Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Thailand government bans MMA

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   
You want to see exciting MMA fights? Look for the light weight striker vs striker, or grappler vs grappler. Insane paced fights usually, those are my favorite.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   
i didnt read all 9 pages of this and i dont need to to know that a majority of people here dont know what they are talking about.

they ban mma for being to brutal.. but some moves in muay thai are illegal in mma and the ufc for being to harmful. you can say its a cultural thing all you want but if you break it down to what it really counts.. its about money. ever heard of buakaw? he is the worlds greatest muay thai fighter and he has gone on record to say he only makes about 200$ to fight and he is THE BEST. wanna know what happens to the other 15,000$? it goes to the people who handle him. they have multiple large houses while he lives in a room with a couple other fighters.

and lol @ the guy who said street fighter vs mma fighter for charity. a 135er would run circles around you

mma and the ufc are going to take over the combat sports world. there is already proof of this
edit on 30-3-2012 by Bonkrh because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by daaskapital

Thailand government bans MMA

www.fighterso nlymag.com

The Thai sports ministry ruled this week that MMA is “too brutal” and it is henceforth prohibited to stage MMA events in the South-East Asian country.

Ministers said that mixed martial arts is “causing erosion” to the sport of Muay Thai and “damaging the image” of Thailand’s native martial art.
(visit the link for the full news article)

normally i would say WOW totally unfair, but i know how important muay thai is to them, so for this one, i say-

Good for them.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Bonkrh

Did you know that Buakaw now has his own gym?

Named Banchamek Gym, after his last name:

fightsportasia.com...

I am glad that he has ceased connections with Por. Pramuk, now he can have a fresh start.
edit on 30-3-2012 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by BASSPLYR
Now if america could just ban all the hyped up affliction clothing and the dips that wear em walking around thinking they are capable fighters because they go to the local buffet style MMA school and dabble a few times a week in jujitsu. training to fight in a ring for sport is nowhere near training for combat. you fight like you train and I know a bunch of MMAer s will come on here saying that oh well we could fight in the streets too. sure you are shown modifications of the sport moves that should work in a street fight but you don't reflex train the combative side of it. if they did it would reflect in their ring fighting which would be much much more brutal than it already is.

My opinion is if they guy has a bunch of culiflowered ears he's spent too much time letting others mash his head in while grappling. Most pros don't have culiflowered ears because they don't let the opponent hit them. they do the hitting because their striking and angling skills are superior to an MMAer. there is a reason the military doesn't train their SF who will be doing a lot more close quarters combat MMA. the basic military learns some jujitsu but most experts agree that the fighting style taught in WW2 (simple combatives) is still better than the grabbing at straws approach they are doing these days. Every few years it seems like the military teaches officially some other martial art. but the hardcore SF guys learn mostly combatives and Jeet Kun DO based techniques. and even though Jeet Jun Do was originally influenced by wing chun boxing some shoot wrestling and fencing theory most of what is taught in Jeet Jun Do that actually works is the excrima/kali/ silat influence. most serious guys that need to fight for real in combat usually learn stuff that comes from those three southern asian arts because they really work. these MMAers are just jumping on a miopic bandwagon and don't have any clue how real combat and violence goes down.

Here's another opinion equal to yours: YOU should be banned on grounds that I dont like you.

You have absolutely NO clue on how cauliflower ear happens, do you? It is caused by cumulative or a single massive friction. It is a giant bloody blister, to put it objectively. It can happen while drilling techniques, by being headbutted during in-fighting, escaping a submission (guillotine, pillow or triangle choke), can also be caused while you are holding dominant position or applying a submission such as the pillow choke by using your head as well as other limbs, to apply pressure.

You have NO clue.

You have no clue on the amount of work, dedication and discipline it takes to hit the mat day after day, to study others' style and shape your own. There is ample history and tradition within mma and bjj camps. Some have a zen-like approach, others a more laid back brazilian attitude or even a more americanized arrogant "extreme" one. All respected between camps since all are motivators for the individual fighter to perfect himself and finally lay it all on the line. There is sportsmanship and true budo (look it up) respect between warriors that KNOW what their opponent has endured through years of training to be able to step on the mat and truly challenge you.
You may scoff at this since to you, mma Fighters fight exactly the same and probably learn from playing Streetfighter 2 on their playstation.

You see, not all bjj or mma fighters fight the same. This is where educating yourself comes into play.

The basic positions may be the same such as:

Ground: mount, high mount, side mount, north south, knee on stomach, scarf hold, reverse scarf hold, half guard, deep half guard, closed guard, high guard, rubber guard, inverted guard, open guard, spider guard, loop guard, fifty-fifty guard, de la riva guard, reverse de la riva, etc.

Punching: Jab, cross, hook, uppercut, back fist, spinning back fist, overhand, superman punch, etc.

Kicking: front, side, roundhouse, axe, spinning, crescent, jumping, etc.

Takedowns: double leg, single leg, shoulder throw, hip throw, tai otoshi, tomoe nage, inside and outside leg reaping, fireman's carry, etc.

