It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Where are my rights?

page: 2
2
<< 1    3 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I think the teacher may have overreacted (I was not there to witness)...

However, I can understand his stance. I get disgusted when I see people smoking anywhere near kids, on school property or in cars where kids are or are going to be.

Sorry and I hope it doesn't come off as rude. But save the cigarettes for when you are not around kids and not on school property.

I don't have a lot of pity for smokers, I admit it. Especially when it comes to kids.

Smokers infringe on other people's rights ALL the time.....

Cant tell you how many times I have to walk out of a store into a nasty haze of cigarette smoke because smokers are standing around contaminating the air of where I have to walk.....

While many states have distance laws....many smokers do not respect these laws.
edit on March 30th 2012 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)




posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Evolutionsend
reply to post by nightbringr
 



I'm also reasonably certain that the teacher has zero legal authority, and by stopping my car was breaking the law.


the teacher did not break the law....
you were on school property. there are all kinds of rules you must follow while on school property.
sure, you were in your car, but him stopping you was not a violation. just his voicing his opinion on you smoking around kids.

you may want to look up smoking rules in your state....many states have a zero tollerance policy for smoking on school grounds. car or not, you are on school grounds.school laws for smoking on property...
edit on March 30th 2012 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)



posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Evolutionsend
 


lol
funny how all the people complaining about 2nd hand cigarette smoke
aren't as vehement and righteous when it's about all the toxins in the environment food, water, etc.

they don't feel so tough when a corporation or the government is the guilty party, or righteous when it's something they're contributing to [auto-exhaust, pharmaceuticals in the water, etc.]

but that's how petty-tyrants with their authoritarianism/bully issues roll.
like pigs in the mud.

as for your rights they can only be taken away if you allow them to be taken away.

that said in your case it can't be helped, even if you park across the street from a school,
your cigarette smoke will attract little hitlers like sht attracts flies.



posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Evolutionsend
reply to post by nightbringr
 


To be honest I read the above laws actually posted at the top. It looks like I could technically smoke if I had the windows up. More to the point though, it sounds like good old fashioned fascism taking root in our country. Whenever you make a concesion to please one group, that steps on another, that's fascism. That law needs to be reviewed, along with a few hundred others that are walking the line of fascism.

I'm also reasonably certain that the teacher has zero legal authority, and by stopping my car was breaking the law.


So, you dont care your secondhand smoke could harm your little sister, or just in denial?

I could also point out that you, by not caring what your habits do to others, are a fascist. You think your right to smoke is greater than others rights to fresh air and to live a healthy life.

I used to smoke, but gave it up when my first child was born. I didnt want to subject her to it.



posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by DerepentLEstranger
reply to post by Evolutionsend
 


lol
funny how all the people complaining about 2nd hand cigarette smoke
aren't as vehement and righteous when it's about all the toxins in the environment food, water, etc.

they don't feel so tough when a corporation or the government is the guilty party, or righteous when it's something they're contributing to [auto-exhaust, pharmaceuticals in the water, etc.]

but that's how petty-tyrants with their authoritarianism/bully issues roll.
like pigs in the mud.

as for your rights they can only be taken away if you allow them to be taken away.

that said in your case it can't be helped, even if you park across the street from a school,
your cigarette smoke will attract little hitlers like sht attracts flies.


That makes me lol.

Do you actually think im OK with exaust fumes, contaminants and the other things you list? Are you so naive as to believe ANYONE is ok with those things?

And yeah, people like you are sad. I was once a smoker, but somthing happened in my life that made me stop. While unlike you, i always realized it was bad and certainly never smoked around children, when my first child was born, i decided i didnt want to expose her to it at all, ever. That makes me a pig in the mud? Funny, i think it makes me a better parent.

And its laughable that you think your right to smoke is greater than my right to live a healthy life. You sir, are the one with bully issues.



posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo
 


I fail to see how that law can extend to the private property inside my car. It sounds unconstitutional actually. Any cops or lawyers around these parts?

