It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US suspends food aid to N Korea-Pentagon

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Homedawg

It's called soft power and is a form of diplomacy. Instead of threatening the state, it is supposed to function like a carrot, as opposed to the stick. Would you prefer the US use a harder form of coercion, as demonstrated previously in history?
edit on 29-3-2012 by deessell because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by deessell
Many people forget that due to its geography, it is very difficult to grow a variety of food, just as it is in South Korea. Most food would need to be imported, but they are unable to do that as a result of sanctions. I'm not defending the regime, just stating that the situation is more complex.

It is my opinion that the US needs to have the 'threat' of North Korea for various reasons. The first reason being that it provides a good reason for the US troops to remain in South Korea, which is something that the SK people are not too happy about. The second reason NK provides a buffer zone to China's increasing sphe re of influence.

What do you mean south korea isnt happy to have american troops? Where did you get that from?

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by deessell

Yeah, that peace is not good for profits bit...

Aside from that, China has played a large part with the military activities in North Korea. The USSR also played a large part, but has since faded when it became Russia. If the US did punch through NK at the time, then the road to Beijing or Moscow would have very likely been next. As relations between China and the US have been improving over the years, this threat is diminishing.

Korea has very much been like a buffer zone between East and West with NK stuck between China, Russia, Japan and America. When all these nations where fighting, NK could easily play one of against the other. Now that better foreign relations are taking shape between all these powers, the need for NK muscle is diminishing.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by beam1

Beam, I lived there for two years, plus there are numerous reports in SK media regarding this. Would you like 20,000+ foreign troops based in your country?

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   

It's called soft power and is a form of diplomacy. Instead of threatening the state, it is supposed to function like a carrot, as opposed to the stick. Would you prefer the US use a harder form of coercion, as demonstrated previously in history?
edit on 29-3-2012 by deessell because: (no reason given)
I know all the reasons but there are just too many foes feeding at the US teat...Time to cut back on the line at the trough
edit on 3/29/2012 by Homedawg because: There

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   

edit on 3/29/2012 by Homedawg because: Cause I can

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by kwakakev
reply to post by beam1

Still think they should have nukes?

Considering how the international community is uniting to set the nuclear agenda to decrease and has strengthened under START, if you have not got any nukes now it is too late. Growing up in a world where nuclear weapons have been proliferating it has very much been a competition to see who can get into this club. In a way this is great as no one nation gets complete authority and it provides a very clear separation of powers for international discussions.

With previous Korea peace talks shutting down on the nuclear issue, it is good that NK is releasing its nuclear ambitions and this issue is getting behind us all. As the benefits of capitalism has out flanked communism on all sides of NK, there is an awareness that things do need to change. How this is achieved is the next step.

Good to know you came around, had me worried.. Like why would you feel it was ok for them to have nukes... I dont think that its soley based on it being too late to join the club but imo based on the history it would be kind of crazy to let them.. I wouldnt stop them from having a nuclear plant but they would have to be under very strict regulations and keep a very close eye on the uranium..

Quite frankly i dont care how its achieved.. Its been over 50yrs and they still havnt come around, im hearing rumors that we are getting ready to shoot up the ibx because nk still want to shoot that missle into space, im sorry but in a situation like this im gping to take my countries side.. Wrong or not if they feel like it may have a war head then imo nk needs to do something huge to prove they dont. They just need to stop acting like thick heads, cause its not just america that is pulling support from nk so is china, the country that backed them in the korean war..

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Yes, it is easy to say that from the comfort of your chair, in front of the computer however, those that have the task of formulating foreign policy must be more pragmatic. The US does not give aid without strings. These strings benefit US interests, else there would be no aid. Sometimes those strings include improvement in human rights issues and other times it is contracts to US companies.

It is important for 'western' countries to continue to give aid to developing countries, why? China has lots of money to spread around, they on the other hand have NO strings attached. If the US wishes to maintain its strong influence in the world, they must continue to give aid.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Would i want 20k plus troops in my country that liberated me from the north communist? Yes i would welcome it for another 61 yrs. Why wouldnt i want the kind of training they are getting incase of another shelling from the north, why wouldnt i want a super power to back me up incase a war..

Now dont get me wrong im sure there are a few that dont want it in sk, there will always be that un-happy bunch that you can never please. If i wasnt on my tab i would chalenge you to links on who could link more info on sk not wanting troops vs wanting troops and you would loose. Im sure they have some anomosity towards us for letting nk get away with the shelling though but im sure nk wont get away with it any more..

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Yes, it is easy to say that from the comfort of your chair, in front of the computer however, those that have the task of formulating foreign policy must be more pragmatic. The US does not give aid without strings. These strings benefit US interests, else there would be no aid. Sometimes those strings include improvement in human rights issues and other times it is contracts to US companies.

It is important for 'western' countries to continue to give aid to developing countries, why? China has lots of money to spread around, they on the other hand have NO strings attached. If the US wishes to maintain its strong influence in the world, they must continue to give aid.

Omg! China gives away money with no strings? Wtf... You ppl are so one sided, you want the us not to give aid because they only do it to benefit them but then you go on to say that we have to continue giving aid. The headache some of you dish out..

