It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dysgraphia, The deficiency you need to know!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I am here to bring awareness to all and the lack of general knowledge called "Dysgraphia"

ump to: navigation, search Look up dysgraphia in Wiktionary, the free dictionary. Dysgraphia Classification and external resources ICD-10 F81.1, R48.8 ICD-9 315.2, 784.61, 784.69 MeSH D000381 Dysgraphia is a deficiency in the ability to write primarily in terms of handwriting, but also in terms of coherence.[1] It occurs regardless of the ability to read and is not due to intellectual impairment.[2] Dysgraphia is a transcription disability, meaning that it is a writing disorder associated with impaired handwriting, orthographic coding (orthography, the storing process of written words and processing the letters in those words), and finger sequencing (the movement of muscles required to write).[2] It often overlaps with other learning disabilities such as speech impairment, attention deficit disorder, or developmental coordination disorder.[3] In the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-IV), dysgraphia is characterized as a learning disability in the category of written expression when one’s writing skills are below those expected given a person’s age measured through intelligence and age appropriate education. The DSM is not clear in whether or not writing refers only to the motor skills involved in writing, or if it also includes orthographic skills and spelling.[3] The word dysgraphia comes from the Latin words dys meaning "impaired" and graphia meaning "making letter forms by hand".[2]
en.wikipedia.org...

The symptoms to dysgraphia are often overlooked or attributed to the student being lazy, unmotivated, not caring, or having delayed visual-motor processing. In order to be diagnosed with dysgraphia, one must have a cluster, but not necessarily all, of the following symptoms: [2] * Cramping of fingers while writing short entries * Odd wrist, arm, body, or paper orientations such as creating an L shape with your arm * Excessive erasures * Mixed upper case and lower case letters * Inconsistent form and size of letters, or unfinished letters * Misuse of lines and margins * Inefficient speed of copying * Inattentiveness over details when writing * Frequent need of verbal cues * Referring heavily on vision to write * Poor legibility * Handwriting abilities that may interfere with spelling and written composition * Having a hard time translating ideas to writing, sometimes using the wrong words altogether * May feel pain while writing[2]

I am diagnosed dysraphic. A title that many may not know? Why is that? People may have a pre judgment that those who cannot write well, just plain cannot write well and therefore is miss diagnosed to those who have this impairments. It is also an issue with those who have the disability.

This disability has nothing to do with intellectual impairment. But as a whole this impairment cannot be readily helped, assist to correct, or completely get rid of. Other aspects of symptoms may involve Adhd, ( I have that), A.d,d, .

This disability is often confused with dyslexia to those who are uninformed as well. Also, basic grammar and spelling issues may be related to the disability, but I cannot speak for myself because I have been getting A's in college level courses and currently working on an English major .
What challenges are there in life? Many! Growing up in Michigan trying to create a perfect job application is a very daunting task. Getting help (from family members) is depressing to the point of not even requesting their assistance due to... Male pride? Int he end I have acquired the skills to be a typist since the age of 9.

My keyboard is also not working properly as well, half of it is not working and therefore poopy typing. No delete button

edit on 29-3-2012 by Jordan River because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I've had several students with dysgraphia.

Usually we try to teach them how to type as soon as possible, You're right, it is the most effective way to get legible writing.

Dysgraphia is a difficult and potentially embarassing issue, sounds like you are handling it well. As for the idea that have a learning disability of any type (and there are far more than most people know) affects intelligence, again you are correct.

Good work bringing this to light, and good luck with your journey.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Thats "currently working on AN english major.....
Just kiddin...i think im prone to this too....specially cramps on hands etc....
Ill have to look into it............thanks
.........s

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl

Usually we try to teach them how to type as soon as possible, You're right, it is the most effective way to get legible writing.

Dysgraphia is a difficult and potentially embarassing issue, sounds like you are handling it well. As for the idea that have a learning disability of any type (and there are far more than most people know) affects intelligence, again you are correct.

Yeah I am going into teaching as well.. God speed indeed

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by stirling
Thats "currently working on AN english major.....
Just kiddin...i think im prone to this too....specially cramps on hands etc....
Ill have to look into it............thanks
.........s

ats is not essay worthy to me, most of the time.
its teh intreten

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Everyone loves to be diagnosed with something! I think you may understand your problem from this comic:

theoatmeal.com...