For the record this is a thread about the united states of america. I could care less what a bunch of Canadians have to say about the subject.

If you don't like my right to smoke a cigarette, then you have the right to carry your ass elsewhere. The same as I would do if faced with a noisy child, a smelly person, a slow elderly person, and anyone or anything that is not to my liking.
edit on 30-3-2012 by Evolutionsend because: (no reason given)



posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by nightbringr

Originally posted by DerepentLEstranger
reply to post by Evolutionsend
 


lol
funny how all the people complaining about 2nd hand cigarette smoke
aren't as vehement and righteous when it's about all the toxins in the environment food, water, etc.

they don't feel so tough when a corporation or the government is the guilty party, or righteous when it's something they're contributing to [auto-exhaust, pharmaceuticals in the water, etc.]

but that's how petty-tyrants with their authoritarianism/bully issues roll.
like pigs in the mud.

as for your rights they can only be taken away if you allow them to be taken away.

that said in your case it can't be helped, even if you park across the street from a school,
your cigarette smoke will attract little hitlers like sht attracts flies.


That makes me lol.

funny that, your post has made me RLMFAO


Do you actually think im OK with exaust fumes, contaminants and the other things you list? Are you so naive as to believe ANYONE is ok with those things?

show me the last time you went up to an offender in the class above and stopped them
have you stopped driving?, stopped pissing your pharmaceutical waste into the water supply?
stopped a corporation from dumping toxic waste?
remember pics or it didn't happen


And yeah, people like you are sad. I was once a smoker, but somthing happened in my life that made me stop. While unlike you, i always realized it was bad and certainly never smoked around children, when my first child was born, i decided i didnt want to expose her to it at all, ever. That makes me a pig in the mud? Funny, i think it makes me a better parent.

i find people like you pitiful, you think your stopping smoking:
HAS CHANGED THE WORLD AND MADE IT A CLEANER,SAFER PLACE FOR EVERYONE.
[truly some folks are are full of..
themselves
]


And its laughable that you think your right to smoke is greater than my right to live a healthy life. You sir, are the one with bully issues.


i think it laughable you're ASSuming i said what you're claiming
i am currently living in the Caribbean,
pray tell: how does my cigarette smoke affect you and your kids?

as for your rights
they aren't yours when you need to appeal to higher authorities to enforce them, because you aren't able to.

but thank you for playing; you prove my point:
some people have a deep need to tell others how to live, often basing themselves on knee jerk reactions, this is the result of feeling powerless, so they look up to authority figures
who usually use and abuse them.

but hey if that's how you get off...



posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
The above two post show the selfishness and narrowmindedness of those struggling with addiction. Not once have you admitted that what you do can and has been proven to harm others, let alone yourself.

Keep sucking back those smokes! Its a waste of money and health. Thank god you are not Canadian, because our universal healthcare would require me to pay for your hospital care when you get lung cancer, emphysema and more and look like you are 80 when you are really 40. Have fun with that!



posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Evolutionsend
reply to post by greeneyedleo
 


I fail to see how that law can extend to the private property inside my car. It sounds unconstitutional actually. Any cops or lawyers around these parts?
For the record this is a thread about the united states of america. I could care less what a bunch of Canadians have to say about the subject.

If you don't like my right to smoke a cigarette, then you have the right to carry your ass elsewhere. The same as I would do if faced with a noisy child, a smelly person, a slow elderly person, and anyone or anything that is not to my liking.
edit on 30-3-2012 by Evolutionsend because: (no reason given)


the teacher ranted at you. he didn't force you to stop. while i get your rant, he broke no law and you were not forced to stop your habit.


decided to stop me, and mouth off to me in the way that I assume he speaks to students. I was smoking a cigarette inside my car...
he has the rright to voice his opinion to you, just like you have the right to voice yours. i still see nowhere he broke a law.

and im not canadian so not sure what that is about....

and your attitude shows that smokers infringe on non-smokers rights all the time w/out a care in the world.

edit on March 30th 2012 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)



posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by DerepentLEstranger
i find people like you pitiful, you think your stopping smoking:
HAS CHANGED THE WORLD AND MADE IT A CLEANER,SAFER PLACE FOR EVERYONE.
[truly some folks are are full of..
themselves
]

I didnt quit to make it safer for everyone. I quit to save money, my health, and most importantly the health of my newborn baby girl. If you dont understand that, i cant help you.

