It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US suspends food aid to N Korea-Pentagon

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by deessell
Many people forget that due to its geography, it is very difficult to grow a variety of food, just as it is in South Korea. Most food would need to be imported, but they are unable to do that as a result of sanctions. I'm not defending the regime, just stating that the situation is more complex.

It is my opinion that the US needs to have the 'threat' of North Korea for various reasons. The first reason being that it provides a good reason for the US troops to remain in South Korea, which is something that the SK people are not too happy about. The second reason NK provides a buffer zone to China's increasing sphere of influence.

Find it hard to believe. With the amount of money spent in building tunnels and caves to hide the massive artillery, wouldn't it be better if that was spent in re-shaping the landscape to facilitate cash crop cultivation where the terrain is a challenge? Common now.

As hard working as many of the peasants in the orients are, it is not impossible. If the land is fertile, it is possible. The projects should be initiated by the Government. But the leadership is locked and controlled which is the only roadblock for NK to be self sufficient upto certain extent.

Look at some of the ME countries where the deserts are turned into highly sophisticated and modernized cities including facilitating Drinking Water from the ocean and facilitating small scale farming for certain agricultural products. Saudis have not achieved their goal yet but just look at the stats.

SAUDI_WATER_INFO

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   

reply to post by beam1

Beam, I lived there for two years, plus there are numerous reports in SK media regarding this. Would you like 20,000+ foreign troops based in your country?

I wonder why? Is the hatred strictly based on the presence? or the behaviour of the GI's (few misfits exploiting the locals)? Or simply the new generation of SK population do not remember the korean conflict?

edit on 30-3-2012 by hp1229 because: edit content

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by beam1

reply to post by Homedawg

Yes, it is easy to say that from the comfort of your chair, in front of the computer however, those that have the task of formulating foreign policy must be more pragmatic. The US does not give aid without strings. These strings benefit US interests, else there would be no aid. Sometimes those strings include improvement in human rights issues and other times it is contracts to US companies.

It is important for 'western' countries to continue to give aid to developing countries, why? China has lots of money to spread around, they on the other hand have NO strings attached. If the US wishes to maintain its strong influence in the world, they must continue to give aid.

Omg! China gives away money with no strings? Wtf... You ppl are so one sided, you want the us not to give aid because they only do it to benefit them but then you go on to say that we have to continue giving aid. The headache some of you dish out..

isn't that amazing how most folks generally bash the US foreign policies (atleast on ATS) but fail to analyze other countries who practice similar 'strings attached' policies ?
China of all the countries has the most shrude business tactics up their sleeves.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by dreamstalker

Originally posted by Atzil321
reply to post by satron

You find starving people a source of amusement........?
2nd line

[quote[I don't see the UK kicking in any food aid, unless you know something I don't,easy to sit back and criticise someone for not doing enough while your country does zero.

Isn't that something?

and why does anyone want too feed these stupid people who believe anything they are told,get them out of the organized Government Rallies and into the farm land and GEE I have a great idea grow some FOOD instead of using those hands clapping some fat ego maniac

Precisely what the leadership of NK should also be focusing in addition to keeping up with Space Race and/or Nuclear energy. However so far it has only been about the Dictatorship and its Agendas.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I truly believe with Japan just threatening to shoot the rocket out of the sky, there will be some sort of serious crap happening over there. i just keep going back to the point of Ed Dames ( Remote Viewer) saying there will be some sort of nuclear attack on South Korea before the Solar Flare known as the Killshot hits earth. Are we approaching another one of Ed Dames predictions???

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Let be serious here people. that food was never meant to feed the starving citizens of North Korea. This deal was made so that A)Obama looks good, feeding the needy and all B) Keep North Korea off the radar while they deal with Iran and C) Most importantly for Obama I'm sure, make tons of money for Monsanto, who no doubt would have supplied the food. Its the last one that has me wondering....dosnt his backers still want their/your money. Has something hapened recently that made Monsanto a load of money that I'm not aware of?? Seem like to much of a Win Win Win for the powers that be to cancel this fairly new deal. What gives?

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
Isn't starvation against the Geneva convention?

We are not starving them. We stopped giving them food. The NK government (and citizens) has an obligation to feed its self. The United States dos NOT have an obligation to feed those people.

If you say we are starving them then you just as well should say we are starving everyone else in the world that is starving.

We have an obligation to our own people not the rest of the world when it comes down to it.

EDIT TO ADD: By the way most of that food was being used to feed their army anyways.

-Alien

edit on 3/30/2012 by Alien Abduct because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Time people stop taking sides according to what country they are from. And stop this "we" stuff. Honestly people on here defending their nation's gov't's actions as though it's a way to fight or defend "their corner". It's not. Its us and them. Their wickedness and crimes against the species are unraveled day by day.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   

reply to post by Laxpla

No it applies to war time in which the enemy cannot use starvation against opposing forces, it does not say anything about the own country.

Yes this applies if we are stopping them from feeding themselves. We are not stopping them from feeding themselves we are stopping ourselves from feeding them. Quote the Geneva Convention where this is wrong.

