It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thailand government bans MMA

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Buddha1098
reply to post by getreadyalready

What's your weight class and where do you live? I'll fight you for charity.

AWESOME!

230 present weight, but would want to fight at about 215. Live in Tallahassee, FL, but willing to fight here, or in San Francisco where my buddy is currently getting treatment.

Are you already a fighter?

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
I'm 38, and I'd be happy to fight any of those UFC punks for charity to benefit my buddy fighting cancer. I hope one of them read this, and I hope they take me up on the challenge. Punks.

You got balls, dude. I wouldn't fight the weakest UFC fighter myself. After all, they do it for a living, it's all they do.

But it's for a good cause. Good luck (if it happens) and post the video on ATS!

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   

I'm a BJJ guy. I've never fought MMA but I've done BJJ for 7 years. I'm about 210 now, so weight class would work. It's more about the distance. I'm in Vancouver, I can't afford a flight now. But I'd want to have a full 3 month training camp before the fight anyway.

Maybe once the finances work out I can convince the wife to go to SF with me!

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Buddha1098

We'd want to market it for a good month or two anyway, and I could certainly use some refresher training as well! Its been about 10 years since I had any type of fight or sparring match that lasted more than a couple of minutes. I do stay in shape and work out, but not necessarily fighting shape.

We would be a good match for the junk I've been talking in this thread, because BJJ is my least favorite to watch, so you would be perfect to prove me wrong, LOL! I wrestled in high school, and I have some Judo and Roman-Greco skills, but most of my experience is Goju-Ru, a little Kenpo, a little Aikido, and a lot of street fighting. I've recently started to meddle in Krav Maga, but I don't know a thing about it yet.

A street fighter and pure striking style vs. a mostly grappling style should be pretty interesting I would think.

We can talk privately, see if there is a venue, and a way to market it, and a way to finance your trip, and then if things look possible, we can start a separate ATS thread, video our training, and share with folks here and on other social forums, and all the money outside of the travel expense and venue can go to benefit my buddy.

And, truth be told, even if I lose, I'd be happy to share some pain with him. He's been fighting this cancer battle for almost 5 years, he only had 20% survival rate from the start, and it feels really helpless to watch him suffer with no way to help. At least I could empathize with him as I recover from my fight injuries!

edit on 29-3-2012 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by daaskapital
Furthermore, Muay Thai and BJJ/JJ are the main arts used in MMA.
That's because they are very effective. Yes, there are traditions and things not taught to those learning Muay Thai for MMA. There are things lost in BJJ for those learning MMA, such as gi techniques. But, when learning multiple disciplines in a short amount of time, this is going to happen.

You ever heard of Bruce Lee? His idea was to learn and teach techniques that work, and do away with those that do not work. IMO, this is what MMA is trying to do.

OOOps, looks like Jay Morris already said what I said.

edit on 29-3-2012 by Hydroman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Buddha1098

I'm a BJJ guy. I've never fought MMA but I've done BJJ for 7 years. I'm about 210 now, so weight class would work. It's more about the distance. I'm in Vancouver, I can't afford a flight now. But I'd want to have a full 3 month training camp before the fight anyway.

Maybe once the finances work out I can convince the wife to go to SF with me!

You will finish him in 12 seconds tops.

I want in on the betting here.

Its "BJJ", versus "big mouth". DING, DING, DING.

12 SECONDS TOPS.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Absolutely man. Losing isn't an option. If it helps your friend with cancer then we all win.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hydroman

Originally posted by daaskapital
Half of MMA's techniques are derived from Muay Thai, which is a Martial Art/Combat. I did not dispute what you said. I said that i feel that MMA is damaging the identity of Muay Thai.
Is it only damaging Muay Thai? Does it not damage Karate? Judo? Jiu Jitsu? Boxing? Kung Fu? Etc? Why just Muay Thai?