Originally posted by DerepentLEstranger
i think it laughable you're ASSuming i said what you're claiming
i am currently living in the Caribbean,
pray tell: how does my cigarette smoke affect you and your kids?

It doesnt. Can i not worry about the other people you are subjecting to your cancerous smoke? Should i only selfishly worry about myself like you do?

Originally posted by DerepentLEstranger
as for your rights
they aren't yours when you need to appeal to higher authorities to enforce them, because you aren't able to.

Tough words any coward can speak. Are you suggesting that i always take the law into my own hands? Eye for an eye and all that? I wouldnt need the law to prevent someone from smoking in my house, i would simply kick them out. No idea what your on about here really.

Originally posted by DerepentLEstranger
but thank you for playing; you prove my point:
some people have a deep need to tell others how to live, often basing themselves on knee jerk reactions, this is the result of feeling powerless, so they look up to authority figures
who usually use and abuse them.

but hey if that's how you get off...

I couldnt give a rats ass how you want to live. I am a big proponent of small government and as little government interference in my life as possible. I do not want to be told what to do. I think everyone should be able to do anything they want, including smoking, drinking, hell even illegal drugs AS LONG AS IT DOESNT INTERFERE WITH OTHERS!! What we put into our bodies is our own business. Forcing others to injest thse substances is wrong however. Hell, even when i was a smoker i politely obliged people and butted out when i was asked. No idea why your so selfish and self serving as to disregard the well being of your fellow man.



posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo
 


Actually I was forced to stop and threatened with a fine when he had no authority. He assumed I was a student.

In this state you are not allowed to stop, block, or threaten anyone with prosecution or arrest. If someone breaks into your home, and you shoot them in the leg, you may not stop them from leaving the scene on their other leg. Unless another law gives him legal authority while on school grounds, he broke the law as well. He did not simply voice an opinion, he stopped my vehicle and demanded I put it out immediately or face a "huge fine!"

I'm just going to get in contact with the school board and let them know how he spoke to me and let them know that he feels he has legal authority (and find out if he does). I've heard he speaks to his students the same way. He's going to learn respect. Had he approached me with respect, I wouldn't even be mad.

He also did not identify himself as a teacher. He approached me as a police officer would, and the only reason he didn't get the riot act is because I thought he was a cop. That may also be illegal, I don't know the criteria for impersonating a police officer but if I thought he was one.....then he was effectively impersonating one imo.
edit on 30-3-2012 by Evolutionsend because: (no reason given)



posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   

edit on 30-3-2012 by DerepentLEstranger because: nvm not worth it



posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Evolutionsend
reply to post by greeneyedleo
 


Actually I was forced to stop and threatened with a fine when he had no authority. He assumed I was a student.

In this state you are not allowed to stop, block, or threaten anyone with prosecution or arrest. If someone breaks into your home, and you shoot them in the leg, you may not stop them from leaving the scene on their other leg. Unless another law gives him legal authority while on school grounds, he broke the law as well. He did not simply voice an opinion, he stopped my vehicle and demanded I put it out immediately or face a "huge fine!"

I'm just going to get in contact with the school board and let them know how he spoke to me and let them know that he feels he has legal authority (and find out if he does). I've heard he speaks to his students the same way. He's going to learn respect. Had he approached me with respect, I wouldn't even be mad.