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jordan River

Originally posted by smyleegrl

Yeah I am going into teaching as well.. God speed indeed

Teaching is.....well, so many adjectives fit its hard to pick just one.

The cool thing about your situation is that you'll be far more aware and understanding with students who have dysgraphia or even other problems. Win-win for your students!

God speed indeed.....

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Oh my god! Theres something I am not good at! QUICK! Make up a disease, deficiency or disorder to explain it!
Because I cant just suck at something! It has to be a condition!

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by needlenight
Oh my god! Theres something I am not good at! QUICK! Make up a disease, deficiency or disorder to explain it!

I believe organization and categorizing is helpful and harmful at the same time

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   

I believe organization and categorizing is helpful and harmful at the same time

When it is done the way and in the amount that it's being done now. It is harmful, just harmful.
People are getting used to believing that just because they are not good at something, it has to be a "disease".
People need to accept that we all suck at one thing, while we are good at another. That is the beauty of our numbers, we can back each others weaknesses up, while using our strengths to back others up.

But by doing what we are doing now, we are removing the option of percieving it that way, which is harmful, and nothing else but harmful.

edit: I hate the human kind for what we have become.
edit on 29-3-2012 by needlenight because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   

When it is done the way and in the amount that it's being done now. It is harmful, just harmful.
People are getting used to believing that just because they are not good at something, it has to be a "disease".
People need to accept that we all suck at one thing, while we are good at another. That is the beauty of our numbers, we can back each others weaknesses up, while using our strengths to back others up.

But by doing what we are doing now, we are removing the option of percieving it that way, which is harmful, and nothing else but harmful.

Its the organization of mankind of naming everything, started in eden. It has become a disease of doing so. in the end that is not the subject I am here to discuss, but showing awareness of this type of disablity. Because dyslexia, asperigers and autism has received all the attention, although more serious... , but hate burns like wildfire, that is the issue at hand

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Its the organization of mankind of naming everything, started in eden. It has become a disease of doing so. in the end that is not the subject I am here to discuss, but showing awareness of this type of disablity. Because dyslexia, asperigers and autism has received all the attention, although more serious... , but hate burns like wildfire, that is the issue at hand

Of course. I apologise for directing your thread onto another route.
Here have a free bump from me and get back on topic.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Thankyou for writing this, as I believe my 13 year daughter has this.

I have no idea how I can get her diagnosed, as I am homeschooling her and the LEA inspector has said her reading and handwriting is well behind her age.
Her mental maths is almost better than me and is very fast. Her visual skills are very high but as you know, all local education officers care about is, the written word.
She is not lazy or stupid but I am worried that she is going to get those labels, and not the help she needs.

Dyslexia runs in our family, I do have it but I have a list of rules that makes my abilites look like everyone elses.

Do you have any tips I can pass on to my kid?

Thanks for posting this.

edit on 29/3/12 by AriesJedi because: coherence

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by AriesJedi
Thankyou for writing this, as I believe my 13 year daughter has this.

I have no idea how I can get her diagnosed, as I am homeschooling her and the LEA inspector has said her reading and handwriting is well behind her age.
Her mental maths is almost better than me and is very fast. Her visual skills are very high but as you know, all local education officers care about is, the written word.
She is not lazy or stupid but I am worried that she is going to get those labels, and not the help she needs.

Dyslexia runs in our family, I do have it but I have a list of rules that makes my abilites look like everyone elses.

Do you have any tips I can pass on to my kid?

Thanks for posting this.

edit on 29/3/12 by AriesJedi because: coherence

There is special designed paper that will help her write better. It is perferated within the lines, so she is force to stay within the lines on the paper. Which still doesn't relaly help solve the issue.

Most schools have some sort of Resource room (special education) which may help her gain more knowledge and boost her reading skills after 1-3 years. But I would recommend taking the child out of the resource room after her skills are at the required level of proficiency

Create a IEP (individualized educational program
en.wikipedia.org...

jenniferwagaman.suite101.com... occupational therapist may be the best way to start. Also, make sure the child is not dyslexic i am sure you would know by now if she wasn't

If all else fails
Get her on the computer and type away.

Long road ahead. but try to get it done as soon as possible

Good LUCK!!!!

top topics

join