It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Interesting & Fun Test for You.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekerLou

The first time I counted, I got 5, because I missed the first "of". Though, when I counted it again, I got 6.
Does that make me 2/3 genius?

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by cantsee4looking

Nope. Cause there are 6 of them, not 5.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
The first time I did the F counting I got 5, then after doing it again I got 6. How in earth does anyone get 3?

link   
I got 6 too. First I got 4, then retried. What's the point?

link   
it's interesting to see how many people actually miss the "of".
i thought it would be alot less but i guess our minds often work in the same way no matter what education or observational skills you have.
good thread s+f for getting me interested in the results.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeekerLou
Hi everyone,

Thought it would be fun and interesting to share this test with you that I received in an email. I am always fascinated when it comes to the subject of our brains.. for we have so much to learn about them.

Was wondering if anyone could please explain how this brain process may actually work and the reason why

When you read the text, the "of" sounds as v....hence your brain doesn't register it as the letter f.

Interestingly, when you read a word, you don't actually notice every individual letter. I'm sure you've seen the paragraphs written completely without vowels...for most people they are still readily legible.

Hope that helps!

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   

How come our brain cannot process the f in of?

because if your brain processed every bit of information equally, your head would explode. The human brain is amazing at removing useless or tertiary information.

I watched a docu that talked about how when you are looking at something, your brain is only really paying attention to the small around 10% field of vision, the rest is kinda background noise, it gets cancelled out, basically think of it as a lower framerate, as well, your brain is adept at "tweening" an animation term that basically describes taking one still image, and another different still image, and creating the in between frame.

There is a test that goes around a lot on facebook where the paragraph appears to be completely random characters. In fact, the words only have a few letters in the right places, but since your brain is trained at filling crap in for you, it knows the word even though it's spelled with random gibberish.

We encounter so much information daily that our brains found a way to weed out the unneeded information. This is why a world like "of" doesn't get processed without actually thinking about processing it. In fact, next time you are reading try reading aloud in your head, you might be surprised at how many words you simply skip over.

lol forgot:

i answered 4 until I caught on.
edit on 29-3-2012 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Yeah...very interesting results here .

Thanks everyone!

I missed all of the ''ofs'', did not read the words and was only trying to count . lol
How in the world I missed those boogers , I haven't a clue. Maybe trying too fast , I don't know,
but I tried twice with same results.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   

That's interesting. I missed all of the f's in "of" even though I know better. Reminds me of this time in 2nd grade we had a spelling test and I could not remember how to spell "of".

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Baron01

edit on 29-3-2012 by Sippy Cup because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Sippy Cup

I feel dumb now.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Reminded me of this

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.

French:
Sleon une édtue de l'Uvinertisé de Cmabrigde, l'odrre des ltteers dnas un mtos n'a pas d'ipmrotncae, la suele coshe ipmrotnate est que la pmeirère et la drenèire soit à la bnnoe pclae. Le rsete peut êrte dnas un dsérorde ttoal et vuos puoevz tujoruos lrie snas porlblème. C'est prace que le creaveu hmauin ne lit pas chuaqe ltetre elle-mmêe, mias le mot cmome un tuot.

Portuguese:

De aorcdo com uma pqsieusa de uma uinrvesriddae ignlsea, não ipomtra em qaul odrem as lrteas de uma plravaa etãso, a úncia csioa iprotmatne é que a piremria e útmlia lrteas etejasm no lgaur crteo. O rseto pdoe ser uma ttaol bçguana que vcoê pdoe anida ler sem pobrlmea. Itso é poqrue nós não lmeos cdaa lrtea isladoa, mas a plravaa cmoo um tdoo.

www.languagehat.com...
edit on 29-3-2012 by SeekerLou because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
six

Doh, i should've read the rest of the thread

edit on 29-3-2012 by MissConstrood because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   

ha ha ha I got three twice thats good going to try it at work

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   

looked the first time, saw 3,
looked the second time, saw 4,
looked a third time, saw 6

seemed i wasn't counting the f's in the word "of"
i'm sure i'm missing a couple more.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters
I watched a docu that talked about how when you are looking at something, your brain is only really paying attention to the small around 10% field of vision, the rest is kinda background noise, it gets cancelled out, basically think of it as a lower framerate, as well, your brain is adept at "tweening" an animation term that basically describes taking one still image, and another different still image, and creating the in between frame.

Yes we only really process the central part of our vision. The image of the rest we think we see is constructed by the brain from fast eye movements (saccades and micro-saccades). I believe we have motion detection neurons in the non attention area however. I guess that your state of mind affects what your brain fills in in your peripheral vision, leading to people seeing things that aren't really there. You can often see actors eyes darting all over the place in close up shots.

Anyone that has had a migraine which produced tunnel vision will be aware what it is like when the brain doesn't fill in the whole visual image properly for you.

I only counted 3

edit on 29-3-2012 by EasyPleaseMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by WickettheRabbit

Mother of Dios. I feel so dumb.

Thanks for making me feel dumb, OP. You owe me an apology.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   

counted four, I think I get it though

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
someones gonna have to explain how theres six F's, there's only 4. You people are insane.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join