It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Businesses face lawsuit fears as feds mandate 'service' horses be allowed in stores

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
A man who is a paraplegic uses a service animal.

The animal however is a horse !!

It seems some businesses denied access to the man with the horse.

He is suing on grounds of a Federal Mandate !

The business owners seem concerned about whether or not a horse can be "housebroken" !!

The services horses are a special breed of miniature horses and are close in size to dogs.

Published March 29, 2012

| FoxNews.com

A horse is a horse, of course.

That's why business owners are getting nervous about a new federal regulation requiring a particular breed of horse to be allowed into shops and restaurants across the country.

The Justice Department regulations were tailored for so-called "service" horses -- miniature horses that, like service dogs, accompany the blind and others with disabilities to help them get around.

But the rules were a lawsuit waiting to happen, according to critics. And sure enough, a suit was filed earlier this month in Los Angeles, by a man who uses a wheelchair and keeps a miniature horse named Princess -- and who claims a local GameStop and Marshalls refused him and his horse service.

"You cannot train a horse ... housebreak them like you would do with a dog," he said.

Powell said there are 200,000 miniature horses registered with the organization around the world, though it's unclear how many are used as service animals in the U.S.

Service Horse Lawsuit

Interesting story with a different twist to a "Mandate" !

The horses look cool just the same !

images of miniature guide horses

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Learn something new every day, I didn't know they used horses as guide animals, makes sense they are very smart.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
That's pretty cool, I had no idea there was seeing eye horses and I think they should be allowed in stores as they aren't much bigger than dogs. As long as they are trained to poop outside, clean up on isle 1, it shouldn't matter. Cool thread, thanks for sharing!

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Even though the horses are miniature, is there physically enough room for them in a Gamestop? All the Gamestops I've visited have been very small affairs, usually with so many people inside I get too nervous and have to leave.

Perhaps, for the potty training problem, they can fit the horses with a bag that would collect the droppings? I've seen these things on parade horses or horses drawing carriages. I would think such a device would work fine.

Never knew miniature horses were used as guides! Thanks for the info!

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Another step towards all small businesses being bankrupted from overbearing government regulation and bureaucracy.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
Even though the horses are miniature, is there physically enough room for them in a Gamestop? All the Gamestops I've visited have been very small affairs, usually with so many people inside I get too nervous and have to leave.

Perhaps, for the potty training problem, they can fit the horses with a bag that would collect the droppings? I've seen these things on parade horses or horses drawing carriages. I would think such a device would work fine.

Something like a diaper perhaps ?

I have seem diapers on guide dogs.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Fricken adorable too. My dog is bigger even

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen

Originally posted by smyleegrl

Something like a diaper perhaps ?

I have seem diapers on guide dogs.

Found one. Horse Diapers

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
If I ever lose my legs, I'm getting myself a service alligator.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

I love animals and enjoy seeing businesses that allow animals into their establishments (it warms my heart). Miniture service horses? Didn't even know there was such a thing, what a great idea! There is a local place here that serves beer and pizza and allows dogs to come in. Not just service dogs but pets also, I love it! There are doggie rules posted like no fighting or begging and everyone seems to get along famously.

In my opinion all places should accommodate service animals and well trained pets. It deffinitely makes for more friendly and interesting social interactions.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by navy_vet_stg3

haha You beat me to it. But, I personally I want a guide tiger and if my guide tiger is not allowed in the store I will sue. Also, if my guide tiger rips your face off, sorry to bad, because I can't be bothered to have two dogs to pull my wheelchair and one dog won't do it, so I need the guide tiger.

And yes, I know I am being facetious, but so is this lawsuit. We, can't just willy nilly start letting people have any animals they want trained or untrained, as guide animals. And, the fact is dogs are pretty strong, a larger dog breed could probably pull this person, and if not then he can have two dogs, just like a miniature dog sled team.

And another problem I have is, there are such things as motorized wheelchairs, so why does he need an animal to pull him in the wheelchair in the first place; guide animals were originally intended for people who can not see or hear, mainly so they don't get run over by cars. The idea that somehow guide animals should be turned into pack animals pulling people around is silly, especially in an age when we have the technology of motorized wheelchairs, hell, with the level of technology today, we already have coming in a year or so mechanized exo suits for paralyzed people, being produced by the ekso bionics company. The idea that this person needs a horse miniature or otherwise, is just abuse of the law and the system in my opinion and should be treated as such.
edit on 29-3-2012 by prisoneronashipoffools because: typo

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Service animals are kind of a ... not talked about joke where I live. When I first moved to the Portland area I was confused by the number of dogs, cats, even monkeys in stores. At first I just thought, wow, this city sure has a lot of disabled people.

Then one day I met a friend of mine at a bookstore/coffee shop .. walking with his dog. Wearing his green service animal vest. My friend is in no way disabled. That's when I learned that like maybe 1% of the service animals I see here are real service animals.. And sure enough at most pet stores you can by the service vests for nearly any animal .. though I give a thumbs up for those that train their cats to wear them and ride around on their shoulder. My cat would skin my alive, not that I'd want to walk around with a 25lb cat on my shoulder anyways.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Do we really need to saddle businesses with more rules?
I say neigh. It's time to rein in the craziness.

