It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada Budget 2012: Penny is no longer

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Might as well get rid of all change and round up to the nearest worthless dollar.
2nd

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by mikelkhall

If we get rid of all change, we would be rounding up to the nearest 5 dollars

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:52 AM
link   
In Australia, I thought that getting rid of the 1c and 2c pieces were good. Things just got rounded up or down to the nearest domination of 5cents.

$1.77 = $1.75
$1.78 = $1.80

Now pretty much were are talking about getting rid of the 5c piece as it's a really irritating coin too.
AS far as i'm concerned, get rid of the 10cent piece too, as most vending machines, and local council parking meters don't take 10cent pieces anymore, so to me it already feels like a void piece of currency.
edit on 30-3-2012 by DaRAGE because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:55 AM
link   
Im from Canada and I dont really see this being a problem.

Tonight at the store, I bought some food and the total came to $4.23, I handed the cashier a 5 dollar bill and he gave my back 3 quarters.

Cheers
edit on 30-3-2012 by FoxMulder91 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 04:11 AM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

Saw it on the CBC news screen, before they got in a quick shot of all those so-called "student" protestors in the background. Who reportedly had to be invited in my someone in order to be in the gallery. Never heard more of them.

To the penny, it figures, just after I learned the value of a penny saved is a penny earned..

And yes, the US penny pre-'82 contains copper; the same for the Cdn penny, pre-'84.

What a marvelous way to increase prices
What a savings for the already under-used brainpower when adding/subtracting money
What an ingenious way to stockpile copper and get it out of the hands of the average folk, Danbones gets it
All above mentioned in this thread.

What a sneaky way to squeeze out Cdn currency. How much closer are we to the amer o, or whatever its referred to now ?
We've seen the CDN/US currency cruise pretty much on par for the last while, a predicted as part of the set up to bring in the new NA currency.

To the Penny!

edit on 30-3-2012 by ItsEvolutionBaby because: credit

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

I do not know exactly how they do it but I think it is somekind of money scam. Here in Europe we "enjoy" the Euro and with its introduction we were "happy" to be able to pay with one cent and two cent coins.

For some years now more and more shops refuse to take these cent coins as payment. One day I wanted to pay my groceries including some of these coins and was told to take them back because they didn't accept them anymore. I asked why...? The woman behind the counter told me that returning all these customer received cents to the bank would cost the shop owner too much.

As I understand it there must have been bright minds with the best educational backgrounds of the best universities thinking about how to introduce a new money into several countries at once. This cent problem occured before with our previous dutch money and now it happens again with the euro coins. This smells of money scam to me if banks pretent not to know this would happen.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

I was being factitious. I love my little, shiny, coppery pennies. Yes I do.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by mikelkhall

I toss al my pennies into one of those huge water cooler jugs. It's 3/4 full, I wonder how much it will weigh when I top it off lmao.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Leftist

I am a pizza delivery driver now. the only time I want a person's pennies is when they say keep the change. With gas prices the way they are pennies are just condescending. Where I work we get 1.37 per trip. Not much when you figure in gas. Then for someone to hand us some pennies as a tip. Here's a tip, don't be a cheap jerk, break out a 5. At least then I might make minimum wage for bringing you a pizza at midnight when I should be at the store trying to close up but you just had to order a pizza as a midnight snack on a tuesday and then want to tip me with pennies. +sigh+ reply to post by AgentX09

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by blivey

It's not the customer's fault you took a job with crappy wages + tip. I tip based on speed and attitude. There have been times I did not tip at all because they took too long. Maybe their fault, maybe the cook's fault. Not my problem wither way.

Tip based jobs are a bad job in economic slumps. They were great back when I was in HS, when gas was a decent price. Their minimum paid for my gas, and put a little money in my pocket. Tips were icing on the cake. Nowadays, not so much.
edit on Fri, 30 Mar 2012 18:05:45 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikelkhall
reply to post by TKDRL

I was being facetious. I love my little, shiny, coppery pennies. Yes I do.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL
you are absolutely right. A pennies type tip is appropriate for bad service. I am talking about good service and still tipping ridiculously low. For excellent service, a few pennies are an insult.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by blivey

I have tipped with pennies before, when it's all I had(not a few pennies, but a few bucks in rolled pennies). I am embarrassed for some odd reason about loose change, makes me feel like a bum. I always use rolled change, when buying from the store, or tipping etc. Now that I am in canada, I make exceptions for loonies and toonies.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   
I wonder what would happen to those tricks employers use to lure in some cutsomers..

"This TV, its not $2,000, its not $1,500, its not even $1,000!!! Its only $999.99." they defiantly need to do something else to get customers buy things lol.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   
^ The 99999 trick is to make you subconsciously believe it's cheaper.

Its 8.99, but you believe it's only 8$. Over time.

