It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada Budget 2012: Penny is no longer

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   

fullcomment.nationalpos t.com

OTTAWA — The lowly penny, once an important unit of currency but long since reduced to providing little more than irritating pocket ballast and use in nursery-school rhymes, was declared officially redundant in the 2012 budget.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
About time! I believe Australia did this 10 years ago, and the effects were very minimal.

So I wonder what about certain provinces that have an odd number tax wage, such as N.B with 13% tax. Would that need to go up to 15% or down to 10%? Or would the prices of items need to reflect that of the tax, so it's an even number when the total price is tallied?

I'm sure the U.S will be to follow.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
if it was like when we got rid of the halfpenny here in the uk then the price of everything will be rounded up especially for taxes etc and the government never misses an opportunity to up its revenue

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

When it comes to government, nothing comes down. It all goes up.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
If we are getting rid of the penny, might as well toss away the nickel too and round everything to the nearest 10 cents. Will make it much easier for math idiots to calculate change and such, with the falling quality of the school systems, it would help a lot

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   
our devalued currency in action

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   

edit on 29-3-2012 by Common Good because: (no reason given)

Sorry -Delete- Fine me a Penny

To add to the thread so I dont look like a total Jerk- I say.... Keep the penny. Getting rid of it just shows weakness.

edit on 29-3-2012 by Common Good because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Man, i must have tens of thousands of pennies in boxes at home.

How long do i have to cash these puppies in?

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I always get rid of mine by giving them as part of the tips i give to the fast food delivery drivers.They could use the extra.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
If we are getting rid of the penny, might as well toss away the nickel too and round everything to the nearest 10 cents. Will make it much easier for math idiots to calculate change and such, with the falling quality of the school systems, it would help a lot

Might as well get rid of the dime and round to the nearest quarter.

That will make it even easier.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by AgentX09
I always get rid of mine by giving them as part of the tips i give to the fast food delivery drivers.They could use the extra.

Do you also give each kid a penny on Hallowe'en, you cheap bastard?

If I were a delivery driver and someone gave me pennies I'd toss them back.
edit on 29-3-2012 by TheComte because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheComte

Originally posted by AgentX09

Do you also give each kid a penny on Hallowe'en, you cheap bastard?

If I were a delivery driver and someone gave me pennies I'd toss them back.
edit on 29-3-2012 by TheComte because: (no reason given)

You've never been a delivery driver, then. I have. (Pizza girl!) I was always running out of pennies and nickels.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by TheComte

Typical reaction for an ingrate.....
The pennies are sometimes all we have to give.....
You yanks want to tag on a 15% surcharge on every bloody thing! just cause it passed through your hands!
say the drivers just do their jobs and expect zilch for that................
Tips are for the customer to decide NOT the server!

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
hang on to the copper ones

they may never be worth much individually
but as copper...

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones
hang on to the copper ones

they may never be worth much individually
but as copper...

After 1982 the US penny was no longer made from solid copper.

From mid-year 1982, US pennies have been made of a cheaper metal with a very thin copper coating.

Pre-1982 US pennies are made of copper. Some 1982 pennies (made in the first half of the year) were made from copper.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by CALGARIAN

OTTAWA — The lowly penny, once an important unit of currency but long since reduced to providing little more than irritating pocket ballast and use in nursery-school rhymes, was declared officially redundant in the 2012 budget.

Thanks for the heads-up. The US will follow -- it's only a matter of time.

I just found a 1982 Canadian penny. It had a different shape from the US penny. I will keep this as a memento.
edit on 29-3-2012 by AuranVector because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by stirling
reply to post by TheComte

Typical reaction for an ingrate.....
The pennies are sometimes all we have to give.....
You yanks want to tag on a 15% surcharge on every bloody thing! just cause it passed through your hands!
say the drivers just do their jobs and expect zilch for that................
Tips are for the customer to decide NOT the server!

First of all, I'm not American. Secondly, what are you doing ordering anything if you can't afford it?

Thirdly, you are right, if you don't want to tip then don't tip but don't insult someone by giving them a few pennies.

How do you think a waiter/waitress would feel if you left a 2 cent tip? I hope you don't think they should be grateful.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I think it was back in the 90's they did that here in Australia, they removed the 1 and 2 cent coins leaving our 5 cent coin as the lowest denomination in our currency. Everything just gets rounded up or down, 3 or 4 cents gets rounded up to 5 and 1 and 2 cents gets round down. When ever I put fuel in the car i always stop the pump 2 cents over the total and get 14ml of free fuel lol i am such a bad man.

also even today i can still cash in 1 and 2 cent coins to banks i think.
edit on 29-3-2012 by oddnutz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

our great Canadian government has been hinting for quite some time that the lowly little penny was going the way of t-rex.how else do you increase our taxes upwards more ,considering that there are still 1920`s pennies still in everyday circulation over here and our government says it costs to much to mint.sounds like our fed over here is screaming foul or is it raise the taxes until there is nothing to give .13 % tax rate on all goods and services which will no hit 15 to 20 cents due to the gross mismanagement of our tax dollars by all levels of our governments.

as our beloved pinochle mcginty just back doored every Canadian with a 7%tax hike that he said was the businesses being given only one place to pay ite taxes --so sorry he in fact added 7% more tax to those businesses and stuck every Canadian with it -as it is hidden in the gst + hst that he now charges the businesses it was just gst that we the businesses were charged so he hid it under the pretense of another lie.
meaning business pays 7% +6% to the government and then they have to overcharge us another 13% at the till oh yea the first 13% is charged to every body that works on it from start to finish so that can be 50% or more tax that is already paid to the government by the different businesses before it is even rung into the till for you the consumer .
our governments at work--HIGHWAYMEN have not disappeared they are our governments and they wear no masks.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 01:22 AM
link   
And another 7 million dollars of "saved" annual public funds will sink into the government bog, never to be heard of again. Maybe the magpies just like shiny things? Sell us your old, broken gold ... silver .... old useless copper pennies. Makes a hell of a slush fund ... eh?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join