It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does Boiling Water Really Make It Safe To Drink?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
There are some pathogens that require 240 degrees for a complete kill to the DNA level. Hence, pressure canning, at 10 pounds for about 15 minutes.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by JAY1980

Thanks Jay, Did not the Romans also use lead in pewter. Probably not related to microbes etc but sure not good

I have read that prior to pasteurization and refrigeration people often stored milk and other liquids in copper pots

No copper pots, then put some pennies or bare copper wire in a glass vessel, but takes 2 hours to work.

I thought it strange that royalty ate and drank from silverware, nobility from copper/brass/bronze and peasants from wood or paraffin lines leather. It may well have not been totally the cost.

edit on 29-3-2012 by oghamxx because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Ive learned so much from these past comments. Nice to read intelligent comments and not ONE TROLL. I guess by looking at the signatures and avatars i can see why.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   
All suggestions are very good and on the spot .
I just want to add that you can filter with the char left over from a wood-fire that are not too powdery
I can't filter stress enough to filter, filter, filter.

I bought military approved purification tablets at a M&R Surplus Store. They sell 30 of them for $10.00
edit on 30-3-2012 by azureskys because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Wow. Lot's of very good advice. Learned a few new things, actually.....

Bottom line is if you are dying of dehydration, boiling water will help to remove the harmful stuff, and your body should pass the rest. As most said, it's safer, but in a life or death situation, it'd have to do.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I have boiled water out of a stream while backpacking and it has been fine. If necessary, you could use a piece of fabric, rinse it out in the stream, put sand and/or charcoal in to the sock, and filter water through it, then boil. It would be fine to drink.

If you have plastic bottles or open containers and time, water left in direct sunlight for several hours (six, I think) in any non-glass container will be purified by the UV sunlight. That would work if you cannot boil.

I've also consumed water directly out of springs, and never gotten sick.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by CaticusMaximus

You're good at this, I really can't add much

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaticusMaximus

Originally posted by Skewed

Originally posted by CaticusMaximus
reply to post by eyesontheskies

And obviously, boiling will not remove rock sediments, heavy metals, or any metals for that matter, motor oil contamination, etc.

And for these cases, distilling should clear the water of these pollutants, although I am not sure if distilling will take care of the heavy metals but it should for everything else.
edit on 29-3-2012 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

Absolutely, distill if you can. RO it if possible even for maximum filtration, but Im thinking out in the field it might be difficult to do either of those things.

However Ive read about portable filters that do something like RO slowly in a small container. Berkey filters or something; havnt looked into it though. But we have to remember those filters do wear out after usage.

ETA: Its depressing we even have to talk about something like this.... It makes me sad I cannot just go to some body of fresh water and drink, because Id probably be drinking used motor oil and mercury.
edit on 3/29/2012 by CaticusMaximus because: (no reason given)

why does everyone keep saying RO

what is RO?

this is very frustrating.

what if people die because they didn't know what RO meant (if the world ends and they need RO water? )
edit on 1-4-2012 by SoymilkAlaska because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by SoymilkAlaska

why does everyone keep saying RO

what is RO?

this is very frustrating.

what if people die because they didn't know what RO meant (if the world ends and they need RO water? )

Reverse osmosis. How do make such a filter, I haven't a clue without consulting ixquick.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
In a larger still to clean water you must run 3-4 times. The first 10-20% is vented to the atmosphere. Run and collect down to 30 %. Throw away the rest.do this first run till you have a couple of batches enough for a second and vent and discard as before. By the third time you should be approaching chemically clean water. It will be free of all contaminants the boil above and below the run temp. The run temp contaminants have been cut to 1/3 or 1/4 at 3-4 runs by volume.

or a quick one run distiller in the woods.....

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Boiling will sterilize it but it will be condensed and
have an even higher proportion of dissolved minerals,
chemicals, toxins and waste in it than before.

found this, it might work ? :

A simple kitchen stove distiller can be made by taking a very large pot with a lid with your water in it (about 1/3 to 1/2 full), floating an empty glass bowl in the water, then placing the large pot's lid UPSIDE DOWN on the top of the pot. Fill the lid with ice and then set the stove to slowly boil the water in the pot. What happens is that the water vapour travels round the floating glass bowl and condenses on the cold (ice filled) lid. As the lid (should be) is slightly rounded the condensed vapour will run down the underside of the lid and drip into the floating glass bowl. The glass bowl is the collector for your 'distilled' water. Points to note; The glass bowl should never touch the bottom of the pot or it will boil as well, and the lid should not be a perfect seal when upside down. For a purer result, discard the first 10ml in the bowl as this could contain impurities that boil below 100C i.e. first!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join