It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Romney’s ‘Humorous’ Tale of a Factory Closing,then buys a 12 million dollar vacation home

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Really? I dont get the guy. This isnt about agreeing or disagreeing with his political views... But how many gaffes when it comes to being a boss and not an employee does this guy need to make before it isnt a gaffe anymore, and it just is who he is?

'My wife has two Cadillacs'... Buying a 12 million dollar home with a car elevator.... Bank accounts in the caymon islands to avoid taxes

Im not against people making money and spending it, but cmon people. Hes running for president. Its just stupid politics. If one wants to win an election, they just dont do these things DURING the election process. Does he really want to win, or does he just run for the sake of running? Its laughable at this point.

Mitt Romney opened a “tele-town hall” with Wisconsin voters on Wednesday afternoon with what he described as a “humorous” story highlighting his connections to the state. But not everyone found the story, about his father closing a Michigan factory, quite so funny. “You may remember my father, George Romney, was president of an automobile company called American Motors and they made Ramblers and Jeeps, and they had a factory in Michigan, and they had a factory in Kenosha, Wis., and another one in Milwaukee, Wis.,” Mr. Romney began. “And as the president of the company he decided to close the factory in Michigan and move all the production to Wisconsin. Now later he decided to run for governor of Michigan, and so you can imagine that having closed the factory and moved all the production to Wisconsin was a very sensitive issue to him, for his campaign.”

Mr. Romney continued, chuckling at points: “And I recall at one parade where he was going down the street, he was led by a band — they had a high school band that was leading each of the candidates — and his band did not know how to play the Michigan fight song, it only knew how to play the Wisconsin fight song. So every time they would start playing ‘On, Wisconsin! On, Wisconsin!’ my dad’s political people would jump up and down and try to get them to stop, because they didn’t want people in Michigan to be reminded that my dad had moved production to Wisconsin.” The story, however, struck some as a bit too close to home for Mr. Romney, whose opponents have said he closed factories and eliminated jobs during his tenure at Bain Capital, a private equity firm.

Democrats quickly pounced on the anecdote, citing it as another example of what they say is Mr. Romney’s inability to understand the concerns of average Americans. “Adding to his list of completely out-of-touch moments, today Mitt Romney recounted to Wisconsin voters on a tele-town hall a ‘humorous’ story about his father closing a factory in Michigan,” Lis Smith, a spokeswoman for President Obama’s re-election campaign, wrote in an e-mail. And the Democratic National Committee also began sending out links to articles recounting the moment, saying, “File this one under the ever-growing ‘Romney wealth gaffes’ category.”

thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com... umorous-tale-of-a-factory-closing/
edit on 29-3-2012 by bknapple32 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
I have no interest in voting for Romney, and I'm a Republican. Being rich doesn't bother me, all presidential candidates are rich. The Dems had John Kerry and John Edwards run together not too long ago and they were the wealthiest twosome of candidates to ever run. So if Dems are complaining about the rich they are just hypocrites. I want someone who is actually Conservative to vote for. Bush was halfway conservative, McCain was 10% conservative, and Romney isn't much better.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi
I have no interest in voting for Romney, and I'm a Republican. Being rich doesn't bother me, all presidential candidates are rich. The Dems had John Kerry and John Edwards run together not too long ago and they were the wealthiest twosome of candidates to ever run. So if Dems are complaining about the rich they are just hypocrites. I want someone who is actually Conservative to vote for. Bush was halfway conservative, McCain was 10% conservative, and Romney isn't much better.

If it wasn't clear... I wasn't complaining that he is rich. I do just fine, and congratulate him for making his money.... I was making a point that its just politically moronic to make these kind of lavish purchases , say these stupid remarks and expect to connect with the American people.

'Funny story for ya in the middle of a recession and horrid unemployment, its about my dad closing a factory and laying off a bunch of workers'

Give me a break Romney....

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by jjkenobi

Bush was no where near conservative.

He initially ran for office on a conservative platform, but his actions over 2 terms put the lie to that campaign promise.

It will either be Romney or Obama again, this is not going to end well. When was the last time the US had an honest President anyway?

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

When was Abe Lincoln the President ? I think that was probably about the last time anyone had an honest politician

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Kennedy was the last great politician....

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Romney has turned himself into a joke really. And come November when all is said and done he will be telling himself he lost because the voters were jealous of his success. Being rich doesn't bother most voters and it shouldn't. Romney's problem comes from something he doesn't know how to do that other successful wealthy politicians can do. He doesn't know how to make it look like he is in tune and aware of the problems average people deal with on a daily basis. To most voters he comes across as the guy who doesn't care about the country but is pursuing a promotion to say he did it.

The whole elevator for his car thing, honestly doesn't bother me so much on it's own. Mostly because no one has said why he is having it installed just that he is. Is it a two story garage and hes building up rather than out? Or is it because he is too lazy to walk down some steps to get to it?

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Someone ought to punch him in his face.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by FFS4000
reply to post by watchitburn

When was Abe Lincoln the President ? I think that was probably about the last time anyone had an honest politician

Honest Abe was anything but. He was one of the worst presidents America ever had. It was his actions that led to the federal government eventually gaining the power it has today. About the only good he did was ending slavery, and he went about that in the worst way possible.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by bknapple32

well....I guess we know what the opening sketch on SNL this next week will be...

they love ripping on these guys...

top topics

join