It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Italians shocked by SELF-IMMOLATION protests

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Italians shocked by SELF-IMMOLATION protests

www.bbc.co.uk

Italians have been left shocked by two cases of men setting themselves on fire in the past 2 days:

A 58-year-old builder accused of tax evasion set himself alight in his car in Bologna on Wednesday.

...a 27-year-old Moroccan, set himself on fire outside the town hall in Verona on Thursday, saying that he had not been paid for 4 months...

...With Italy in such serious economic trouble, there is now a much more rigorous pursuit of those who do not pay what they owe the state.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I found this truly shocking, and it surely indicates that the economic crises, far from going away —which seems to be the impression the newsrooms have wanted to give in recent weeks— is hitting ordinary people harder than ever. Can anyone remember this type of protest occurring in a developed country before?

It makes you wonder what on earth is going to happen in Greece, where desperation has long been prevalent across the entire nation.

As for Italy there had apparently already been a number of reports of people taking their own lives due to their financial situation.

Where does it all lead?!

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
We need more of these in America
as crazy as that sounds
edit on 29-3-2012 by Jordan River because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jordan River
as crazy as that sounds

Yeah why dont you start with yourself

We need more of them???

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Jordan River

I'd normally say "Practice what you preach before you preach what you practice", but in this case it can't be applied to anybody.

I'll assume you weren't being facetious. Presumably you mean what is needed are clear expressions of "We're at the end of our tether"?

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by pause4thought

I'd normally say "Practice what you preach before you preach what you practice", but in this case it can't be applied to anybody.

I'll assume you weren't being facetious. Presumably you mean what is needed are clear expressions of "We're at the end of our tether"?

I agree with your assessment and dying has no fear to me

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Why would anyone destroy their life over finances? Surely money is not more important, I appreciate the money might be for food etc but even if you have to throw away Western life and find somewhere to try and hunt that would surely be a better option?

There are moments when this type of protest is a last resort and way of making a statement but when it comes to money then I think it’s a waste of your own life.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Brave sounding words any coward can speak.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   

as crazy as that sounds

Yep, another nice christian, I see.

Have you no sympathy with those who are struggling financially - the pain and worry it causes? Or are you just a s**t stirrer who likes to wind people up? You can keep your hypocritical superstitions to yourself and your hypocritical buddies...

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by nightbringr

Brave sounding words any coward can speak.

Like the good majority of ats members behind computer keyboard and florescent screens. Agreed in the end people need to stand up!

Originally posted by Blister

as crazy as that sounds

I'm struggling financially! .

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   

as crazy as that sounds

You still haven't explained your awful statement. Why exactly should America have more of these?

What? People burning themselves to death? I thought jesus lovers were supposed to love their fellow man? Or is that a crock of s**t?

Please explain your position, because from where I'm sitting it sure looks like you're part of the problem.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blister

as crazy as that sounds

You still haven't explained your awful statement. Why exactly should America have more of these?

What? People burning themselves to death? I thought jesus lovers were supposed to love their fellow man? Or is that a crock of s**t?

Please explain your position, because from where I'm sitting it sure looks like you're part of the problem.

People are blinded without horrendous things happening to gain their attention. We need change and to change sacrafice is always in order. Happened throughout the world. Monks burning themselves and the such.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   

So, you see people burning themselves to death as nothing more than PR? Or some sort of sacrifice? Apart from a slight increase in public awareness (I recall monks doing this during the VietNam war.... it was nasty business to deal with and see, but their actions hardly provoked any positive outcomes... or did they?) Tibetan monks? May increase public awareness of the issue, but really WTF difference have such awful happenings actually made?

Have you got evidence to suggest that the PR value of such actions do have a positive influence on the outcome of things such as war, financial crisis, or genocide? It is possible, I suppose. But to suggest that self-immolation should happen more-often in the States is just real bad karma man.
edit on 29-3-2012 by Blister because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com... here you go. i am no longer discussing this

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Blister

I'd like to just interject to say it did start the Arab Spring.

Nonetheless acknowledging its shock and publicity value is one thing; advocating its use is quite another. I think Jordan River wants to suggest sometimes there are only two choices left: passivity or extreme action.

And I have to agree with OwenGP185 that there must be a better way out of a financial crisis for an individual. Sadly the reality is that people in a downward spiral don't always think logically.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   

www.abovetopsecret.com... here you go. i am no longer discussing this

Well, for a start, it seems like you never even entered into discussion - except to promote your end-of-world armageddonist thesis.

If that is all you're about and you're one of those folk who take's joy in seeing other people's pain and death, why the heck did you even bother to say anything. Help your own cause.... go on... end your own world.

I dare you. Ah, but you're only interested in seeing others be the sacrifice ain't ya'? Make me sick man.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fitch303

as crazy as that sounds

Yeah why dont you start with yourself

We need more of them???

No kidding WTH. That has got to be one of the most idiotic statements I have ever read on this site and I've read a few. Jeeeeez.

I posted this threadwww.abovetopsecret.com... yesterday about the Tibetan that passed away recently as a result of self immolation. It's insanity and blows me away that someone could do this to themselves. There have been 30 self immolations in the past year in Tibet. They were under different circumstances but it's still mind boggling that someone could do this under any circumstance. This seems to be the current trend for suicide.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by pause4thought

Hi ya, yeah one outrage can be the spark that lights the inferno of revolution. However, I had a friend who killed himself over his personal debt and forever I feel his death was just a total waste of a damn good and fine life. Such possibilities for him. But it was the debt that brought him down. Did his suicide change anything? Nada. Nothing. The finance company probably picked-up its insurance on the debt and probably made a buck or two extra.

For me, the problem is that the world we live in is now so impersonal and rigid, especially when it comes to finance and banking stuff. We are just numbers (unless we are the 1%). Somehow I don't think that self-immolation can really change anything that isn't ready to be changed by any other emotional, random event.

Plus, IMHO what we need is a financial and economic system that both protects individuals and communities AND business. It can be done, with better community and state/federal oversight of business. That does require change. Huge change that many are not prepared to even consider.

Will 1000 such suicides change their thinking? I doubt it. A lot of people just don't give a damn
edit on 29-3-2012 by Blister because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
i am over tired and on a fatigue syndrom i cannot really discuss myself in a ordinarily fashion . and i dont speak honey i speak razors. i dont consider it suicide i consider it martyrdom

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by mtnshredder

It's insanity and blows me away that someone could do this to themselves. There have been 30 self immolations in the past year in Tibet. They were under different circumstances but it's still mind boggling that someone could do this under any circumstance.

Interesting that you should bring that up. I don't think it's insanity, though, in such cases. I think it is totally premeditated, and intended to bring a situation to the attention of the world. Inasmuch as it is done for the sake of a nation it does surely resonate with the concept of self-sacrifice.

What has happened in Italy may or may not have contained an element of calculated purpose on behalf of the nation. At the very least the intention must have been to make a statement to the nation: these acts were not committed in the person's back garden or somewhere else away from the public gaze.

<<   2 >>

join