learn more

That must be it, I am a weirdo.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
+10 more 
posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
It's really interesting the hostility I get from people on a daily basis. One thing is that I do not and will not carry a cell phone - I have my reasons, one being that when I am not at home or work I am usually doing something and don't like to be shackled and on call to anyone. When I get home I will have 5-10 messages, usually from the same 1-2 people, each one becoming more and more aggressive and agitated at me. Have we become a on call society in which we must be at everyone's beck and call 24/7? I don't know, but it's not for me. People have even bought me a cell phone, not realizing I am serious when I say "I don't want one, really." I have been called a selfish sociopath for this. Maybe they are right, who knows, maybe I am just a weirdo.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
No you are not the only one, I have a cell phone that is only a phone, no texting, no pictures, (it can take pics but I don't really use it) its an old phone about 5 years old. My family (sisters and brother) has basically left me in the dust with this texting thing, they dont call me, they plan things and since I don't text I usually get a last minute phone call about it and then told, "well I would of texted you" I hate that. Im in my 30's and they say wth, "I can't believe you don't text or have an iphone or a fancy phone from the last couple years lmao, OMG you should be texting", I get crap for not texting.
edit on 29-3-2012 by hapablab because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I prefer the term Total Freakaziod as opposed to wierdo.
I have a phone that my husband talked me into when I was pregnant 14 years ago. Strictly for emergencies. I absolutely hate it.
I never give out the number and I only turn it on when I am away from home and need to make a call. I have 30 minutes a month available and use maybe 5 of them.
My friends and relatives think I'm nuts.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Thescripter

Well... then I'm just as weird as you are. As far as I'm concerned, cell phones tend to be more of an intrusion than an asset. I had one when I was self employed, but I always made a habit of turning it off during off hours.

See ya,
Milt

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thescripter
It's really interesting the hostility I get from people on a daily basis. One thing is that I do not and will not carry a cell phone - I have my reasons, one being that when I am not at home or work I am usually doing something and don't like to be shackled and on call to anyone. When I get home I will have 5-10 messages, usually from the same 1-2 people, each one becoming more and more aggressive and agitated at me. Have we become a on call society in which we must be at everyone's beck and call 24/7? I don't know, but it's not for me. People have even bought me a cell phone, not realizing I am serious when I say "I don't want one, really." I have been called a selfish sociopath for this. Maybe they are right, who knows, maybe I am just a weirdo.

I gave up my cell a Month ago after I got tired of paying to be a slave to it.

Count me in the Weirdo column I guess.

The funny thing is...I survived without it and continue to do so! Imagine such a thing.

Peace

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I hate having a cell phone. But I need it with my kids, one of which is special needs. I dont like talking on it, rarely answer it unless its the school or a doctor and have to remind myself to charge it most of the time. Its a leash, ball and chain, annoyance.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I feel the exact same way. I'm not antisocial or against technology. My profession involves programming the very services people use. I too will often times put my cell on silent or leave it behind when I'm out doing something and the result is often the same. People get upset that I didn't respond as if I'm being rude and selfish. ex.) You didn't respond to my, "Did you see the Hunger Games?" text within a 2 hour period so you are being rude and selfish by ignoring me. It's ridiculous, thank you for the post. S & F
edit on 29-3-2012 by Epirus because: (no reason given)
edit on 29-3-2012 by Epirus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I have a prepaid cellphone I leave in the van--turned off--for emergency road use.

My wife has a prepaid cellphone that she carries with her. Neither of our cellphones have cameras or texting. She keeps hers turned off about 80% of the time.

Recently one of our two handsets for the house phone went missing; by the time we discovered it was gone the battery was dead, so it did no good to push the button on the base that makes it beep so you can find it. So we forgot about it and were down to one handset. In the meantime we had a lot of rain, which for some reason causes the DSL/phone filter to go bad (it's happened repeatedly). The effect of this is that the phone gradually quits ringing when people call--gradually enough that we don't really notice. After about a week the caller hears a partial ring, and then static; it doesn't even go to voicemail. So we don't get any calls at all. Around the third week the dial-tone goes dead, so we're also unable to call out. That's when we notice we don't have a phone.

I guess we're weird too. But happy-weird....

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Anyone else wonder when it became ok to be having lunch or real life conversation with friends/family and one of them starts texting amid a conversation? I'm not that old (28) and not technologically challenged by any means - but it really seems that somewhere along the way we lost something.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   
There is nothing weird about not wanting to be on call 24/7. I find cell phones to be incredibly irritating. I used mine a lot more a few years ago when my kid was still in high school so she could text me while I was at work and not tie up my phone line.

When we moved out to the boondocks last year, our cell phones wouldn't work properly out here, so we got a land line, and use an old rotary dial phone that my 86 year old mother-in-law had up in her attic. It works great.

We still pay for one cell phone, but never use it. We take it when we drive somewhere, because out here, if you break down, you're on your own unless you can call for help. It is strictly for emergencies, and nobody calls me on it anymore because when I drive someplace I keep it in my purse and then crank up the stereo and rock out so I don't hear it.

