It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IP addresses

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
ok so I was reading about anon "shutting" down the internet sat. and read that you should still be able to get on so sites by directly typing in the IP adresses so my question is how do you find them and where do I type them in i'm not very good with computers so please make this as easy as possilble, also I'm not sure I believe this will really happen but I'm a big believer in being prepared, also I don't want this thread to become some huge arguement on wether you believe it'll happen or not, so please just help me and keep your opinions to yourself!! thanks in advance!!

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
You can call up command box in windows and use the ping command to find out the ip address of a website. You just type in :

ping [site address]

and you will see the IP adress of that site.

This is an example of getting the IP address of www.abovetopsecret.com using the ping command.

Which returns an IP adress of 67.228.0.162.

You then just put this IP address into the address bar in your Internet browser to get to the site.

edit on 29-3-2012 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by RN311

For instance. www.abovetopsecret.com is what you would normally put in the address bar to go to the site.

It is the same way for ip addresses, you can enter 67.228.0.162 and get to the same place.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

ok dumb question but what is a comand box?

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by RN311

ok alot of websites are hosted on the same physical host using the same ip address so it may not work as it depends on the webserver software so it can tell which one of the sites you want

the chances of anon being able to shut down the internet are pretty low, while they may be able to hack into and shut down certain nodes the design of the internet is that of resilience so if you shut down one node then the traffic is rerouted via another route (think of traffic and if theres a car crash at a junction how people just work around it) and may cause slow downs etc

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by RN311

Start > Run > type 'cmd' > ok

This will take you to the command box

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
or acces like normal anon will not be able to take the internet down,and isnt the day after april fools day?

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by RN311

A command line box is a box that allows you to enter command line (text) commands. In this case the 'ping' command.

In XP go to Start menu > Run and type in

cmd

or in Vista / Windows 7 just go to your Start menu and in the search part type in CMD and then click the entry for CMD that pops up under programs.

This is what the blank command line box looks like

edit on 29-3-2012 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by RN311

for windows xp click start, run and type cmd.exe
for vista click start and type cmd.exe in search box

ya what he said ^ ha

edit on 29-3-2012 by TheGuyFawkes because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

thanks!!! I figured it out

edit on 29-3-2012 by RN311 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by RN311

start -> Run -> type in "cmd", without quotations -> command prompt opens (big black screen), type "ping www.abovetopsecret.com" without quotations, then hit enter.
You'll then see a reply ping showing you one of the IP addresses.

Write it down and continue doing the same for all the sites you want to go to.

put the IP adress into the area of whatever web browser you use that you usually put in www.whatever.com

or,

Do nothing.

Unless half the people on the planet are network professionals or former networking professionals like myself, there's no way this Anon group is going to kill every DNS server on the planet, or even impact traffic all that much.

There's too many DNS servers.

They might 'shut down the internet' at whatever honeycomb hideout they like to hang out at, but, if that's what they want to do, they can live off the grid entirely and I'm sure they'd be happy, if that indeed is the kind of thing that makes them happy..

Me no scared. Nothing will happen, or at least nothing noticeable.

Edit: eh. looks like 20 dozen other people beat me to the punch. That's what I get for being wordy and opinionated.

edit on 29-3-2012 by nineix because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

In the event all DNS servers went down that wouldn't work.

Besides an ip address is technically no different than a phone number. To answer the op's question, how do you find out peoples telephone numbers? They give them to you when you ask
, i can only imagine that would be the immediate way of finding out where to reach websites.

For example, a friend could get ahold of a server address for a site which is posting more information about other ip addresses to reach servers.

Major .onions TLD's on the tor network would be unaffected by a DNS outage aswell, for the fact it uses a decentralized DNS system. As long as one could get connected to the internet in some way with a complete DNS outage, you would only need to reach one website that has some form of comments/guestbook where people can start posting and sharing information.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Considering that I've yet to have one single 404 happen, since this was suppose to have happened, um, when(?), I suspect that your concerns were entirely unwarranted.

In other words, for future reference, regardless the hype, don't believe the hype.

top topics

join