If you have ever been to Thailand, you would know that Muay Thai is deeply ingrained in the Thai culture. You will see bums get in fights and throw Muay Thai kicks at each other. You will see kids before their teens fight with Muay Thai. There are Muay Thai events every week to go to, and their are underground fights in basements almost every night (At least 3 times a week).

I actually like Muay Thai, and I HATE MMA and UFC. I'm 38, and I'd be happy to fight any of those UFC punks for charity to benefit my buddy fighting cancer. I hope one of them read this, and I hope they take me up on the challenge. Punks. They aren't fighters, they are grapplers. There is nothing "Ultimate" about what they do. There are of course a few exceptions, but in general I see the sport as a bunch of nerds with some fight training.

I have personally sparred with a couple people that train two fighters that have made it to the UFC. I guarantee if the fighters read this they would be happy to spar you, and I also guarantee you don't want to spar them.

And a large number of UFC fighters have their striking because of Muay Thai, so what you say, does not make sense.

Maybe you'd like to fight Anderson Silva?

Although known primarily for his mastery of Muay Thai striking, Silva is also a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu blackbelt

I could probably scoop up a half-dozen people this afternoon that could take apart 90% of the professionals in the sport. They have no killer instinct, they don't finish their fights

No you couldn't. Maybe in some of the amateur leagues you can do this where you get people entering the ring for the first time. It's a well known practice for MMA fighters to get some of their tougher buddies to come in a fight someone who is new and isn't that good, just so they can chalk a win in a real fight, but it doesn't happen everyday.

90% of the professionals in MMA would make most eat their words. It's not like 90% of these people signed up to a gym just to fight MMA in a year or two. Most have a base style they have been learning since they were kids. Whether it be Muay Thai, Jitz, Boxing, Greco Roman, etc.

There is that 10% that recently signed up since the sport got popular. And yeah, those guys get their asses kicked.

I am lumping MMA and UFC in together, even though my main contention is with UFC, because UFC has the audacity to pretend to be "ultimate" and they use the ridiculous chainlink Octagon to prove how ultimate they are.

Pride never used the "chainlink Octagon".

I wrestled in high school, and I have some Judo and Roman-Greco skills, but most of my experience is Goju-Ru, a little Kenpo, a little Aikido, and a lot of street fighting. I've recently started to meddle in Krav Maga, but I don't know a thing about it yet.

Okay, now I get it. This was all about your personal experiences and you were transferring your emotions to real life events. Not every wrestling club is full of nerds that want to hold each other though.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by HangTheTraitors

This is a good start!
I'll be the "big mouth" if it helps get people to contribute. Although, if we do get a fight organized, I'll surely have to own up to my own training, which isn't that significant, but similar enough to his 7 years but that was almost 2 decades ago. I might need a little refresher training. I'm a lot grouchier now than I used to be though, so that should help, LOL!

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

You're right in a couple of regards. The recent popularity of the sport have made a lot of people think they are fighters, and those newcomers don't compare to the real pros. Also, there are some pros out there that are not only highly-trained professionals, but also overall tough guys that enjoy fighting. I just think your 90/10 and my 90/10 are entirely reversed. Perhaps it is closer to 50/50, who knows.

However, you're wrong about me incorrectly tranferring my personal experience to the entire sport. My personal experience is not all in little clubs as you might expect. I'm no professional, but I have sparred with some Olympic Judo and Greco stars, I have sparred with professional boxers, and I used to help with some of the old tough-man competitions, I bounced at country bars and night clubs, and I used to get in far too many street-fights. I officially trained in Goju-Ru, which had almost zero grappling at the time I trained, but I did learn some Aikido as well. The high school wrestling team was pretty worthless skill-wise, but it did provide a lot of mat-time, even though our coach sucked, we kind of developed our own skills.

