It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Interesting & Fun Test for You.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by RestlessNRG

Hi and thanks for playing

Not sure how MY brain works...Found it funny because I wasn't reading , and was only trying to count the f's. My Brain must have a mind of its own lol...

The way it processes /interprets info is truly remarkable. Maybe the auto neural pathways kick in and do all the bypassing of the ''of' F's.

Appreciate everyone's input as to how this process works. All you geniuses out there should be able to explain it more in layman's terms so as we can better understand this

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekerLou

1 "F". It's obvious. By the way, I didn't even look at the rest of the thread, so don't bother accusing me.

Going back to see how I did.

EDIT: Derp. I'm used to smart arses going, "How many 'o's are in the word coroner?" and then saying the phrase "The word coroner" has 3 'o's, instead of the two I so brilliantly pointed out.

Sometimes, I just think too bloody much.
edit on CFridaypm020247f47America/Chicago30 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

couldn't help but to lol. at your cute response
These dang things trip me up and get me about every time! so don't feel badly , it's happened to a LOT of us here even at ATS

lmbo Goes to show , we need to be more on our toes ...
and sometimes things just aren't what they seem or appear.
And we alllll know this, don't we?

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   

6 ...the eye scims over the word 'oF'.

edit on 30-3-2012 by IAMTAT because: SPELLING

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by IAMTAT

Yeah, the funny thing is I wasn't reading ... still my brain skipped the f's of OF lmao.

Great job if you got all 6!
Another genius in the house.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Even though it is entertaining, I don't believe it actually shows anything more that your style of reading. If you are a word-by-word reader, i.e. a slow reader, you will see all the F's. If you are a speed-reader, you don't read words, your mind takes a picture of everything at once, and as you turn the page, your mind interprets everything you have read. (OK, I exaggerate a bit, but that is the essence). If you read 400++ words a minute, you will skip the unimportant words, but if you struggle with reading, you read every word, and therefore you will see the rest of the F's that the fast readers skip.

It has nothing to do with intelligence, just with reading style. Some articles I can read extremely fast (600+ words a minute), but when I have to read maths, chemistry, and physics, I have to slow right down, as each word becomes important.

Some people never learn to do speedreading, and they will never enjoy the love of books. Only when you have mastered the concept of speed-reading, can you read 1000's of books in your lifetime (and enjoy them) and will die the day you can't find anything to read.
edit on 30/3/2012 by Hellhound604 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellhound604

Thank you Hellhound ..
How true. This has nothing to do with intelligence. It's all a matter of how our brains gather and process info.

Thought it fun to see how people would react when hearing the correct answer !
A learning experience about how our brains can trick us eh?

Yes, and what would we do without our books!? Haven't learned speed reading ..maybe my brain is on auto pilot though and does this on its own. Anyway, this type stuff never fails to fascinate me.

Appreciate your input!

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   

I could never understand why not all people could speedread. Heck, it tires my mind more to read 10 pages of an academic article, which I have to read word-by-word, than what it does when I read a 1000 pages book. No wonder so many people never enjoy books. I remember more than 40 years ago, when I was in school, that a teacher once told me that I was lying, that no person could read that fast.... I guess she never mastered that skill.

Of course, as I continued with my studies, I had to learn the skill of slow-reading too, but it doesn't come naturally to me. When you speed-read you grasp the essence of everything, and you can relate that, but I can never tell you the finest details. When you slow-read, you remember the finest details, but that is so damn boring ......

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by emberscott
Here is some more fun to add to this thread. It is a right/left brain game. The fun part is to make it switch directions as you choose. If you only make it stutter keep trying you can do it.

normally, when I am totally sober, I can switch this girl by just blinking, however, when I've had one or 2 beers, I find that she just keeps rotating clockwise, then my blinking method doesn't work anymore. No matter how much I try, I can't make her turn anticlockwise.

hmmmm...... I can see a PhD-thesis in that one

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Only on a quick minute. Whoever posted that ballerina girl. Appreciate ya.
That was pretty wild. Thanks!
What an illusion! I was able to work that baby both ways. Wow.

