It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Panic at the Pumps in the UK.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Well the government have managed to create their own crisis here in my opinion. Yesterday we had MP Francis Maude encourage people to stock up on fuel only to retract the statement hours later. The media jumped all over this and now it's got to the point where it's actually difficult to get into a petrol station. Diesel seems to be out at most of my towns filling stations.

There isn't even a strike taking place at the moment and fuel supplies are being delivered as normal. Yesterday petrol sales rocketed by 81%.

Dorset police have called back to say that five garages were asked to close due to queues causing traffic congestion – four in Bournemouth and Christchurch and one in Weymouth. They all did, briefly, and are now open again, a spokeswoman says. No need for the people of Dorset to panic, I ask? "That's quite right," she says.

www.guardian.co.uk...

This has been caused by Politicians who don't think before they speak which ensued a media frenzy. we certainly will be in a mess if this is the publics reaction to a perceived fuel shortage.

The fuel panic crisis descended into further chaos today after a police force ordered petrol stations to close because of the huge traffic jams the shortages were causing.
Dorset police ordered a temporary shutdown after dozens of stations ran dry and motorists formed long queues outside those still selling fuel, which they said were dangerous to other drivers.
There are now fears that other forces may follow suit. Petrol stations in Cambridge have already started rationing by limiting customers to £10 worth of petrol or diesel.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   

CX

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImaMuslim
post removed by staff

Replace the word "Brits" in your post and you could be talking about several nationalities there. Bit of a sweeping statement really.

Just for the record, i don't own a car, i do cycle everywhere, and i'm not fat.

CX.

Edit to add...just out of interest, which country do you live in? Not that i'll post anything rude about it, but it would be interesting.
edit on 29/3/12 by CX because: (no reason given)

edit on Thu Mar 29 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Sounds like a Observation tactic, To see what would happen if a fuel crisis really did happen. or when.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I'm sorry but I find this mass panic thing absolutely hilarious. Where I live, fuel shortages are a daily occurrence, we all live with it and carry on. Some people are just not well equipped for, ahem, "a crisis?" Its really funny watching how the large majority of the first-world population deal with petty things...epic fail.
edit on 29-3-2012 by Brad-H because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-3-2012 by Brad-H because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Panic is exactly the right word, though there wasn't any need to do so (unions are obliged to give seven days notice for a strike anyway).

comments by Francis Maude of jerry can stocking are misguided at best and I am waiting for the first 'shed explosion' story with baited breath

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by ImaMuslim

Wow what a rude person you are....

Back to the OT yeah it is a bit silly but like my wife has said to me today "Everyone is going to panic buy so we have to get some more fuel because we are going away at easter" so I went and filled up and tbh not to many panic buying near me.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
PROBLEM - REACTION - SOLUTION.

It's just another # disturbing tactic to create problems which entice negative and significant reactions to offer premeditated solutions that some will profit from while others suffer

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Aparently in Letchworth (North Hertfordshire) all of the Garages are out of fuel there.

On the news Dorset police have requested all garages in the county close to stop panic buying.

That wont work, it just makes the problem even worse.

Does anyone think its a government agenda before the end of the financial year ?

I will continue to drive at 80mph with full aircon on.
I will still get 48mpg and 450 miles a full tank.
edit on 29/3/2012 by diddy1234 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I wish they'd just make strikes illegal where people work in key services to the public. It's down to pure greed.

Sack the lot of them and give the positions to people who are desperate for such well paid jobs.
edit on 29-3-2012 by JonoEnglish because: (no reason given)

CX

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Just to add.....at least for many places in the UK, don't forget most of the kids break up for two weeks Easter Holidays tomorrow, so many of those you see at the pumps will be filling up to get away on their hols.

CX.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by JonoEnglish
I wish they'd just make strikes illegal where people work in key services to the public. It's down to pure greed.

Sack the lot of them and give the positions to people who are desperate for such well paid jobs.
edit on 29-3-2012 by JonoEnglish because: (no reason given)

Wow ok lets just let employers walk all over us then?
I have gone on strike because of a company tried to ignore our rights and it helped us all out.
It is our right to strike it helps the working class (Iam working class btw) sometimes its our only option.
If they paid nurses, teachers a decent living wage they wouldn't have to strike would they.
edit on 29-3-2012 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

I'm working class too but don't believe in strike action.

You apply for a job in a Company, if you don't like the conditions or pay, find that other job with the better level of pay and conditions. Not that easy though is it?

If you provide key services to the GBP you have a duty to do your job, which you are paid to do.Thik of how much money people will loose due to the inconvenience, think of how many old or disabled people will have trouble getting care due to the carers not being able to get to their appointments by car. I guess we can screw them because a few workers want more money.

It's blackmail pure and simple. we don't teach our kids to resort to blackmail to get their way, nor should we as adults do the same.

+18 more 
posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
*Quoted reply now since removed - cheers, Alien

On topic, this was probably done deliberately to demonise the tank drivers even before they start industrial action.
And as usual MSM plays it's role in manipulating public opinion in favour of more repressive action.
edit on 29-3-2012 by alien because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by JonoEnglish

How about when they change those T&C and expect us to just accept it?
The army has been drafted to make sure we don't run out of fuel, But some silly MP's have made comments that will make people panic buy.
I too am a carer and I have to travel using my own car to see my old geezers and if we do run out Iam blaming the silly MP who caused us to panic buy not the fellas just wanting a decent wage.
edit on 29-3-2012 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

MP's will always will say stupid things. If it weren't for those workers wanting to down tools, we wouldn't have those daft comments from the MP's in the first place.

Do you agree our fuel supply is a key service and that by applying for a key service job you have a duty?
or does that duty stop when you want a few quid extra?

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Given that we usually run on fumes anyway because of the price it costs my old man to get to work every week, the act of trying to buy a few more drops last night was a picture. Some total arse in a huge 4x4 not only parted without batting an eyelid with £150 on that fill up alone, he also had a boot packed with jerry can's to merrily fill.

Many tutts and the odd "tosser" was to be heard.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Seems to me the media had complete control over this, and decided to cause a panic. who knows ...maybe just TPTB probing the masses to see just how easily they can create a synthetic panic?

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by JonoEnglish

Yes they are important but so are Nurses and Teachers and I will stand by those as well when they are pushed enough to strike.
Like I said our government has put in precautions to make sure we will not run out of fuel.
The police were offered the right to strike if they gave up their overtime bonuses and are about to be balloted to say yes or no to it. They are the only public service at the moment who are not allowed to strike.
Everyone else has the right to strike whether you like it or not.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by ImaMuslim

You IM, are those people that warrent a type of response that will prove you are also a factor in their grief.of many.

Fat people that still have feelings are in my favor... Human conditions are what they are.. Outside elements are also questionable. Adding to the grief will not help. I see you having really no solution.

Please regress. otherwise your Avatar speaks differently.

Jesse

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join