My disdain mostlly comes from watching those stupid reality fighter shows, and watching a few PPV events that left me stunned at the lack of action and outcomes of the fights. Perhaps the earlier poster was right, and there is a lot lost in the translation to television, but that doesn't happen in boxing, so I have to assume it really is as sorry as it looks.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by HangTheTraitors

This is a good start!
I'll be the "big mouth" if it helps get people to contribute. Although, if we do get a fight organized, I'll surely have to own up to my own training, which isn't that significant, but similar enough to his 7 years but that was almost 2 decades ago. I might need a little refresher training. I'm a lot grouchier now than I used to be though, so that should help, LOL!

You are a good sport.

Thats really commendable.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Thats so IRONIC considering their history in Muay Thai

Then again, Muay Thai is just STOLEN from khmer bokator boran

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

This decision is a very interesting one in my opinion. I do partially agree with this decision though. Through MMA, Muay Thai is mis-represented through the arrogant nature of the MMA fighters, something that has no place in real Muay Thai. Furthermore, there is no sign of tradition, respect or culture present in most MMA fighters who practice Muay Thai.

Being a professional boxer and mixed martial artists I can say from an experienced perspective that traditional muy thai and MMA are to completely different sports. Having practiced traditional muy thai there are only certain aspects of the sport that apply to MMA. In my opinion the government of Thailand has no idea what they are talking about it is apples and oranges.

I will say that the culture of MMA is horrid and rank with extreme egotism.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I like MMA, it's the only sport I can watch without falling asleep.Of course the old traditional Arts have to be respected ,but they wouldn't even be invented in the first place if people have attitude like some of the posters on the first page.It's a sport that doesn't require just pure athleticism but also intelligence.Have you seen what those guys put their bodies through,the training,the ice baths,the extreme weight cutting.Aggression is in the human nature,our ancestors fought and died for thousands of years with bear hands and primitive weapons.We became so squeamish in the last two centuries.If two consenting adults want to fight to death for the entertainment of others I say go ahead.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by DavidWillts

First of all you have to consider that Mayweather is a Las Vegas native. A local hero. So you would have to use a different fight as an example.

And what I'm talking about is the overall popularity of MMA vs boxing. Plus the amount of money that each sport rakes in. Not just tickets and pay per view, but clothing and t.v. advertising.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   

My disdain mostlly comes from watching those stupid reality fighter shows, and watching a few PPV events that left me stunned at the lack of action and outcomes of the fights. Perhaps the earlier poster was right, and there is a lot lost in the translation to television, but that doesn't happen in boxing, so I have to assume it really is as sorry as it looks.

There are good fights and there are boring fights. Boxing has it's share of boring fights too. One thing about MMA that limits some of the striking or action, is the very light gloves they are using.

Which does make for great moments like this:

Muay Thai of course, is a great sport on its own, and (IMO) far more entertaining than boxing.

Of course, it translates into MMA quite well also,

There are a few MMA events that have bee just terrible. Whether it has to do with the fighters being evenly matched or afraid to execute something, there are a lot of reasons. Part of it has to do with a lot of them being able to counter each other in many aspects.

Then you have the fighters like Koscheck who because of his wrestling background, will just continuously double leg someone the entire match to earn points for a decision win. Not a fan! But a win is a win, and you still have to appreciate tactics, as they are used similarly in most fighting sports.

But I would say for all the boring fights in one event there are at least one or two that will make up for them. The good thing is that the fights don't last that long, 3 rounds x5mins, compared to 10 x3min rounds +10 mins of rest in boxing.

I just think it is silly to turn a nose or bash MMA when being involved in any other fighting sport.

Personally I don't like boxing because I think 12 oz gloves and limited body contact are not realistic. But I felt that way since I was a kid (and was put into boxing by a pugilist dad.) I think I got more insight out of my street fights.

I have always like Muay Thai, and kickboxing because it's more than just strikes with gloves.

It really makes no sense to bash one fighting sport over the other anyways. At the end of the day if you feel your style is better than another, simply challenge someone from the other side to an MMA fight!

Just not in Thailand....

