It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US suspends food aid to N Korea-Pentagon

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xieon

reply to post by Hawking

How exactly did NK breach the agreement? Do you have the terms of the agreement? In both Korean, and English? Because I'd like to see them.

Technically speaking launching a peaceful satellite into space might not breach the agreement.

Do you have the missle specs in english and korean to know its peacful? See what just happened?

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by kwakakev

Good they wpuld try to use it aginst us ant tyr to spin it to make the usa look weak

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   
this rocket?...jeez... articles.cnn.com...:ASIA

A satellite rocket? If we have satellites all over the damn place, why can't north Korea?

There seems to be a huge principle missing here.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by beam1
reply to post by deessell

south korea was going to pony up 3.5bn.... Says so right on your link, the very country that got shelled by nk a few month back... You need to pack up you typing fingers and hop off the band wagon.. Even the evili america was going to give the 400m.

Just move to north korea, im sure it would be simple.

Beam, you are new around here. Instead of giving your opinion, it is customary to provide some citations for sources. So far you have provided nothing. I suggest you do some research, so that you are able to offer informed opinion.

As mentioned, the reactors will be built mainly by the South Koreans, who will supply the bulk of the funds, the rest coming mostly from Japan.

The North Koreans balked at accepting a South Korean nuclear power station, or pretended to, but have agreed with the understanding that the United States will play a central coordinating role. The North Koreans have insisted on dealing directly with the United States and on the whole have gotten their way. The entity that will direct the work and contract for services is the Korean Energy Development Organization, led by the United States. At North Korea's insistence, the United States will serve as the point of contact with the DPRK and U.S. citizens will lead all delegations and teams of KEDO. KEDO was responsible for selecting a prime contractor, a South Korean firm. But, again at the North's insistence, a U.S. firm will serve as program coordinator.

In December 1995 KEDO and the DPRK signed a supply agreement for the LWRs.16 The reactors are supposed to conform to standards "equivalent" to those of the United States. The DPRK is to repay KEDO in cash or "in kind," interest free, over a twenty-year period starting three years after the completion of the plants. Realistically, however, the plants are a gift that the South Koreans hope to regain after eventual reunification.

www.hoover.org...

Not sure if there is any truth to this, I wouldn't be surprised but

A jubilant U.S. State Department announced today that the Halliburton subsidiary of Buhn & Dogale, a small ceramic figurine manufacturing firm located in the Cayman Islands, has been granted a coveted $3.2 billion no-bid contract to construct North Korea's first light-water nuclear reactor.

State Department spokesman Sean McCormack said key officials associated with the contract award, an important component of the recently signed North Korean Now You See Them Now You Don't Strategic Nuclear Arms Limitation Treaty, were "elated".

"We've all worked very hard over the past several years to put this agreement in place," said McCormack. "According to the terms of the treaty, we will provide funding, technical know-how, and construction capacity and infrastructure to build North Korea's light-water nuclear plant, in return for which North Korea will promise not to secretly build any more nuclear weapons and to destroy their current stockpile. Pyongyang has assured us they will begin to dismantle all of their existing nuclear capabilities as soon as the first spade hits the ground. They've been a little coy about telling us what those capabilities are, exactly, though."

www.avantnews.com...

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by NotAnAspie

A satellite rocket? If we have satellites all over the damn place, why can't north Korea?

Yes.. That one.. that has bolistic missle tech, the very stuff nk made an agreement not to test in exchange for food. Is that the principle that you missed?!

edit on 30-3-2012 by beam1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Yes.. That one.. that has bolistic missle tech, the very stuff nk made an agreement not to test in exchange for food.

how do you know it has ballistic missile tech?

can you provide a source for this?

edit... and no, that wasn't the principle I was looking for. Maybe you want to try again.
edit on 30-3-2012 by NotAnAspie because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by beam1

Like why would you feel it was ok for them to have nukes.

Firstly they do appear disciplined enough to handle the responsibility of day to day management. I know they give the rest of the world a hard time, but in some ways I can see a productive benefit of their hard line approach to matters. Would Iraq and the GFC gone down the way it did with NK at the table going WTF.

But then they are a very isolated nation and without a greater understanding of just what is going on around the world it could also be detrimental as there is a lot of cultural variation and complex issues going on. With NK being stuck in a time warp in terms of development, they do have some catching up to do. As an isolated nation they do hold a lot of tradition and values indigenous to the region and have been very much influenced by the nature of war and larger global direction.

If NK have made it this far through all of their challenges then I find it hard to consider that they would actually use such weapons unless faced with annihilation. But considering the ongoing tension in the region there is a valid risk that an ultimate exchange may take place, perhaps even accidently. Having this issue solved one way or another is the next step towards peace in the region, so that I am thankful for.

I do find it a little ironic that as peaceful relations build, SK will ultimately become responsible for the toy shop in NK and are in fact limiting their own nuclear aspiration. In the interest of world peace this is the agenda.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by deessell

Lol.. Everything i said came right out of your own link.. So what are you questioning me on? sk giving most of the money, or nk shelling sk months ago? Just google it you seem to be good at it..

Im new... Lol

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by beam1

I believe you missed my prior post.The one where I would violate rules to drop FOOD where there are people who could eat it.
No other Army on this world gets more troops killed protecting innocent civilians.But I doubt the press even covers that anymore.Which would explain your lack of knowledge of it.
And of course there is a world wide guerrilla style war using innocents as shields and targets,going on.
NK wants an ICBM.What are vegas odds on this thing clearing the gantry huh?
edit on 30-3-2012 by cavtrooper7 because: Didn't finish my point

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Yes.. That one.. that has bolistic missle tech, the very stuff nk made an agreement not to test in exchange for food.