-Alien

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

just another case of AMERICA world police. annoys me the way they think that the sun shines out there ass when infact it doesnt it shines out of space hmmmmm Ironic

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by kwakakev
reply to post by beam1

As for this Ballistic capability, yes they could put a bomb in it, or a satellite, or a dog, propaganda material or pretty much anything they want. A missile is a transport device and with some tweaks to a few widgets could carry anything as long as it falls within weight and size restrictions.

Is this coming back to that Remote Viewing prediction where some are fearful that NK will sneak a bomb into this test and blow a hole in our atmosphere that leads to the eventual destruction of civilisation? If so, have their been any recent developments with such predictions?

As for your continued harping on about the recent shelling of SK. The death toll for this Korean conflict is around 1 - 1.5 Million koreanwarstuff.com... . As a parent walking in on a couple of kids fighting, I do not care who started it. I want it stopped now.

THAT WAS THE POINT OF THE AGREEMENT FOR FOOD KWAK... so that they cant just put anything in it that they want, especialy ballistic tech..

no this isnt about a prediction about blowing a hole in the atmosphere, its about breaching the contract..

so i cant harp about nk shelling sk not too long ago, but i have to deal with your bs on how you think nk should have nukes and how bad you feel for them because they are cornered by china russia america etc. all while they are pointing a missile at YOUR country.. the frikin irony!

i think you and deesell just need to pack your stuff and move to north korea, im sure we can keep in contact via internet..

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

the kicker is that most of them are from australia! you know the country that fought the afghan war with us, iran etc.. and to this day buy our military goods and let us train them.. crazy ppl

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by kwakakev

"Firstly they do appear disciplined enough to handle the responsibility of day to day management."

ok kwak... you win...

edit on 30-3-2012 by beam1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
IFirst of all we cant take anything MSM says because we have no idea. If we we try and connect the dots or look back through history they will say anything just to get the population pointing fingers at the enemy. Honestly do you think North Korea gives a flying crap about the rest of the world ? Do you really honestly think North korea would say they were gonna scale back there nuclear arms. If you follow the trend from when Kim Jong Un died, you will see that since then North Korea has been in the news almost weekly. Who knows if he died last December maybe a year before that and the Americn GOVERNMENT JUST TOLD US!! We really gotta look at this like now there drumming the war propaganda. We gotta think the worst from our governments . We dont even know if North Korea really is gonna send a rocket. If they were wouldnt it go straight up to space? why is there so much hype on it flying over South Korea territory and Japan? Could this be some rocket that is BS just so they can start the war i dont know the whole thing really makes no sense, it really doesnt . This is all my own opinion im curious what you folks think??

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alien Abduct

Isn't starvation against the Geneva convention?

We are not starving them. We stopped giving them food. The NK government (and citizens) has an obligation to feed its self. The United States dos NOT have an obligation to feed those people.

If you say we are starving them then you just as well should say we are starving everyone else in the world that is starving.

We have an obligation to our own people not the rest of the world when it comes down to it.

EDIT TO ADD: By the way most of that food was being used to feed their army anyways.

-Alien

edit on 3/30/2012 by Alien Abduct because: (no reason given)

Thank you Alien Abuct... well said... I for one am ready to keep our money and food at home...

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by LauraBow

That depends on how you look at it.Threatened? How can a small fella threaten a big guy. If one wants to retaliate one can come up with a lot of adjectives to justify one's action. That is the wonder of the English language.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Hahaha777

As far as East Asians are concerned Japan is on her own. Koreans (North and South) and Chinese do not like or trust them. Probably " the sins of their fathers". They have memory of an elephant so it will take many, many generations before this can be eradicated. The Japanese know because they come from the same stock so now they no longer want a global military.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by slanteye

I don't understand the objectives I know north Korea won't confirm is one reason they want them gone , but what does this all have to do with the world ending I'm getting tired of waiting

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sinny
Yea...starve the people because you don't like other countries advancing....don't you just love how the US picks a chooses it strategies aye?

In light of North Korea's actions, the United States had 'no confidence' that it was possible to 'to ensure that the food assistance goes to the starving people and not the regime elite,' Lavoy said before the House Armed Services Committee.

Yea cuz the super elite really want tinned cans and bags of rice

edit on 29-3-2012 by Sinny because: (no reason given)

I suppose Pyongyang could scale back his military and begin generating the produce necessary to feed his people, or he could work on medical or technological advances; but they don't suit his agenda. You are quite correct, the U.S. has no business feeding thos who have no desire to co-operate with the U.S. agenda- and it makes complete and utter, rational sense.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by onthedownlow

Since the wall between North and South Korea started about 60 years ago, things have been at a constant state of 'ceasefire'. Until a peace treaty is finally agreed upon and signed, the agenda is self defence for the immediate preparation of further conflict.

Considering the cultural, ideological and political differences going on at the time it is not uncommon for this wall to stand for a long time, look at Germany and its 40 or so year wall. With the wall in Germany eventually coming down there is some hope that this Korean one will fall too.

The issue of cooperation is a very important one as there are many nations and the population of Korea all caught up in it. Arguing at a wall just bounces the argument back at you, finding out why it is there helps you get around it.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join