Hell..yeah, beer tends to do that lol.
Skimming over the reading the same as speed? if so, I guess you could say I do that but then when I come to something interesting, I will slow down enough to comprehend . If speed reading is this, then yes, I can speed read. Actually on tv, had seen some real speed readers... they were pretty awesome -amazed me....So , maybe I'm half a speed reader or one quarter

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
here is one , how many squares are there ?

YMMV

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Speed reading for me was never a learnt skill, it was innate. Only after I left school, did I get to understand that there was something called "speed reading". When I applied some of the speed-reading techniques, my reading speed almost doubled (but I comprehended the same). It is all about training your brain.

Some people are sport-freaks, they continually try to force their bodies to become better, faster, stronger. For me, a body is just a thing to carry and feed my brain. (was it Edison that said that?). I continually try to force my brain to become better (but at 40+++ you will find it becomes more of a challenge). That is why I never stopped studying.

edit on 30/3/2012 by Hellhound604 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellhound604

Speed reading for me was never a learnt skill, it was innate. Only after I left school, did I get to understand that there was something called "speed reading". When I applied some of the speed-reading techniques, my reading speed almost doubled (but I comprehended the same). It is all about training your brain.

Cool... pretty awesome HB! ..how I'd love to train my brain more!

Some people are sport-freaks, they continually try to force their bodies to become better, faster, stronger. For me, a body is just a thing to carry and feed my brain. (was it Edison that said that?). I continually try to force my brain to become better (but at 40+++ you will find it becomes more of a challenge). That is why I never stopped studying.

Try 50+lol...kind of rushing but will be back.
Thanks for the reply HB. Need to run for now.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I got three, no matter how many times I looked at it.

Interesting enough I had my 5 year old look at it and she got 6. I guess she hasn't learned to recognize "of".

Cool how the brain works. I totally missed it and I consider myself fairly bright lol.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sippy Cup

I got 3…..
Funny thing is I didn’t read the words I just scanned the words for the letter f, while most will read the words maybe.

Edit:
funny I missed the F in "OF" now that was cool.

edit on 29-3-2012 by Sippy Cup because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-3-2012 by Sippy Cup because: (no reason given)

I did the same, i thought i was being clever looking just for the f's, i only got 3, however, my 13 year old daughter, got 6 on the first go.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by minettejo
I got three, no matter how many times I looked at it.

Interesting enough I had my 5 year old look at it and she got 6. I guess she hasn't learned to recognize "of".

Cool how the brain works. I totally missed it and I consider myself fairly bright lol.

even if I go back right now, I battle to find more than 3. What makes it easier for me, is the way the sentences are split. If it was split at the end of words, I would never, ever find the missing F's

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Regenmacher

Yeah, i find it really odd. I am using Safari. It would seem that it would not exclude the ascii character for an 'f", just because it follows an "o". Instead of artificial intelligence, it seems the search algorithm is plagued by artificial human like perception. Artificial Moronity?

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellhound604

When I was elementary my teachers didn't beleive me that I have read the texts in such a short time,I was so frustrated.Like you I read very fast in my native language (Macedonian),English and I just began learning German.Like you said some people are born athletes and some people are born I don't know what to call it,learners maybe.I consider myself the latter.And at the moment I work on getting two university degrees,and I just enjoy the competition and reading more than anything else.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
I got 6. I used my spell checking trick and just read it backwards.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Awaiting the answer to the squares now lol. Hope ignorant ape doesn't leave us hanging on that ..
Will u2u if he forgets.

Appreciate all the replies you guys /gals.

ETA: We all learn differently. Some are definitely more gifted than others. You guys had all the luck in that area . I guess too that it depends on how much we desire to learn or want to know. But I most certainly crave learning now more than ever: It seems I can't fill my brain enough ..Now, if I could only reTAIN and comprehend all that I read, now that would be grand! But Hey, maybe not too long from now, we'll be able to download data to it.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join