C

edit... and no, that wasn't the principle I was looking for. Maybe you want to try again.

Do you ppl read your own links? the link you provided seems to indicate they do, maybe you should of posted a link that said it isnt a bollistic,missle..

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 12:21 AM
link   

C

Do you ppl read your own links? the link you provided seems to indicate they do, maybe you should of posted a link that said it isnt a bollistic,missle..

nowhere in that article does it say "BOLLISTIC" missile tech... and if it did, it would have to be edited for spelling errors because of it.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by kwakakev

Its 130am ill be back in a few hours after work and will reply some more with links for everyone since im new and all lol.. Just cant do links now cause they never work from my tablet so ill be sure to reply from my pc..

Later..

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by NotAnAspie

yea yea " ballistic" anyway... It does say it, try reading it from the top a few more times... You will find it, i promise :-)

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Such a complicated situation to be in and I don't think anyone really has an answer :/

If western countries abandoned North Korea and left it to choke on its own vomit, it'll turn to China for support and in the meantime millions of brain-washed civilians will die of starvation, mis-treatment & torture.

If the US/UN forcibly removes the North Korean government, the entire population are so brainwashed the US/UN wouldn't be fighting an army, they'd be fighting the entire country. There's also the very real risk that China will get involved and turn it into a world war.

It seems the only hope is that China eventually matures to a point where it realises how batsh* insane North Korea are and start leaving them to their own devices (if that's even a possibility). Maybe with China becoming more and more involved with western countries they'll be forced to westernize (improved human rights etc) which will make them distance themselves from the human rights abuses in North Korea.. but that's alot of maybes and who says North Korea wouldn't just turn to Russia if China gave them the flick :/

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   
I read something more along the lines of "The apparent attempt at North Korean transparency comes amid a flurry of condemnations of its planned launch because it goes against North Korea's nuclear development agreement"

I looked for it twice. Totally serious.

I am very suspicious of that page and this website even more so now.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   
furthermore... the missles are believed to have come from Egypt and they already had ballistic carrying capabilities but I just clipped this from an article....
The Taepodong-1 is understood to have test flown once in August 1998 as a space launcher. Instead of a normal ballistic missile payload, the missile carried a third stage that was meant to send a small satellite into low Earth orbit.

... I believe it is 2 they are wanting to send up and even if it could hold ballistics, it doesn't mean it's going to if it's going to be carrying a satellite.

face it, it's really just an excuse to stop sending them food and the only reason we probably made the agreement in the first place was because south Korea is screaming about it and that intel is so full of western influence because we basically infiltrated Korea when they stopped trading with us long ago and we didn't like it so we sent a gunboat to do trade negotiations that started a conflict and now we are all in south Korean politics. It's just more bait being sent out and indicative that our country is torn because half of it is full of billy badasses.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sinny
Yea...starve the people because you don't like other countries advancing....don't you just love how the US picks a chooses it strategies aye?

In light of North Korea's actions, the United States had 'no confidence' that it was possible to 'to ensure that the food assistance goes to the starving people and not the regime elite,' Lavoy said before the House Armed Services Committee.

Yea cuz the super elite really want tinned cans and bags of rice

edit on 29-3-2012 by Sinny because: (no reason given)

Don't you just love how we pick and choose because we're the ones giving them aid?They're capable of doing that but yet they want us to feed their people.You've always got something negative to say about the US don't you?Spin it however you want but the US has every right to back out of this.We're doing THEM the favor.

Sorry,but there's something wrong with a country who counts on aid to FEED YOUR OWN PEOPLE! And don't give me the bs that there's people starving in America.Yes,there are.But nothing like the situation in North Korea.There's been numerous stories for the years where the North Korean "government" got aid and did NOT distribute it the way it was meant to be.

edit on 30-3-2012 by nightstalker78 because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-3-2012 by nightstalker78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Connman

I agree it`s sad if they would (North Koreans) read such things but they won`t.

NK, along with every other county is now bound by net neutrality. They have an obligation to try and keep the channels of communication open, and since they are not in a state of active conflict there is no justification to close down communication links. Yes they are heavily regulated but they are online at www.korea-dpr.com... . I am not sure how active NK is in the internet community but they are plugged in and with a population of 24 Million there are some resources available. I would consider it an issue of national security to gauge international opinion on this and other issues. Even if there are no direct views from NK, ATS does have international participation with its discussions.

Bad thing is most all of them would be glad to die for their leader or has that changed now?

Their new leader has had some international exposure and does appear keen to put this tension at an end. It is not an easy position and getting isolated makes it tougher to find a way out of this mess. I heard some reports that NK was not invited at the recent SK nuclear summit, I expect they found out what went down anyway but it is poor form on the international communities part to publicly deny NK participation. I do not know the full story behind this but NK does need to feel safe and part of the team if it is to work through the difficulties behind this wall.

I expect there is a lot of patrism in NK, as similar to many other nations.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by LauraBow
Didn't North Korea just threaten the US recently? Sad situation all around.

We have a winner.North Korea is always threatening the US.Aid needs to be cut off forever.But that wouldn't be politically correct so we won't do it.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   
let them be cut off, but they were stating that they were ready for a preemptive strike coming from the us because of pressures the international community has put on them. there's no telling what has been said to them first. just like when our president who doesn't really seem to be as gung ho as Israel about a strike against Iran, but it DID say that military force was on the table if necessary.

by the same token, Iran could perceive that as a direct threat from the US... and nothing changes as America continues to bully people.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join