It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Privileged Planet

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
A new Scientific video has been released based on the book from 2004 called Privileged Planet. This video talks to the many Astro Biologists and other Scientists from NASA that talk about how many planets could sustain life in the Universe and odds and the known scientific things needed for intelligent life and complex life. Mods if I am in the wrong area please move this to proper threads. It would fit under Aliens cause it argues against the possibility, Creation because of the rarity of Earth and perfectness in the Universe, Space Exploration because it came from that field of work. So please move to where it is best for the rules...

This is awesome evidence that we are alone in the universe.

Google Video Link

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   

edit on 29-3-2012 by ImaFungi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
The video itself is not new it was made in 2004:
Made by IIustra Media:

The Privileged Planet (2004) (V) Production Company
Darwin's Dilemma (2009) (V) production Company
The Case for a Creator (2006) (TV)
Unlocking the Mystery of Life (2003) (V)

Statement from their website :
Illustra Media produces video documentaries that examine the scientific case for intelligent design.

In other words they start with a conclusion and work backwards. Nothing scientific about it. Their videos apply the rule of :

Scientist : " We don't know."
Narrator : " See! God did it!"
illustramedia.com...

edit on 29-3-2012 by Noncompatible because: link added

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
evidence we are ALONE in the universe?

AHAHAHAHA

LOL.

it's like, totally not possible, dudeeeee....

and fish are alone in the entire OCEAN. right??

you're going to tell me that 3 galaxies over there isn't life on ONE planet?? give me a break.

THATS not possible.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
The "rarity" of Earth-like planets is but a result of sampling bias, because smaller exoplanets are much more difficult to detect than Jupiter-sized ones. If our solar system is of any indication, then Earth-like planets are everywhere. Hell, we have two in just this one solar system, i.e. Earth and Mars.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Noncompatible

SO your saying Evolutionists don't start with an idea and prove their point (not really ever it's all bunk science)? I don't know what else to say you didn't dispute one thing they said about the Universe, Sun, Galaxies, Eclipses, Viewing platforms, Chemistry, Physics, science, astrobiology. You just don't like they are possibly Creationists or ID believers. If you refuse to look at others work you are assured to never learn anything I think, I am willing to look at anyone's evidence to support their views and would never throw out good info because I didn't like the messenger!

This is NASA Scientists and experts in their field and you want to throw out all they say because they may believe in intelligent design?

The video was only posted on YouTube/Google 5 weeks ago or months whatever so it is fairly new for all to see!\ for free.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by rhinoceros

Mars is not an Earth like planet. If you don't watch the video please do not respond! That comment makes no sense in any context and surely not in the context of that video's message.

Funny how many people are so afraid to even look at another view point before denouncing it...

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by theindependentjournal

Mars is not an Earth like planet. If you don't watch the video please do not respond! That comment makes no sense in any context and surely not in the context of that video's message.

Funny how many people are so afraid to even look at another view point before denouncing it...

I think he was referring to the fact that it has similar size, composition and distance from the sun. I'm pretty sure that Venus and Mars are both in the 'habitable' zone in our solar system, although it's been a while since I've read about that.
edit on 30-3-2012 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   

SO your saying Evolutionists don't start with an idea and prove their point (not really ever it's all bunk science)?
Bunk science? I'd love to see proof of the bunk science behind evolution.
Why do creationists try to force evolution into every single argument? The science behind it is more than solid.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

If you don't watch the video please do not respond!

I guess you don't want this to be an open discussion do you? There really aren't too many people I know who would watch an hour long video just to be able to participate in a thread. A general synopsis would have been nice in the OP.

There are approx. 500 Billion Galaxies in the known universe. We exist in one... which has about 100 Billion stars, most of which have multiple planets in their respective systems. Even if the possibility of life arising was 1 trillion to one, there would still be life out there somewhere. If there is a omnipotent being behind the absurdity of creation, what would be the point of creating a universe so vast that humanity cannot even properly comprehend, let alone explore, if life wasn't meant to or doesn't exist elsewhere. If life isn't meant to exist elsewhere, even a universe the size of the milky way would be a bit excessive. This leads me to believe that if there is a god, he really doesn't use any type of understandable logic before making a decision.