So call your local politician and ride him good!

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Will the Govt just GIVE IT UP ALREADY!?!?!?

Put the papers down, and take a HARD LOOK at whats really going on in this country.

THEN, THEN tell me you are still willing to go tell that already down and out buisness owner that is barely making it as it is, that he HAS TO DO WHAT THEY SAY IN HIS OWN STORE or get sued up the wahooo by some guy who brings in a miniature horse (who crap everywhere btw) because hes not fond of dogs or wheelchairs.

^%@%#^@%#&^%

ok done.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by prisoneronashipoffools

haha You beat me to it. But, I personally I want a guide tiger

Sorry! The Americans with Disabilities Act and the Code of Federal Regulations Title 28 parts 35 and 36 specify only two animals... dogs, and miniature horses. Your [alligator | tiger] don't qualify.

The idea that this person needs a horse miniature or otherwise, is just abuse of the law and the system in my opinion and should be treated as such

There are many reasons someone might use a miniature horse vs a dog. For example:

0) Some people are allergic and/or afraid of dogs. That includes disabled people, oddly.

1) Dogs shed 365 days per year, whereas horses only shed twice a year.

2) It costs the same to train a either dog or horse - between $10,000 to $20,000. A dog's useful service life is about 7 years, whereas a horse's service life is 20 to 25 years. It's much less costly to use a horse.

3) Dogs get fleas - horses do not.

4) Horses can support more weight than a dogs. For people getting in/out of a wheelchair, for example, you are less likely to hurt your $20,000 trained horse than your $20,000 trained dog.

5) Yes: a horse can be housebroken - no diaper required.

For more information, see guidehorse.com.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Oh they are so cute. My vet tried to convince me to get one years ago, promised he would make house calls even but we went for a dog instead.

I read the site they can be housebroken. That's amazing

Training

Housebreaking - Despite common belief, horses do possess bladder control, and many horses develop the habit of "going" only in a specific area. For excursions under 6 hours, the guide horse can be relied upon to maintain bladder control. Just as dog owners are required to utilize pooper-scoopers, Guide Horses on long excursions can be fitted with a plastic lined poo-bag that catches droppings and allows for easy disposal.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by MeGr8rThanU

Originally posted by prisoneronashipoffools

haha You beat me to it. But, I personally I want a guide tiger

Sorry! The Americans with Disabilities Act and the Code of Federal Regulations Title 28 parts 35 and 36 specify only two animals... dogs, and miniature horses. Your [alligator | tiger] don't qualify.

The idea that this person needs a horse miniature or otherwise, is just abuse of the law and the system in my opinion and should be treated as such

There are many reasons someone might use a miniature horse vs a dog. For example:

0) Some people are allergic and/or afraid of dogs. That includes disabled people, oddly.

1) Dogs shed 365 days per year, whereas horses only shed twice a year.

2) It costs the same to train a either dog or horse - between $10,000 to $20,000. A dog's useful service life is about 7 years, whereas a horse's service life is 20 to 25 years. It's much less costly to use a horse.

3) Dogs get fleas - horses do not.

4) Horses can support more weight than a dogs. For people getting in/out of a wheelchair, for example, you are less likely to hurt your $20,000 trained horse than your $20,000 trained dog.

5) Yes: a horse can be housebroken - no diaper required.

For more information, see guidehorse.com.

Not really going to debate the tiger thing, because like I said I was being facetious, thus wasn't being serious

0. valid point some people may be allergic to dogs

1. Shedding is an esthetic issue and since both animals shed, still will have to be dealt with by the owner.

2. An electric wheelchair costs far less then 10 to 20 k, lasts just as long and doesn't have upkeep costs like feeding, grooming and care, so I would say an electric wheelchair is far cheaper in the long run then a horse.

3. Irrelevant, since they make flea collars sprays and etc for people that own dogs and also because, though horses do not get fleas they do get a host of other nasty parasites; like internal bots, mites, ticks, and lice

4. An average miniature pony can carry more weight then an average dog, mainly because the average pony is bigger, though there are breeds of dogs that do get as big as a miniature pony and can carry just as much weight. But, really the argument is irrelevant both; in general, since we have electric wheelchairs and even lifts designed to get people in and out of them, so an animal to do that task is redundant, and it is irrelevant in this case, since the mans own lawyer only claimed he needed a horse to pull his wheelchair, not even to get him in and out of it.

5. Valid point , but irrelevant since a dog can be house trained as well, making a horse no more valuable then a dog.

So, in the end out of all your points only one even seems to be an argument for the necessity of horses and that is being allergic to dogs. Fair enough I will give you that, but since there was no mention of the man being allergic to dogs, just that he needed a horse to pull his wheelchair and we have mechanized wheelchairs and lifts, I don't really see where a horse is needed in this case. Still abuse of the system as far as I see and will still stand by that statement.

Anyway thanks for your time and response.

edit on 29-3-2012 by prisoneronashipoffools because: typos

edit on 29-3-2012 by prisoneronashipoffools because: correction

new topics

top topics

join