjoy all the benefits of it, without feeling you have to answer every call, or reply to every text and email within minutes.

Enjoy the freedom, you do have a choice and shouldn't feel guilty for exercising it.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by ItsEvolutionBaby
Ha ha, well in my intro, I stated how people who text just look dumb. Thankgoodness someone posted that yes indeed, they look like children "with their lollies.."

I find it amusing that someone with your forum name says that!

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375
OP: "People think I'm weird because I don't have a cell phone"

(Let the thread go on for a bit)

"Society is weird for using cell phones"

Anyone else see the irony?

Seriously, the cell phone is a remarkable device. You can contact anyone in the world virtually instantly, unless you use Sprint hehe. No one here has a real reason why they don't like cell phones. I've only seen anti-social reasons. If you're a loner, fine, I get it. But don't criticize society because of your personality. Most people are very social.

I understand the not-texting while in a real life conversation. I've seen an entire table of people slowly drift into using their cellphones. It was ridiculous.
But really, your conversation is probably just as dumb and unimportant as the text they're sending...so I wouldn't be so upset over it. Plus it's pretty easy to listen and send a text at the same time.

The cell phones are amazing devices over-using them, makes society weird.Since i was a kid and i was watching star trek i was dreaming of a device like the communicator.When the first cell phones got to market i was so excited.But people think that owning a cell phones makes you available to them 24/7.
I mean what's the point in texting or calling someone at 3 o'clock at night just to tell them how amazing the latest episode you watched was or ask what are you doing now?
Would you call someone on a land line in the middle of the night for something so stupid?
That's what bothers me with cell phones.I work all day and when i go home i want to be alone and relax.Or when i am with my boyfriend i wanna be alone with him,not me him and my friends and his friends.
I have explained that to people and in a case of emergency they can call me on the land line,but noone seems to understand that.

Bottom line:Cell phones are fine.People who don't know how to use them are weird.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by User8911

Heh heh, good one! Yeah the forum name would seem to contradict myself.. if you check the video in my signature, it spells it out more clearly.

The concept of the cell phone and what it is capable is truly grand. As usual, as with humans and the perpetual forces that drive them, it is their mis-use that is laughable.
At least the communication corps are laughing their azzes off all the way to the bank.

edit on 31-3-2012 by ItsEvolutionBaby because: forgot to add

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join