My cell phone is 4 years old, I have no interest in getting a new one.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Amen to Weirdos everywhere, then!

We shall not fall to the pressure of using external RFID thingies!

I don't have a cell and yes, it bothers me that everyone is so into cutting a conversation with you to start another one with someone else on the cell by talking or texting...

I had someone not long ago who would call me and have conversations with people next to them while chatting on the net... I was a very involuntary witness of others conversations, and that was Annoying. Yeah, with a capital A.

Heck, I remember a while ago when you could transfer your calls to someone else's house, before cells became popular. I found it irritating as some would get 5 to 6 calls while visiting, in a period of two hours.

There's a reason why it is called a cell...
( I know it's short for cellular, still... )

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Dear Thescripter,

Have we become a on call society in which we must be at everyone's beck and call 24/7? I don't know, but it's not for me.

You sir are not a weirdo, you are antisocial and evil and it is your duty to be at everyone's beck and call. LOL. Yeah, watch the young ones, they get a text and respond immediately, no pausing or they would be considered rude. We have become a nation of voyeurs and exhibitionists. No thought is personal and all must be revealed. Our cell phones have become our best friend, providing entertainment, communication and information in one convenient and fun little box. Flag and Star.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   

You arent weird i feel the same way. I have a cellphone and its a smart phone and has unlimited texting and the works but i dont ever really text. i think i have sent maybe 1 text message today. And lol my friends call me constantly and gosh i just feel like not picking up, and when i dont answer of course i have to give an explanation for why i didnt pick up. But i shouldnt HAVE to explain why i didnt want to talk on the phone at that moment lol.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   

I'm with you on this. I haven't had a cell phone for nearly 3 years now. I became very weary of people calling me constantly, bothering me at all hours for meaningless reasons. To be honest, the thing I hate the most is voice mail. People would call 4 or 5 times a day, leave 2-3 minute long messages and, as you said, progressively get more annoying with each message (not bill collectors, by the way). I really don't want to listen to 15+ minutes of jerks chewing me out for not answering my phone. Most likely, I didn't answer to begin with because I didn't want to talk to them, or hear what they had to say in the first place. Eventually, my voice mail greeting specifically said "Do NOT leave a message unless it is an extreme emergency." Yet, even that wasn't enough to break peoples temptation to speak into a tiny box to no one. It got the the point where I would just let it fill up and never check it.

And then one day, I just had enough and turned my cellphone off for good, and I have never regretted it. It got a lot of not-so-friendly friends to stop trying to hang out with me, which is always a plus, in my opinion. I do receive heck for not having one, but that is just the herd mentality coming out in people. You must be 100% like everyone else at all time, or else you are a weirdo. *GASP* Whatever. Cellphone plans are a HUGE rip off anyway.

Sorry for the rant. I really didn't mean to go off on a tangent like that but sometimes my fingers just go. I know it must seem like I'm anti-social, but as a great man once said " I cannot abide useless people."
edit on 29-3-2012 by ProjectBlue because: fixed a typo

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thescripter
Anyone else wonder when it became ok to be having lunch or real life conversation with friends/family and one of them starts texting amid a conversation? I'm not that old (28) and not technologically challenged by any means - but it really seems that somewhere along the way we lost something.

Yeah, THAT annoys me to no end.

Sitting, having a nice conversation with someone, suddenly the text message comes in and they, with me in mid sentence, begin texting back.

Ugh. I stop the convo right there and get up to leave.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:54 AM
link   
I pay nearly $100 a month for my cell phone plan, and no one ever calls me. It's crazy! I don't have a landline, just my cell, and I text about 10 times a day, and surf the internet for news and abovetopsecret.com. BUT, I'm with you! Star and flag!

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Gave up mine about two years ago. My annoyance at being on call 24/7 and constantly getting dragged into some stupid text convo for hours that could be covered in one simple phone call has now been replaced by hair tearing aggravation watching others text or wander off to facebook on their phones mid conversation. You wouldn't mind if it was something important, what happened to a polite "Excuse me for a moment"?.

I don't even know why most people go out anymore. You see whole groups of people all ages nursing a pint, heads down and completely ignoring the people standing in front of them whilst posting to each others walls and updating their status. "In the pub with the lads" NO, NO YOU ARE NOT! Your zombiefied shells are in the pub.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 05:10 AM
link   
I'm 19 and I've never had a cellphone in my life, and no one ever calls me. So I don't need to listen to cellphone myths being dangerous or people bothering me 24/7.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 05:20 AM
link   
How about business associates (non-internal) texting while at work to get your attention because you didn't respond quick enough to an email of theirs? I think texting is more personal and not for business relationships.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Ive never owned a cell phone and dont plan on ever getting one either..Im home most of the time ive got a land line with caller ID so i can pick and choose who i want to talk to most of the time i dont even answer it..If i didnt have a medical issue i wouldnt even own the land line ..I see people that cant make it down the street without there cell phone its a big texting world we live in its sad..peace,sugarcookie1

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join