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by JiggyPotamus

They are really trying to incite a nuclear standoff.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
The should be allowed to build a light water reactor. Simple. This is what the NK's want to do.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   

The should be allowed to build a light water reactor. Simple. This is what the NK's want to do.

What you want to do and what you do are very different... Your just jumping on the i hate america band wagon, everything to you seems so simple when it accounts the nk side of things.. Maybe you should go back and take over nk?

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by omega man

They are really trying to incite a nuclear standoff.

The nuclear stand off has been going on for 60 or so years, Korea and the world is getting tired of it. But globally this issue is a lot bigger and will take time to sort out as Korea is just one piece of the nuclear puzzle. Lately with the recent nuclear summit there is some willingness to get rid of nuclear weapons altogether. However global security and relations is not yet at the stage where we can just chuck it all in the bin. This idea of a nuclear free world is a good idea and goal, but much work still remains.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by beam1

Maybe things would be better for the NK people if the Light Water Reactor was built however,

The Shinpo project was cancelled by the US Government in 2002. The US claimed the plant breached a 1994 agreement by secretly continuing with its nuclear weapons programmes. The plant was to consist of two 1,000MW blocks based on the South Korean standard nuclear plant (KSNP) design. Total investment was originally estimated at $4.5bn.

The Korean Peninsula Energy Development Organisation (KEDO) is a New York-based international consortium established in Geneva in 1994. The consortium comprises Japan, South Korea, the US, the EU and eight UN member countries, including Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Finland and Indonesia.
"The new light water reactor plant was to be under the scrutiny of international inspectors."

It was formed as part of an agreement whereby the international consortium members would build a 2,000MW nuclear power plant in North Korea and, in return, North Korea would phase out its graphite reactors, which are capable of producing bomb-grade material. Unlike the original Pyongyang programme, the new light water reactor plant was to be under the scrutiny of international inspectors, guaranteeing the communist country's nuclear power plants played no role in nuclear weapon development.

The location chosen for the new plant was the the Kumho area of Shinpo, in the South Hamkyong Province of North Korea.

www.power-technology.com...

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by kwakakev

I agree it`s sad if they would (North Koreans) read such things but they won`t. They are cut off from the way the real outside world is and works.
They fenced themselves in and want what they fenced themselves in from to send them stuff or?? Or what? Or they will starve their own people. It`s not us starving them its themselves no matter what they read here on the internet it is of their own doing they put that wall up.

Yes it makes me sad for I`m sure they would be much better off on this side of that wall and we don`t hate them but their screwed up leaders and want nuts need removed from this type power trip.
They need liberated at all cost if we want the people there to survive. Bad thing is most all of them would be glad to die for their leader or has that changed now?

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   

reply to post by beam1

Maybe things would be better for the NK people if the Light Water Reactor was built however,

The Shinpo project was cancelled by the US Government in 2002. The US claimed the plant breached a 1994 agreement by secretly continuing with its nuclear weapons programmes. The plant was to consist of two 1,000MW blocks based on the South Korean standard nuclear plant (KSNP) design. Total investment was originally estimated at $4.5bn.

The Korean Peninsula Energy Development Organisation (KEDO) is a New York-based international consortium established in Geneva in 1994. The consortium comprises Japan, South Korea, the US, the EU and eight UN member countries, including Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Finland and Indonesia.
"The new light water reactor plant was to be under the scrutiny of international inspectors."

It was formed as part of an agreement whereby the international consortium members would build a 2,000MW nuclear power plant in North Korea and, in return, North Korea would phase out its graphite reactors, which are capable of producing bomb-grade material. Unlike the original Pyongyang programme, the new light water reactor plant was to be under the scrutiny of international inspectors, guaranteeing the communist country's nuclear power plants played no role in nuclear weapon development.

The location chosen for the new plant was the the Kumho area of Shinpo, in the South Hamkyong Province of North Korea.

www.power-technology.com...

They breached the contract... You do know what happens when contracts are breached right? your trying too hard.

And by the way does it say who invested that 4.5b?
edit on 29-3-2012 by beam1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinny
Yea...starve the people because you don't like other countries advancing....don't you just love how the US picks a chooses it strategies aye?

In light of North Korea's actions, the United States had 'no confidence' that it was possible to 'to ensure that the food assistance goes to the starving people and not the regime elite,' Lavoy said before the House Armed Services Committee.

Yea cuz the super elite really want tinned cans and bags of rice

edit on 29-3-2012 by Sinny because: (no reason given)

Cry me a malnourished river...

Their leaders made an agreement to suspend certain activities. They violated the agreement.

Maybe the population will realize what a tyrannical dictatorship is when their food supply begins to thin out

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Hawking

How exactly did NK breach the agreement? Do you have the terms of the agreement? In both Korean, and English? Because I'd like to see them.

Technically speaking launching a peaceful satellite into space might not breach the agreement.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   

south korea was going to pony up 3.5bn.... Says so right on your link, the very country that got shelled by nk a few month back... You need to pack up you typing fingers and hop off the band wagon.. Even the evili america was going to give the 400m.

Just move to north korea, im sure it would be simple.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join