Anyhow...
edit on 30-3-2012 by Osiris1953 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Why do you guys try to make the existence of aliens into a religion/evolution thread?

Based on everything we know about the probability of life arising spontaneously, if atheistic evolutionists are right, there shouldn't be much life in the universe at all. The existence of life on many planets would actually tend to favor the intelligent design camp, unless an easy way for life to arise spontaneously could be demonstrated.

Also, please understand that there is no way to scientifically confirm or deny the existence of alien life. All speculations are nothing but personal opinions, regardless of whether those speculations come from scientists or not.

For instance, just because a "famed scientist" speculates that life exists all over the universe, he is still doing nothing but speculating. Just being a scientist doesn't make your opinions "scientific".

Science has so far only told us that life exists on earth, and that earth is vastly different than any other actual planet that we have found. Anything else is pure speculation.

I

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Barcs

I think he was referring to the fact that it has similar size, composition and distance from the sun. I'm pretty sure that Venus and Mars are both in the 'habitable' zone in our solar system, although it's been a while since I've read about that.
edit on 30-3-2012 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

The "habitable zone" is just one of many factors that need to be in alignment for human life to survive.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by crimsonhead
Based on everything we know about the probability of life arising spontaneously, if atheistic evolutionists are right, there shouldn't be much life in the universe at all.

Really? Looks to me like the probability of life arising spontaneously in our solar system was 1/8 (in terms of planets), maybe even 2/8 if microbial life is discovered in Mars (and it's not related to life on Earth). So 0.125 - 0.25, I'd say that's a very high probability either way. Do tell what this group of "atheistic evolutionists" claim this number to be (also back your claim with sources).

What is a evolutionist anyways? A person who believes in evolution? It's not a matter of belief but understanding natural laws. I don't believe in evolution anymore than I believe in gravity (gravitationist?), nuclear fusion (fusionist?), or plate tectonics (tectonist?)..
edit on 30-3-2012 by rhinoceros because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by theindependentjournal

Truly enjoyed the video. Visually stunning and numbers-wise (one trillionth of one trillionth) awesome. Thankyou for taking the time to put it up. Habitability for observers goes hand in hand with the best location for observing. It's perfect.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Barcs

Well some of the bunk science is Carbon dating and another is the geological column. It isn't science fact it is a theory with no proof yet. And creationists dont push it on others they push BACK after being pushed.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
It's a documentary of Scientists, many from NASA, that talk about the fact that that other documentary by Sagan called pale blue dot is wrong and that Earth is a very special planet in many ways and the fact that it is unlikely that very many if any planets have all the things necessary for Intelligent life.

They do not say they believe in Creation at any time and even say there could be some planets that fit Earth like in the ways needed to support intelligent life but they would be very few if they do exist. They say their are so many things needed to support intelligent life and they do not believe that very many galaxies or solar systems contain all the things needed for it.

They make many different points. From our atmosphere to the eclipses to the gravity to the type of star(Sun) the system needs. I could go on and on but really its only an hour and it is really good. Never say creation and never say there is no other Earth like planet just argue that there are billions or millions is ridiculous at best. They do kinda inadvertently prove that in their view Aliens traveling is unlikely.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   

It's a documentary of Scientists, many from NASA, that talk about the fact that that other documentary by Sagan called pale blue dot is wrong and that Earth is a very special planet in many ways and the fact that it is unlikely that very many if any planets have all the things necessary for Intelligent life.

