It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraq War veteran attacked at concert

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Link

Decorated Soldier Reportedly Attacked At Concert
Barton Cannot Return To Iraq Due To Injuries

POSTED: 5:54 pm EDT September 20, 2004
UPDATED: 10:15 am EDT September 21, 2004
COLUMBUS, Ohio -- A local soldier back from the war in Iraq said he was beaten at an area concert because of what was printed on his T-shirt, NBC 4's Nancy Burton reported.

Foster Barton, 19, of Grove City, received a Purple Heart for his military service in Iraq. He almost lost his leg last month after a Humvee he was riding in ran over a landmine.

Barton said he was injured again Friday night in a crowded parking lot as he was leaving the Toby Keith concert at Germain Amphitheatre. The solider was injured so badly that he can't go back to Iraq as scheduled.

"I don't remember getting hit at all, really," said Barton, a member of the 1st Calvary Division. "He hit me in the back of the head. I fell and hit the ground. I was knocked unconscious and he continued to punch and kick me on the ground."

Barton and his family said he was beat up because he was wearing an Iraqi freedom T-shirt.

"It's not our fault," Barton said. "I'm just doing a job."

According to a Columbus police report, six witnesses who didn't know Barton said the person who beat him up was screaming profanities and making crude remarks about U.S. soldiers, Burton reported.

One witness, a friend of the alleged attacker, said Barton hit first. Police said they do not think that witness is credible since the six other witnesses said Barton was hit from behind.

Barton's mother said she has a message for her son's alleged attacker, who police said ran into the crowd after the incident and was not arrested.

"He needs our prayers, just like the insurgents, because he's a coward," Cindy Barton said.

After a two-week leave, Barton was supposed to return to Iraq Tuesday. But his broken nose will delay his return.

Barton is waiting for doctors to tell him when he can return to active duty. He said wants to go back as soon as possible because his unit was just attacked. Eleven soldiers were wounded and two were killed, he said.

Copyright 2004 by nbc4i.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

It's one thing to maybe confront somebody about fighting in a war you think is unjust. But attacking someone from behind is just inexusable. The politics in this country are starting to really irritate me.

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Attacking a man that almost loss his leg from behind how brave of this guy. If I saw something like that there no way I wouldnt get involved.

"I was knocked unconscious and he continued to punch and kick me on the ground."

Yeah I dont care who you are you do something like that to a soldier or anybody. your going to have one more person to deal with if im there when something like that happens.

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
Attacking a man that almost loss his leg from behind how brave of this guy. If I saw something like that there no way I wouldnt get involved.

"I was knocked unconscious and he continued to punch and kick me on the ground."

Yeah I dont care who you are you do something like that to a soldier or anybody. your going to have one more person to deal with if im there when something like that happens.

As I read the article, I got the feeling the guy was there to pick a fight with anybody. I find it highly unlikely that some that rabidly anti-war would have gone to a Toby Keith concert for the music

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 06:16 PM
link   
goddam neaderthol... whats worse is noody stepped in.. I am disgusted with the man for attacking someone because of:

1) what they had written on a T-shirt (SO GODDAM WHAT IT IS JUST A T-SHIRT!!!)
2) ATTACKING SOMEONE WHO IS OBVIOUSLY DISABLED

I hope that the person who did this is embarressed... I hope they get to read this thread....

I hope I get to hear them bragging in person...

I hope I get a chance to smack the MOFO with a taste of pure agression face to face cos if II took him whilst his back was turned, I would be doing 7-10 in the pen!!!!!!

FO REAL !!!!!

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Esoterica

As I read the article, I got the feeling the guy was there to pick a fight with anybody. I find it highly unlikely that some that rabidly anti-war would have gone to a Toby Keith concert for the music

Yeah I thought it happening at a Toby Keith concert was strange to say the least. Those are not exactly known for their anti-war protest.

This could have been just a case of a drunk redneck looking for any reason to fight. Not that Toby fans are rednecks but I cant standing attacking anyone from behind and a disabled man at that. And then to keep on attacking a man after he is unconscious can't be justified.

If I was there during this I dont think I would have known this guy was even a soldier. But I couldnt just stand by and watch something like that

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 07:22 PM
link   
lookit what politics are doing. This is just sad, even for me.

