It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Panic at the Pumps in the UK.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by darthdamo74

On topic my local petrol station was busy but I wouldnt say it was down to panic buying. Its always busy this time of day, I went to the supermarket and had to wait for one car to move before I could fill up, fishing trip this weekend so filled up just in case
edit on 29/3/12 by darthdamo74 because: dont let anoying flys ruin your day

I live in quite a small town but my girlfriend just got back from her friends in the city, and guess what it was mental loads of ques and a couple of em closed, and the supermarket I went to busy at 21:30 not normal.
especially as they are saying on the tv the strike hasnt even happened they are close to a resolve.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Correct me if I am wrong,
but couldn't MP Francis Maude be liable for his comments?

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Went to Tesco to do weekly shop, not only were the queues for fuel but there was panic buying for food as well. People rushing round as though the end of the world is coming. Last week I had half a tank of petrol so I filled up because I knew there would be panic this week when I read the tanker drivers were talking about strike action.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   
i saw a dyslexic person walking out of the petrol station today with a few cornish pasties.
turns out he was picnic buying

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Well, people panic over snow here in the UK. Most people don't think properly and do whatever their newspaper tells them to. Very embarrassing.

I love it when stuff like this happens though. It's an excuse to not do something (not that I drive anyway).

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by fakedirt

I am certain that they are releasing reserves to compensate for the oil barrel prices, and hoping this will translate to lower the prices at the pump.

Hate to use MSM, but here it is:www.foxbusiness.com...

However, I am concerned that because of the refinery issues (oil to petrol/gas) and yes, perceived problems with this in the US--if other countries have refined already?

Seems to me that would be more expensive to ship, but who knows? Crazy world we live in. In US, more reports of refiniers closing soon.

POTUS and Dept. of Energy Sec. are on record as saying UK/European model will wean us Americans off pump-happiness...but an election is coming up and so they seem to want to reverse their plans a bit?

edit on 29-3-2012 by BurningSpearess because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I passed 2 petrol stations on my bike today, both with cars queuing dow the road for quite a distance.

Tho one numptie pulled his car in right against the kerbstone to try and stop me passing him. I just rode round him and flipped him off knowing that he wasn't about to give chase and lose his place in the queue.

Last time I saw queues like that was 2000. Silly drivers. Just get a bike. The only fuel they need are pasties. Oh wait.....

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I drive for a living, so this will eventually affect me, but the thought occurs to me that this is a cover for something else.
When 9/11 happened, a junior Government person said it was "a good day to bury bad news", well, what has the Government sneaked out under the radar of this petrol panic?
I have seen and heard reports of policy decisions being 'announced' in written answers, and deposited in the Commons Library, so the issues do not get a public airing, and nobody knows about them until it is too late.
This stinks of an underhand tactic to get some obnoxious piece of legislation onto the statute books without anyone noticing.
We shall see in the coming weeks whether this is the case.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by BMorris
I passed 2 petrol stations on my bike today, both with cars queuing dow the road for quite a distance.

Tho one numptie pulled his car in right against the kerbstone to try and stop me passing him. I just rode round him and flipped him off knowing that he wasn't about to give chase and lose his place in the queue.

Last time I saw queues like that was 2000. Silly drivers. Just get a bike. The only fuel they need are pasties. Oh wait.....

Whats this im hearing about a pasty shortage? does anyone know specifically what types? is it cornish? do we still have plenty of cornbeef? Ive heard the dyslexics and the cyclists are panic buying them. ATS, do we need to start worrying yet? could sausage rolls be next?

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   
During the last petrol tanker strike, essential vehicles were permitted to refuel directly at the refineries.

Essential vehicles being, Ambulances, Fire engines, Police, some delivery wagons(foodstuffs), public transport.

Non-essential being white van men (who sometimes delude themselves that they are essential), taxi's, private cars.

I am assuming that if the strike goes ahead, and I dont believe it will, the same thing will happen.
edit on 29/3/2012 by BMorris because: Spelling

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by thedoctorswife

Its not a shortage, per-se, but for some reason I can't fathom, the government has ruled that a 20% tax will now apply to hot baked goods. Previously they were tax-exempt, being foodstuff.

Pastie Tax

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Its hilarious really. There hasn't even been a strike announced yet and they have to give 7 days notice anyway. So those filling up on petrol will have run out again by the time they even announce a strike... and here I was thinking people had a little bit more sense than that.

Anyway, the government has told everyone not to panic. Great... when you tell someone not to panic, what is the first thing they will do? PANIC. I honestly think that the people running our country are total idiots sometimes.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Oh, and they can tax cornish pasties. Don't like them. But leave the cheese and onion ones alone!!!!

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Noviz
Its hilarious really. There hasn't even been a strike announced yet and they have to give 7 days notice anyway. So those filling up on petrol will have run out again by the time they even announce a strike... and here I was thinking people had a little bit more sense than that.

Anyway, the government has told everyone not to panic. Great... when you tell someone not to panic, what is the first thing they will do? PANIC. I honestly think that the people running our country are total idiots sometimes.

Agreed, the country's going to the bloody dogs, its a whole another WEEK before the strike, i dont have a car, but i borrow my dads, i jumped in this morning, started it up, ive never seen the gauge so full, he couldnt have got more juice in. Your right, dont panic means Panic!

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by BMorris
Oh, and they can tax cornish pasties. Don't like them. But leave the cheese and onion ones alone!!!!

Well now, i know the mods gonna get annoyed in a minute and i promise i wont make another post about pasties, but yes, cornish pasties really are minging. However they do a nice one in the sainsbury hot counter, actually no gristle in it, proper meat.
NO MORE pasty talk i promise.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by diddy1234
I will continue to drive at 80mph with full aircon on.
I will still get 48mpg and 450 miles a full tank.

What the heck are you driving???? A moped?

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   
this reminds me of the so called fuel shortages of the 1970s in the usa,people have to stop taking most politicions seriosly.every time t
heir lips move they lie,maybe they were conducting an experiment to see how people would react,just a thought.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   
i am pretty sure there will be a few cars getting their tanks siphoned out or worse a screwdriver shoved through their tanks.why panic if its going to run out one tank is not going to make much difference .
to the person who said about panic buying food that makes more sense than queuing for fuel does especially with a large family to feed .
if i was the owner of a fuel station i would run it myself whilst letting the my employees strike fuel should not be messed with by striking as said earlier they are causing potential death and suffering its like hospital staff or police striking .
i believe the government should have volunteer groups trained to step in and run vital components to the economy if needed .i do however believe they need to be paid fairly and that needs to come from the fat cats at the top without customers being served there would be no billions in their accounts.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   
the usa produces more oil than it consumes now, and we still pay more. why? because our oil belongs to multinational corporations intent on exploiting americans, while our intelligence agencies and foreign policy and military support this corporate rape against national sovereignity

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join