Many of those scientists are funded by the Discovery institute, which is semi-scientific at best. They only allow publishing that does not contradict the Bible. So always keep in mind, that they have an agenda. In the documentary they said how important our atmosphere is. Yet, they forgot to mention that it's what it's only because of evolution. Cyanobacteria made our atmosphere oxygen rich. As to the size of the moon, they conveniently forgot to mention, that the distance between the moon and the Earth is not constant, but increasing. Basically, the whole documentary was like this, cherry picking stuff while omitting stuff that totally contradicts the hinted uniqueness..

also:

Charles G. Lambdin reviewed the film, concluding that while life on planets may be remote, there are a lot of planets and "Using Gonzalez and Richard’s own odds of habitability, this suggests that there may be one billion habitable planets due to chance alone. He also argued that the film's claim that the fact that we can do science at all suggests the universe was designed so that we can understand it is no different than the old quip that the nose must have been designed so that we can wear spectacles.

edit on 31-3-2012 by rhinoceros because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   

reply to post by Noncompatible

SO your saying Evolutionists don't start with an idea and prove their point (not really ever it's all bunk science)? I don't know what else to say you didn't dispute one thing they said about the Universe, Sun, Galaxies, Eclipses, Viewing platforms, Chemistry, Physics, science, astrobiology. You just don't like they are possibly Creationists or ID believers. If you refuse to look at others work you are assured to never learn anything I think, I am willing to look at anyone's evidence to support their views and would never throw out good info because I didn't like the messenger!

This is NASA Scientists and experts in their field and you want to throw out all they say because they may believe in intelligent design?

The video was only posted on YouTube/Google 5 weeks ago or months whatever so it is fairly new for all to see!\ for free.

Firstly there is no such thing as an "evolutionist".
Secondly there is nothing to dispute.
None of the scientists interviewed express a bias, that is implied with the narration.
Finally, I will reiterate, they (the producers) take every statement made and introduce the bias ;-
" Don't know? God did it!" and then proceed as if that is what the person said. The true beauty of science lies in working to answer the "we don't know." not arbitrarily using a deity to fill in the gaps.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to

Ahh the infamous ,Privileged Planet'

A 'Scientific Video' derived from a book written by two men over 8 years ago, two men who are associated with the Discovery Institute, you know those guys that put saddles on Dinosaurs....and you're presenting it now as 'awesome evidence that we are alone in the universe'??

[url= Billion Earth-Like planets in our Galaxy Alone

The ever receding nugget of ignorance you guys cling to is getting smaller and smaller every single day.

The universe is too vast, the chemistry too rich, for there to be no other life in the cosmos...

edit on 2-4-2012 by Prezbo369 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by crimsonhead
Why do you guys try to make the existence of aliens into a religion/evolution thread?

It is usually the creationists who do this. They can't make a single thread that supports their views without wrongly attacking science.

Based on everything we know about the probability of life arising spontaneously, if atheistic evolutionists are right, there shouldn't be much life in the universe at all. The existence of life on many planets would actually tend to favor the intelligent design camp, unless an easy way for life to arise spontaneously could be demonstrated.

What about theistic evolutionists? I don't understand why somebody has to be an atheist to accept a scientific theory with tons of evidence behind it? If the universe was designed, it was done very poorly, hence the rarity of life. What a huge waste of resources. FYI, they are called evolutionary biologists. You may want to look it up.

Also, please understand that there is no way to scientifically confirm or deny the existence of alien life. All speculations are nothing but personal opinions, regardless of whether those speculations come from scientists or not.

Similarly there is no way to scientifically confirm or deny the existence of god, but something tells me that won't stop you from promoting it as fact.

The "habitable zone" is just one of many factors that need to be in alignment for human life to survive.

You say that as if I wasn't aware of that. Habitable zone merely means that the planet's oceans won't freeze or boil away due to extreme temperatures. And the habitable zone is beginning to less and less necessary, as we look for life on other planets and moons. One of Saturn's moons, Enceladus, for example has shown evidence of liquid water, despite being nowhere near the goldilocks zone, which could indicate microbial life. Obviously they haven't found it yet, but it warrants further investigation. There are too many factors that are unknown to put any sort of mathematical number behind the probability of life. The video makes up ridiculous numbers to deceive people. It's like the timeless argument "Evolution is like 1000 tornadoes going through 1000 junkyards and assembling a 747. It is complete BS, based on nothing concrete.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join