It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crossbows

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I have started thinking that crossbows seem pretty sweet. Basically a near silent short to mid range weapon with a potentially recoverable/usable projectile. The slow reload time is about the only drawback (no pun intended) unless the repeating crossbow idea picks up and becomes more efficient. Maybe there is a hush hush community of repeating crossbow enthusiasts out there that don't want the anti gun crowd coming after them too =P. Any thoughts?

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I too think crossbows would be a very good thing to have in a SHTF scenario.. people will run out of bullets eventually, you can make crossbow bolts fairly simply, and plus.. they're pretty damn cool.

My uncle had made his own crossbow to fire four bolts at once, thing was crazy heh.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
theres nothing wrong with most forms of weaponry when used correctly as consideration of your environment is important like not using a flame thrower near an open gas supply etc
so the use of a crossbow as a hunting weapon at medium range is fine and in a SHTF you'd probably want to save your bullets for humans rather than some bunny that won't fire back but the setup/stringing etc of a crossbow is more of an art than just popping a few bullets in a gun so may not be one for the person who is a bit more lazy

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
May I suggest an Arbalest?

Of course I am referring to the "Heavy Crossbow".

And the range on these things is quite amazing as well.

The strongest windlass-pulled arbalests could have up to 22 kN (5000 lbf) of force and be accurate up to 900 m. A skilled arbalestier (arblaster) could shoot two bolts per minute.

Wiki - Arbalest

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Yep, that'll do nicely methinks. haha.

Its gonna be a wierd feeling when you realize that the # has hit the fan and you're like grab the arbalest!

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
cross bows can be made out of stuff that is lying around
cross bows are silent
with a night sight, they might be pretty dangerous

also you can tip the bolt with creative stuff that goes boom

you can tie the bolt off to a spool and haul it back with a duck or a fish on it
( I wonder if anyone ever tried loosing one thats tied off into a chopper's rotating blades?..like a take up spool
edit on 29-3-2012 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   
The reload time is of course the big drawback.
The other is of course that like with any bow, you have to compensate for arcing with a distance shot.

On the reloading crossbows, the problem is draw weight is poor, so your range and lethality is compromised.

I actually ended up selling my crossbow, as it just didn't seem a practical weapon to me, after using it a bit. Your mileage may vary.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Thescripter

yea crossbows dont seem to get the attention they deserve lately...

let me tell you in any situation id rather have a crossbow for the long run than have a gun that runs out of bullets, or jams, or cant get wet, or cant get dirty, etc...

not only is ammunition easier to acquire for crossbows/ regular bows, but they are way more reliable and dependent than most guns...

the only drawback is that they are not as easy to conceal compared to guns

join