Then comes making YOUR OWN style crafted from the above (plus etceteras) to suit your body type/aggression/strength/flexibility/whatever and studying other's style and picking them apart to perfect your own.

We're not even touching the subject of strict, healthy dieting and recuperation time from injuries and over training.

The whole purpose of MMA was to incorporate any and all from traditional styles to create a SCIENTIFIC, no BS approach to what works not just go by heresay or be swayed by mythologies such as "deadly ancient masters" or their modern followers that do not even spar because their woo woo style is just too "TEH DEADLY".

LEARN before you talk out of your hind quarters!

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

they are right when i was stationed in thailand many moons ago the tournament was horrible and bloody. i congrat the thai govt

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 05:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Snoopy1978

Well said! I pulled him up on his cauliflower ears sentence
too. He clearly has no clue
Most of the people being negative
about mma on this thread dont watch mma. That much is clear
after you read a couple of posts

Once mma fans start posting more on this thread, this thread
will die because the haters cant back up all the bs they are saying
about mma.

Haters have even pisted bs about bruce lee, which i replied too,
and they ignored!

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 06:22 AM
link   
reply to post by galadofwarthethird

you are right eveyone talks tough until they are in the ring

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Bonkrh

and lol @ the guy who said street fighter vs mma fighter for charity. a 135er would run circles around you

A 135er would run circles around me, but that is about all they could do. That isn't enough beef to inflict any damage on someone 100lbs heavier.

I've really enjoyed this thread, and I've gotten a lot of PM's that I appreciate as well. I know my opinions on MMA/UFC aren't popular and are easy to criticize, and its possible I'm wrong, but I'm going to explore it anyway. Last night I did enough research to see that there are plenty of fighters my age and older still being competitive, and I was able to talk to some people that are trained in the styles I have been criticizing, and I will be getting some practical experience in those styles over the next couple of weeks.

If the folks that have offered to help can come through even a little bit, and if the folks I know don't rip me a new one and scare me away, I will be putting up a thread to track my training and track the event planning, and see where it can lead!

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Let me know when it's up mate

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Maybe do some research on bruce lee too, before you disrespect
him with hater BS!

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jay-morris

Maybe do some research on bruce lee too, before you disrespect
him with hater BS!

That wasn't me. I haven't said anything about BL except that I liked the quote earlier. I don't know much about him except for his movies.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Sorry
i thought it was you

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Jay-morris

Actually, I was watching a program about Bruce Lee just the other day while I was running on a treadmill. I had my headphones in, so I was reading the closed-captioning and I wasn't paying close attention, but I got the impression that he was extremely well-respected among his peers soon after getting to the US, and I also saw a couple of people saying even though they were experts, they felt like children in the presence of Bruce Lee. I was as surprised as you to see people on here criticizing his skills. I don't care if he was a good guy or not, but I always thought his skills were unmatched.

On that same note, who cares if he got beat up by a stunt man once? The very creator and originator of Goju-Ryu in the United States (Lou Angel) is a guy I knew well as a kid. He was working as a cop when he was younger, already extremely skilled and well-known, but he got beat up by a drunk in a bar while he was on duty, and it almost ruined his career in police work and martial arts. It took him a very long time to overcome the stigma from that night, but there is always more to any story, and I'm sure there were extenuating circumstances, and Lou Angel is still held in the highest possible regard.

So, if Bruce Lee did get beat up once, it doesn't mean anything. Nobody has a perfect record, and sometimes things happen differently than we expect.
edit on 30-3-2012 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by Jay-morris

Actually, I was watching a program about Bruce Lee just the other day while I was running on a treadmill. I had my headphones in, so I was reading the closed-captioning and I wasn't paying close attention, but I got the impression that he was extremely well-respected among his peers soon after getting to the US, and I also saw a couple of people saying even though they were experts, they felt like children in the presence of Bruce Lee. I was as surprised as you to see people on here criticizing his skills. I don't care if he was a good guy or not, but I always thought his skills were unmatched.

On that same note, who cares if he got beat up by a stunt man once? The very creator and originator of Goju-Ru in the United States (Lou Angel) is a guy I knew well as a kid. He was working as a cop when he was younger, already extremely skilled and well-known, but he got beat up by a drunk in a bar while he was on duty, and it almost ruined his career in police work and martial arts. It took him a very long time to overcome the stigma from that night, but there is always more to any story, and I'm sure there were extenuating circumstances, and Lou Angel is still held in the highest possible regard.

So, if Bruce Lee did get beat up once, it doesn't mean anything. Nobody has a perfect record, and sometimes things happen differently than we expect.

I am a huge bruce lee fan. Its kind of cool to slag him off
at the moment, all because he had no recorded fights. these
people seem to think that this means he was not a martial artist,
but an actor, which is a load of rubbish!

I am sure that lee would have been a top fighter. He had the strengh, speed,
and could learn and adapt to different styles very easily and fast. His knowledge
and teaching skills are always spoken about by the likes of chuck norris, joe lewis,
bob wall, to name but i few.

