It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Panic at the Pumps in the UK.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by JonoEnglish

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
reply to post by Flavian

So why do you believe they are striking, if they have such a cushy job?

Greed in this case. It's not only the Elite who have that trait.
edit on 29-3-2012 by JonoEnglish because: (no reason given)

Greed is when you want something you do not have. These drivers are trying to protect what they already have not ask for more.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Extralien
reply to post by JonoEnglish

This is not mostly about laws, although law does play a part..

Having a civil agreement not to harm each other is different from having laws that prevent harm.

Much more civil, don't you think?

the moment any law comes into power, or person, or controlling system for that matter, is a bind on your/our personal freedoms.
Anything that binds is a controlling device and therefore, in this instance, enslavement.

Luckily for many modern civilized societies, this is all masked over and called a democracy where you can be less of a slave if you are lucky enough to earn more money than anyone else..

Yeah but to have a civil agreement you must have agreement of each individual to that agreement. What if those people hell bent on violence don't agree to it? You have to enforce a law onto all.

to say we are slaves is like saying we are all dying. Both true but in reality not really.
edit on 29-3-2012 by JonoEnglish because: oh dam grammar

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by JonoEnglish

reply to post by Flavian

So why do you believe they are striking, if they have such a cushy job?

Greed in this case. It's not only the Elite who have that trait.

Greed is when you want something you do not have. These drivers are trying to protect what they already have not ask for more.

i thought you said earlier it wasn't about money but health and safety?

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   

I am not totally inhuman despite external appearances but I think you are confusing the issues. I would also imagine that emergency do not fill their vehicles at normal petrol stations. It's been 20 years since I lived in the UK but speaking of my Dutch knowledge, industry (and I would imagine, government services) use untaxed fuel for financial reasons. This is not available at consumer outlets in order to combat private use of non-levied fuel.

Holland and I believe the UK also have the highest taxes or levies on fuel. The government always wins, even in times of need. Now that to me is the real source of the problem, not to mention the global stranglehold that fuel companies have on the whole business. I also believe that does not negate a person's right to lawful strike regardless of the consequences. I know for a fact that even when doctors, nurses and law enforcement strike there is always a skeleton crew left to cope with any and all emergencies. They only "turn off" the non-essential/life-threatening stuff.

As for people sitting in their own mess, many do while still supposedly being cared for. The health service leaves much to be desired but at least it is not yet in the hands of a global private corporation. Not yet....

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

Yeah but this isn't a strike about petrol prices. Sure the government should and can cut the tax on it. However, they will take from elsewhere. Certainly not the rich.

I don't even agree to strike or undertake blockades of depots due to overpriced petrol. Again, you're hurting people, sure, not the many but the vulnerable. That isn't right.

edit on 29-3-2012 by JonoEnglish because: grammmur

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
This all started when Rupert Murdoch's Sky News kept asking Francis Maude for an answer, he couldn't think of anything else and replied with the Jerrycan sentence, he probably thought it as a one of them small fuel cans, I bet lots of people will get that mixed up. After that interview, the media took a few words and plastered them all over the newspapers and channels as official advice.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   

I do get your point on this last post of yours but...(I like big buts and I don't know why) perhaps we should be making court cases against the supplying companies for the financial and human damage they are doing instead of focusing our attention on the poor employees? It is easy to point a finger but often in our haste to do so, we point at the wrong people, not the people who profit from this important trade. Just a thought.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver

(I like big buts and I don't know why)
Plenty of larger ladies around where i live.

It is easy to point a finger but often in our haste to do so, we point at the wrong people, not the people who profit from this important trade

Totally agree

I think the problem is we sometimes we don't always look at the bigger picture, cause and effect and the implications of our actions or support of other peoples actions. I'm guilty of that.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by UKLionheart
I believe this is a doubel whammy really.

It's not just about the strike, but is there not a 3p per litre rise due on 1st April?

Ignore me, this rise isn't until August! Haha! I was creating a panic in my own mind!

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I think people who queue up for an hour on a busy main road when their tank is already 3/4 or more should be treated like rioters and have water canons used on them to try and knock some sense into them.Get rid of ALL the panic buyers and there won't be a fuel shortage.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   

We are free, not slaves

I sure hope you can see the irony in that as you would deny some the right and freedom to strike and thus enslave themselves to their employers etc.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn

We are free, not slaves

I sure hope you can see the irony in that as you would deny some the right and freedom to strike and thus enslave themselves to their employers etc.

Owned lol

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   

We are free, not slaves

Should we also have the right and freedom to murder and steal? Sure, not in the same league as strike action but neither is slavery.
I'm not saying make strikes illegal, just to those who work in key sectors which affects the WHOLE Country.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74

We are free, not slaves

Owned lol

Ha ha

Read above

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Whenever i see these petrol stations all piled with cars i just facepalm cant beleive people are so quick to jump to panic mode and nothing is even happening... I am a driver but seriously cant believe people are this stupid and dependant on petrol.

I bet in two, three weeks time when propbably the only thing that will happen from all of this is the people gaining a massive profit on petrol

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   

I'm not saying make strikes illegal, just to those who work in key sectors which affects the WHOLE Country.

It's quite funny that people are saying that tank driving isn't that hard or important whilst at the same time are panicking and advocating outright banning of striking for tank drivers.
Can't be that unimportant then can it?

So you advocate making striking illegal for any occupation that may have an effect on someone else?

Who decides what a key secrtor is?

And once you ban the right to strike how soon do you think it will be before conditions and wages etc start deteriorating in these sectors?
How many people would be attracted to these occupations under such circumstances?

I'm sure with an attitude like that Cameron will be able to find a role for you somewhere in his drive to take this country back to Victorian times.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Ban striking??

Oh man.... some people eh?

Anyway... pretty crazy around here too... Oxfordshire.

I genuinely had to fill up, literally empty, below the red line, not good..

I went and queued up for like 15 mins... it's NEVER that busy... and with prices higher now than ever before in history, it's a feckin piss take too.

People are nuts.

Filling up extra things (only a few, not all)

Some dude in a nice big brand new range rover.... clocking £90+ on the meter.

Man... crazy times ahead.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
This whole situation shows the stupidity and gullibility of the general population. How easily they are led!

God forbid if there was a truly serious crisis affecting this country.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I think the government needed to make some quick money plane and simple but what for? I wonder how much the government would have taken in fuel duty by the end of this week.

The issue of the tanker drivers is irrelevant. PTB do what they want you lot should know that by now. Sure they might come to a “compromise” but PTB always win and we always loose. Rich mans world.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Its better to have and not want, than to need and not have.... i guess

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join