He also did not identify himself as a teacher. He approached me as a police officer would, and the only reason he didn't get the riot act is because I thought he was a cop. That may also be illegal, I don't know the criteria for impersonating a police officer but if I thought he was one.....then he was effectively impersonating one imo.
edit on 30-3-2012 by Evolutionsend because: (no reason given)


Can you please source this law he broke. Im curious....as I study criminal law.

next, he was not impersonating a police officer. Your story is changing each time you post based on responses.

you said he was a teacher. now you say he was impersonating a cop? you said he was just yelling at you. now you say he threatened you?
edit on March 31st 2012 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)



posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   
I don't have the patience with people anymore to hold my tongue, in fact i've become quite the nasty troll in person, compared to my nice internet persona, opposite to the world lol.

but really, I would've just been like EFF YOU, GOOD DAY. and that's that. don't care what anyone thinks about me.



posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Evolutionsend
 



Next time smoke a cigar. Light 2 ciggs and hold one in each hand. Buy an e-cigg and smoke in the building. Stick ciggs in your ears, in both nostrils and one in your mouth.. only one lit.. you choose which one.
Shine him on.. youll have fun pushing his delicate sensibilities into a major melt down. There is no law against amusing yourself by poking at a twit. Ive found it keeps me internally peaceful and less likely to go homicidal. Its like all the benefits of xanax without the chemicals and expense.



Anyhoo, tiny people on powertrips have NO business playing dictator at school.. makes me feel sorry for the students.



posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by nightbringr
 





Tough words any coward can speak.

lol
says the slave about free people
i'm not the one paying protection taxes
on his knees here

PS the subject here is "Where are my rights?"

it's not about you.

blowing a smoke ring your and your ASSumptions way




posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by DerepentLEstranger
lol
says the slave about free people
i'm not the one paying protection taxes
on his knees here

Care to tell me what the hell your talking about here?


Originally posted by DerepentLEstranger
PS the subject here is "Where are my rights?"

it's not about you.

No, its about the OP and her feeling like her rights were stepped upon, which of course is false. An earlier poster linked the law proving it is in fact false. When on school grounds, whether in her car or not, she mustr follow their rules. If someone drove onto my driveway, it is still my driveway, no idea why you have such a hard time grasping this. So, to make it easy for you, she does not have the right to smoke on school grounds.

Originally posted by DerepentLEstranger
blowing a smoke ring your and your ASSumptions way

English isnt your first language, is it?



posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by nightbringr
 


Yes she DOES have the right to smoke on school grounds...I asked a friend that is a teacher; she said it's not a law it is a policy. Teachers smoke in the faculty parking lot all the time at her school and at every other school she's visited in the district.

She thinks holding the teacher accountable for how he acted; is exactly what you should do...he couldn't have fined you nor did he even have a right to tell you to put it out.

These are the toxins constantly coming out of a cars exhaust: Carbon Monoxide, Nitrogen dioxide, Sulphur dioxide, Suspended particles (PM-10 particles less than 10 microns in size), Benzene, Formaldehyde, Polycyclic hydrocarbons.

I don't think the OP was wanting to get into a debate about cigarettes; it is about how some lame guy thinking he's the cock of the walk, that thinks he can demand anything of anybody especially in their own car.



posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
People here, including the OP, persist in insisting their car is their own territory. That is not true. You've been told several times, and you are not paying attention. An American aircraft carrier is soverign American territory only when it is in international waters, not when it is within the territorial waters of another country. Being in your car does not give you special rights to do what you want.

You need to get over the idea that being in you car gives you rights.

The idea that smoking on school grounds is illegal or simply a "violation" of a school policy cannot be determined here. Just because you find it to be a policy issue in your school dostrict does not mean that applies to OP's school district. Many municipalities have passed ordnances that prevent smoking on school grounds. We've even had some of them posted here. That may or may not be the case here. We don't know.

Unless you know for sure for this place, why are you claiming otherwise?

If OP is so incensed, then perhaps she should take it to the authorities and make an official complaint, then see what happens. My guess is she will have her self-righteous rear handed to her on a platter.


edit on 3/31/2012 by schuyler because: (no reason given)



posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.



new topics

top topics



 
2
<< 1    3 >>

log in

join