Im not saying he was unbeatable because pretty much everyone
is beatable. But these haters show a lack of knowledge and respect
for the man, and what he done in his short life.

As for lee being beaten up by a stunt man, that is complete bs, and
thats why i replied to the poster, who suprise suprise, never replied to
me.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaMuslim

Invest time learning about the actual damage done during this sport. The number of deaths is actually less than most sports which you probably consider much much safer. If adults want to compete in the sport then they should be allowed, it is their freedom to choose if they want to compete or not. If people were dying in mma then maybe you would have a case, but these athletes are trained to toughen their bodies and the fast knockouts make it safer than boxing which is more likely to cause long term injuries due to the length of the bouts.

Yes it is an aggressive sport, I wish people who knew so little about it though didn't just focus n this one aspect because it is indeed a complex and talented art and is much safer than many more socially acceptable sports.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
My favorite sport of alltime is hockey. Yeah I am canadian lol. It has had a lot of contreversy last few years, due to the strike, and fighting etc. It used to be a manly sport, people are trying to turn it into figure skating. I am probably a bit biased, I was a defenseman, and the defenseman job has been cut down the past few years. The aim is to make the sport more "exciting" to the sheep, it is detrimental to the game if you ask me.

Hockey I would say is probably the most dangerous sport ever if you think about it. Normally there is 14 blades on the ice. A lot can go wrong there. Then you add in hitting, and fighting, it is pretty crazy. Wimpy offensive people like crosby have been trying to turn it into a whole different game. It used to be offense would try to play through hooks, checks, etc. Now we see wimps diving like soccor players, then crying like little girls.

In UFC, you don't gotta be out cold to be KO, the ref calls it as soon as you stop defending. Way safer than waiting till you are out cold. It's not the same in all MMA though, look up some of rampage's fights before the UFC. The UFC is a lot safer than a lot of MMA, that is for sure.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
This is a crazy thread filled with misinformation...

While I am a big fan of UFC, my heart belongs to PRIDE. There MMA artists were treated as heroes rather than gladiators. MMA is a conglomeration of styles from the martial arts world, testing styles against styles. If anybody is calling UFC a joke, with people like Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo, Jon Jones, Junior Dos Santos and K1 champion Allistar Overeem, it proves their ignorance.

When people say they love to catch fists with their face, they are not a martial artist. One of the elite martial artists Lyoto Machida, rarely gets hit because he knows his discipline so damn well.

Of course people will offer to fight with UFC champions, because they know it will never happen. Yeah, because a elite level fighter making a load of money per fight is going to fight some nobody from an Internet forum.

Now I am not saying people can't have some level of education in martial arts here, but to say they would love to fight UFC guys saying they are not 'street fighters' is ignorance at it's best.

Martial artists don't get in street fights, they are literally lethal weapons that are taught discipline and not to let their emotions rule their actions.

Sounds like a lot of people here have no idea what martial arts really is...

Pred...

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by predator0187
Martial artists don't get in street fights, they are literally lethal weapons that are taught discipline and not to let their emotions rule their actions.

Yes, especially people calling them thugs.

Again, see Bas Ruten. Bas used to give out business card if someone attacked him or challenged him in a bar, and asked the person to come to his gym if they wanted to spar. He wouldn't even fight back.

Anyway, doesn't matter. Good luck with your friend getready, and hopefully Thailand reconsiders decision.

Side note about Bruce Lee being beat up by a stunt man ... the stunt man in question is quite famous and was a professional martial arts trainer. A lot of stunt men are. Also, this was before people started strongly mixing grapple and ground with striking. Bruce Lee didn't believe in ground game so much until they met Gene allegedly, and they became very good friends.

The attitude that the stunt person was 'lowly' is just odd. Many stunt people I've met train multiple martial arts for really obvious reasons.
edit on 31-3-2012 by Pinke because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Hey snoopy or whatever. I do know exactly how the damage to the ears happens and I know plenty of people who don't have it and have been in much more serious situations than an MMA fighter bar a few. Your talking to a guy who has been doing martial arts for over well over 20 years. I've even gone to the hospital to get reconstructive surgery on my left eye socket after a street fight. I've been there I know what really happens. so why don't you shove off. I know why people get culiflower ear and why they don't too. a lot of very good guys never seem to get it. You are going on one hell of an assumption to think I don't know about culiflower ear. why don't we trade injuries sometime. bet I've got plenty more scars than you and from fighting.

You know some people consider culiflower ear to be a bragging right but an example of misdirected training and execution. Plenty of exceptional warriors never seem to get it. its from the type of training they do. Not every body will waste time wrestling with someone on a mat. there are more effiicent ways to defend your self than that.

Also I know plenty about training every day. but not on a stupid mat. I train outdoors on concrete. I do the ground work and the the striking. I know what it's like to train for real and for sport. Heres a clue if your training for real you WILL be so injured after each session that it's not possible to "be on the Mat" every day. Hyperextended elbows and dislocated fingers and sever bruising are the norm and they take a few days to heal. I know plenty. If you think I'm some armchair warrior than thats fine but man are you way off.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join