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

I will say that the culture of MMA is horrid and rank with extreme egotism.

It turned into that because it got marketed to the American public. Pride fights had high regard in Japan. Long before MMA hit its pinnacle of popularity stateside.

It had to be marketed to make it successful, the reality show kicked it off and it did by throwing together a bunch of unstable fighters in a house and adding some TV Drama. That's the stuff that is usually left out of sports, but with MMA it seems people think it's mandatory.

It's good and bad, without the exposure it would never have reached where it is which would mean less fights, less money for fighters. At the same time, without the exposure the sport could have maintained a little more dignity.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Why do the threads on martial arts always have to degenerate into off topic testosterone fueled urinating matches, about what style is or isn't effective, what style is or isn't better, or who can or can't kick someone else's rear without even trying. Seriously, people it's off topic and it really makes a lot of people think that the majority of martial artists are just idiotic cavemen and I know most aren't, but the endless off topic martial art bickering makes them appear to be so. And if you want to bicker about styles and etc, there are already threads for that usually with titles like. "What martial art kicks the most butt!" and "What art will really let me crush someones face in a 'real" streetfight!" **disclaimer: those are not really titles of any threads, but may as well be** There are plenty of existing threads already geared to comparing styles though.

The topic of the thread is; surprise, actually about Thailand banning MMA nothing more and nothing less. Now since I actually have an attention span that allows me to focus on the topic and no agenda or particular martial arts to promote or defend, I will comment on the topic.

The fact is, the Thai government banning MMA is simply protectionism. They are trying to defend the very lucrative Muay Thai industry and yes lets set the "culture" bs aside, it's about money. They don't want MMA taking away money from their art and the current organizations, training centers and industries that make up their sport. That is all they care about really, is losing money.

And to those who talk about Thai people getting tired of watching wannabe fighters that is just ludicrous. The fact is if the Thai people were tired of or didn't like MMA it wouldn't be an issue nor would they need to ban it, because like Muay Thai, the MMA is about money, if they don't sell any tickets, they don't come to your arena or your country, pure and simple.

edit on 29-3-2012 by prisoneronashipoffools because: typo

edit on 29-3-2012 by prisoneronashipoffools because: typo

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   
thailand is just trying to save its national pastime and culture and its not a bad idea because of mma's growing popularity muay thai would take a backseat to it eventually.

the reason i love mma is that it combines all the different martial arts and fighters cross train them all for the most part. these days the fighters have to learn the different styles otherwise they will be easily defeated. i can almost guarantee that floyd mayweather would easily lose to an mma fighter if he didnt fully train bjj and wrestling takedown defense not to mention blocking kicks. if you look at the ancient art called pancration (sp) you will see that people have been using mma for centuries and i would say that mma would be the best form of self defense out there along with krav maga which uses illegal moves which would definitely help in a no holds barred street fight.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chi-and-Me
reply to post by DavidWillts

First of all you have to consider that Mayweather is a Las Vegas native. A local hero. So you would have to use a different fight as an example.

Two championship fights i can't think of a better example and Mayweather is not a LV native, he is from michigan and did not start fighting only in vegas 2006. But fine, the last UFC event in the US was UFC: Sanchez vs. Ellenberger only 7,000 and had local fighter Tim Means and 217,000 home views.

And what I'm talking about is the overall popularity of MMA vs boxing. Plus the amount of money that each sport rakes in. Not just tickets and pay per view, but clothing and t.v. advertising.

okay.... It is painfully obvious that you have no idea what you are talking about.
1. The highest record for PPV ratings for a UFC fight ever is 1.6 million and boxing consistently sells more than UFC fights on PPV.
2. TV advertising does not make money, that costs money to bring in the ticket sales and PPV, which again boxing makes more.
3. Clothing is really just grasping at straws.many places promote both boxing and MMA , Affliction uses Delahoya and mosley to promote.
edit on 29-3-2012 by DavidWillts because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join