Nothing new here tho

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 12:59 AM
link   
You have to really understand what money is and where it comes from to understand how this anti-penny action is really an attack upon the citizens. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with the supposed ''price'' of manufacturing fiat tokens. It has nothing at all to do with ease of transactions. It is simply a social engineering tactic used to usher out your freedom and liberty and usher in the leftist agenda.

Any of your complaints against the penny are totally baseless.

Here is the sarcasm.... why not just do away with the number 1? Teach children to count starting at 2.

Oh, and I want to add, The United States will not be getting rid of the penny. We are the winners. What? What did you say? Read your history books. We are the winners. The leftists are constantly attacking us because we. are. the. winners. We will not be toppled. We are on top. We are the very top.

edit on 3-4-2012 by XXX777 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   
The final Canadian penny will be made on Friday.

The Royal Canadian Mint said it will commemorate the end of the production of the penny with a ceremonial coin strike Friday morning in Winnipeg.

Finance Minister Jim Flaherty announced the penny's fate in March.

"Pennies take up too much space on our dressers at home. They take up too much time for small businesses trying to grow and create jobs," Flaherty said in his budget announcement.

The mint says it costs 1.6 cents to produce a penny.

The federal government will save $11 million a year when production of the penny ends. It estimates tens of millions of pennies are being hoarded.

Pennies will gradually be withdrawn from circulation, but consumers can continue to use them indefinitely.

www.calgarysun.com...

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
THANK GOD

I hate pennies soo much, I been waiting forever for them to get rid of them, even when i go into a store and they give me pennies for change I usually just dont take them or just throw them away outside

The Beer Store and LCBO got rid of these worthless things along time ago.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
So, as I have experienced for some long time now, we are going to be paying a dollar [pound] for something that is only worth a penny [cent]. That is 10,000 % inflation ! The budget is simply legalization of theft. It is because of this kind of government criminality that we are entering into such a deep economic recession.

The law that I live by and which is holding us all bonded is called PRAECEPTAE CAELENIUM (tm). I did not read it in a book. You will not find it in any book. It was revealed to me by audio clairvoyance during the celebrations of the New Millennium in 2000. Summed up it basically means no sex no drugs and no violence. (1) From eternity to eternity, infinity to infinity, there be the one absolute. The One True God. Her names are many but she be the one true God there be no other God. The one judge there be no other judge. (2) La Deus Nostra, Notre Dame, Our Lady, The Holy Spirit, the cause the maker Cosmica. (3) Angelic powers of truth and beauty and righteousness be sure to be loving Her Holiness Above with all your mind and with all your heart and with all your strength. (4) So as to be pleasing to Her Holiness Above therefore do not be serving the masculine. (5) Do not be and do not allow masculinity into positions of government. (6) Honour and respect the virgin pureness of the christae. (7) Honour and respect the Immaculate Conception [parthenogenesis] reproductive process of the christae. (8) Do not fornicate or adulterate or sodomize. (9) Do not bully or torture or murder. (10) Do not lie. (11) Do not steal. (12) Do not be covetous. (13) Do not be jealous. Copyright NGL(c)2000.

He who trusts in violence to be his security cannot speak that he trusts in God to be his security.

AVE RAEGINA CAELINA LA DEUS NOSTRA CAELI LA VERA DEUS
edit on 4/5/2012 by CAELENIUM because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   
UPDATE!

12 things you need to know!

Finance Minister Jim Flaherty announced the surprise demise of the one-cent coin in his budget last March, saying the penny had become a nuisance. The government planned to stop distribution of the coin in the fall, but the date was later moved to Feb. 4 after retailers and small businesses said they feared making the change during the busy holiday season. Flaherty also said he wanted to give charities more time to launch so-called “penny drive” campaigns.

Other countries who have turfed the penny?
Other countries have already withdrawn their one-cent coins, including Switzerland, the Netherlands, Norway and Australia. New Zealand successfully eliminated its five-cent piece in 2006, after dumping its one- and two-cent coins.

Goodbye, U.S. penny?
In the U.S., a penny costs more than two cents and a nickel costs more than 11 cents to make and distribute – it’s little wonder that Americans are looking to see what happens in Canada come Feb. 4.

Debit card + Cheques?
Electronic transactions, such as those on debit cards or credit cards, will still be registered in cents, as will cheque payments.

Cash register purchases, post-penny?
Starting Feb. 4, prices at cash registers will be rounded up or down to the nearest five-cent increment. However, there are no government-imposed rules or policing.

Are pennies still legal tender?
The penny will remain legal tender indefinitely and can still be used in cash transactions with businesses that choose to accept them. However, some businesses may decline to accept pennies after Feb. 4 as there is no federal requirement that they do so.

www.calgaryherald.com...
edit on 28-1-2013 by CALGARIAN because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join