It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Italians shocked by SELF-IMMOLATION protests

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by pause4thought
reply to post by mtnshredder

It's insanity and blows me away that someone could do this to themselves. There have been 30 self immolations in the past year in Tibet. They were under different circumstances but it's still mind boggling that someone could do this under any circumstance.

Interesting that you should bring that up. I don't think it's insanity, though, in such cases. I think it is totally premeditated, and intended to bring a situation to the attention of the world. Inasmuch as it is done for the sake of a nation it does surely resonate with the concept of self-sacrifice.

What has happened in Italy may or may not have contained an element of calculated purpose on behalf of the nation. At the very least the intention must have been to make a statement to the nation: these acts were not committed in the person's back garden or somewhere else away from the public gaze.

Insanity is also defined as madness or extreme foolish behavior. I think pouring gas on your self and lighting it would qualify as such . I did not mean it so much as in the medical terminology of being psychotic. Although, self immolation is fairly psychotic IMO.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
It's a horrible, and flashy way to go out.

it's quite sad that these people felt the need to go out this way, as well as going out this way in protest.

However, they didn't strap bombs to themselves or hurt anyone else (physically).

If suicide bomber terrorist types were to do THIS instead; self immolate, en mass, whatever cause they had would gain more attention, as well as sympathy, as opposed to just being another retarded suicide bomber/terrorist to be hunted down and killed anyway.

Imagine dozens of people voluntarily settings themselves alight all together, in an organized demonstration for any cause.
It'd very definitely grab some attention, as well as force sympathy.

As a political tool for protest, this is quite a powerful one.
I don't support or agree with anyone doing such, but, do recognize how this is a much more peaceful means of getting attention for an issue, whatever issue that may be, certainly more so than strapping a bomb to oneself.

edit on 29-3-2012 by nineix because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by nineix
It's a horrible, and flashy way to go out.

it's quite sad that these people felt the need to go out this way, as well as going out this way in protest.

However, they didn't strap bombs to themselves or hurt anyone else (physically).

If suicide bomber terrorist types were to do THIS instead; self immolate, en mass, whatever cause they had would gain more attention, as well as sympathy, as opposed to just being another retarded suicide bomber/terrorist to be hunted down and killed anyway.

Imagine dozens of people voluntarily settings themselves alight all together, in an organized demonstration for any cause.
It'd very definitely grab some attention, as well as force sympathy.

edit on 29-3-2012 by nineix because: (no reason given)

Sorry but i got a image in my head when you said a terrorist setting themselves on fire of a hundred terrorist running around screaming in agony and had to comment. I find the image funny myself. Sure it would get alot of attention but they would still be seen as wack jobs. Although i fully support terrorist setting themselves on fire. The tibetans though. Thats a shame. And did a italian do that too? Wow. shame.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Heck.Some of the Zimmerman/martin protesters should light themselves up as a sign of protest.Jesse/Al/Panthers,you listening?Great way to bring attention to your cause

top topics

<< 1   >>

join