Did we miss the possibility that the attacker was a speed freak or drunk or something?

DE

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 07:29 PM
link   
This person is obviously a coward, in or out of wartime, to attack someone who is disabled. People like that should be publicly flogged for cowardice and stupidity.

I couldn't stand there and do nothing if I saw something like that. That guy would have had someone other than a downed disabled vet to deal with.

regards

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 08:10 PM
link   

I agree. If I see someone hit from behind, then kicked while uncoincious on the ground, I would beat the living # out of that person. It would be the last time he would try that, i'll tell you that much.

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 08:18 PM
link   
That literally makes my heart hurt. I hope that coward rots in jail for a long time. I wish the article would have gone into more detail about the fate of the attacker. I want to hear what he has to say for himself. Unbelievable.

Jemison

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 08:19 PM
link   
That literally makes my heart hurt. I hope that coward rots in jail for a long time. I wish the article would have gone into more detail about the fate of the attacker. I want to hear what he has to say for himself. Unbelievable.

Jemison

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Don't know how that happened! Sorry for the double post
Jemison

[edit on 23-9-2004 by Jemison]

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Seems to me that sucker punching someone and then beating them while they are unconscious to protest a war is somewhat hypocritical. By that same token, I can't say it surprises me much.

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 08:35 PM
link   
It amazes me that people protest a war with violence. Just absolutely ignorant to me.
And cowardly to attack from behind. I cannot expresss the words I am thinking about this

As for it happening at a Toby Keith concert:
the guy was either looking for trouble and/or under the influence.
Neither of which explain his behavior.

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Esoterica

Yeah I thought it happening at a Toby Keith concert was strange to say the least. Those are not exactly known for their anti-war protest.

Yeah this is just weird. I'd have to think it was someone who wasn't actually at the concert. Perhaps someone looking for trouble, who was down there looking to make his statement. That's a damned cowardly way of doing it though.

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Truly disgraceful. I feel for the guy. It suprises me that he got attacked at a Toby Keith concert though, you would think a protest shirt would have gotten him attacked, not an Iraqi Freedom shirt.

Strange that so many people feel the need to blame the soldiers fighting over there just because they disagree with Bush policies. They have no choice in what they have to do just as the Vietnam veterans didn't when they were getting spit on and called baby killers in the late 60's.

I would think that this is an isolated case though. I haven't read too many opinions stating any aggression towards the soldiers involved. Only support from both sides of thought on this endeavor, as well it should be.

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Hit from behind, wow i cant imagine how much courage that must have taken. And kicking this young Soldier when he was on the ground as well? He must have really dug deep inside himself to get the balls to do that. *Sarcasm*
People like that make me sick, if you are going to have a pop at someone at least have the courage to do it when he hasnt got his back to you. The fact is that the bozo who did this prob knew he would get his arse kicked by a fit, trained Soldier if he tried to hit him when he was looking so he thought it would be a good idea to hit him when his back was turned.

Scum, pure scum as simple as that.

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Disgusting. As previous members have said - if this had happened in front of me I'd give this cowardly mofo a taste of his own medicine. I'd like to know what his mofo's friend thought of this and why he tried to defend him ?

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 09:49 PM
link   
You know I've been thinking about this and all the people that say they'd jump in and help, I would be one of them, but it didn't happen. I think that's a good thing. We are reading and we could reflect on what we would do. The fact that it didn't happen means that we are still human and can be shocked by something so outrageous. You just can't believe your eyes.

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Fair enough, but I can say, personally, I know I would have at least broken it up. I've done it before with guys I would bet my life are tougher then this punk.

To hit someone from behind, then beat them while they can't even defend themselves is just plain pathetic. It would have taken every once of self control I have not to beat the hell out of that POS.

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 12:02 AM
link   
The way things are in this country, the attacker will be slapped on the wrist, the soldier will be reprimanded for provoking the incident and nothing else will ever be said about it. If any of the witnesses had helped the soldier, they would have been charged with a crime(assault) and given a prison term. Damned if you do and damned if you don't! JMO

[edit on 24/9/04 by Intelearthling]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join