It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why be a Mod?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomtangentsrme

One question to add to the thread: What is the difference between a mod and a super mod?

genetics ?

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Mods be driving Ferraris and having hot chicks and be gettin paaaaiiid out the yinyang with all the trimmings, health plan, retirement plan, country club membership, use of the 220ft ATS Superyacht and Learjet fleet.

ATS Mods' Oscars After Party is the secret social event of the year for the worlds elite.

Big pimpin all the way folks!

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Jbird

Love it.

One other question (not specifically directed at you), Sometimes I see mods using a border explaining they are mods and the post is their own opinion, and they will not moderate the thread because they are participating it it.
Most the time I do not.
Does that have to do with forum assignments? Or something equity as obvious that I haven't picked up on?

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by randomtangentsrme

Those are available for all staff to use when posting as a member, we're not required to use them.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Afterthought
Honestly, when I was working with the general public in person and on the phone, the internet sure is takes the cake. I'd buy you all a drink if I could just for having to put up with the unnecessary, unprovoked harassment you all have to deal with. Some people just don't know when to stop poking the bear.

I truly appreciate that perspective!

Perhaps at this point I can admit a fair degree of consternation with the adversarial context in which some couch their sentiments. I usually can't ascertain whether it is due to a perceived need to impose control over a dialog, or simply because they choose to view all contact with a mod as a if we were a repugnant authority figure. Either way it rudely de-humanizes Mods; and I can assure you we are human (mostly
)

As I eluded before. In my opinion it's all about dignity. Perhaps it may appear an "out there" thing to profess, I am a firm believer in a few maxims of my own; among them is the one that goes: "Dignity is what occurs between people when they instinctively accept their inalienable equality." I tell my kids, "When considering how to speak to people, always remember how you would like to be spoken to yourself."

Of course, to respond to a member in such manner is unproductive unless the maxim already exists between them... I can't rightly say whether this is a tragic irony, because as we experience it more frequently than others, Mods often have no recourse but to laugh it off. I suppose it's just a human reaction.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Regenmacher
Forfeiture of playing the devil's advocate never appealed to me.

Freedom is bliss

Don't be fooled. Freedom is more than a state of mind. If you open your mind to it, no role can contain you.

Moderating can be constraining... but it is in no way a road that the dedicated can't navigate.

It like the cursing thing... when you are clever enough to make your point without 'having' to break the rules.... then you're there....

Some of the best such advocates are among the Mods... I know.... the locker room beatings are unforgettable.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

Cool. That one always confused me.
Can you (i.e. mods) participate in and mod the same thread?

BTW You all have a daunting task wrangling us members and I appreciate all of your time doing so
edit on 29-3-2012 by randomtangentsrme because: added wrangling us

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by StealthyKat

First rule with staff selections is anyone who asks to be a mod, won't get asked.

Ever.

Why anyone would want this thankless job is beyond me.

Regarding the poster who finds fault with the owners for not paying the staff, the site costs a fortune to run and we spend everything that comes in on things like upgrading the servers, providing y'all with weekly radio shows that can be heard on the internet and terrestrial radio (with nary a penny in revenue), books etc and we are constantly trying to find new ways to broaden our reach with the hopes that we can sustain ourselves and continue to provide the platform for your incredible content at the low cost of free.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Regenmacher
Forfeiture of playing the devil's advocate never appealed to me.

Freedom is bliss

Funny, I never gave that up.

Catching up:

There was a question on the difference between a Super Mod and a regular Mod. Regular Mods have assigned forums which they have edit and move thread powers. Supers can do it in all forums.

12make said we should be called Facilitators... for some reason the thought of Gopher from The Love Boat popped in my mind. Although technically he was the ship's Purser and I think they may have had him do the job of a Purser on like three episodes.

Nef neglected to mention one of his favorites that was interviewed on the Live show... Nick Pope.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jbird

One question to add to the thread: What is the difference between a mod and a super mod?

genetics ?

excuse me while i clean off this keyboard and screen.

too funny, J.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by neformore
reply to post by SonoraUndergroundLabs

OK. The clue is in the warning. Off Topic

It means that, for whatever reason, you decided to take this thread away from its gentle, refreshing banter and divert it to such a degree that the topic line you were taking it into could not be maintained along with the original premise of the thread.

Kind of like when your making a cheese sandwich, and you stop to go get a soda and your friend comes in, takes the cheese away and replaces it with bratwurst.

Is it the cheese sandwich you were craving any more?

No.

Its a bratwurst one. When you wanted cheese. No amount of bratwurst is getting you the cheese back.

So, it has to go.

Even in an OT forum, bratwurst is not Cheese

Capice?

This..... This is truly EPIC!

Then again, only YOU, Neformore, could come up with something like this.

Thanks for the great laugh, and a bit of a hunger pang. Off to grill some Bratwurst.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 02:08 AM
link   
This one time I had to calculate how much I get paid for modding to complete my tax return.

Apparently you can't divide by zero. Who knew?

This thread is a perfect example of why I enjoy modding so much. The gang can be great fun, Robin Williams couldn't be this funny if he tried, and they're also excellent at handling problems, swiftly and effortlessly.
And more importantly this thread also shows that mods are regular people just like any other member.

BTW, I've got pictures depicting exactly what happened between Crakeur and 12m8keall2c on that faithful first meeting. Bids will now open.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gemwolf

BTW, I've got pictures depicting exactly what happened between Crakeur and 12m8keall2c on that faithful first meeting. Bids will now open.

Isn't extortion against the T&C in some way, shape or form?

Would be epic to just post them in the thread.. lmao!

for entrepreneurial spirit, Gemwolf

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 02:12 AM
link   
How refreshing to see all the mods come out en masse to support this thread!!

If i could I would applaud you all for it!

I think its brilliant that you guys talk in here, just so members can see, that you are indeed human after all. Not some webbot computer program running behind the scenes.

Nice job you all!!

vvv

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by DBCooper71

Some of us spend so much time here, why not clean up the boards while you're reading!

*applauds for the mods*

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

No, I wasn't asking
Just curious.....and as for the paying comment, I just meant that as a compliment because you guys put in a lot of time and do a great job IMO.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Can you (i.e. mods) participate in and mod the same thread?

It's an unwritten rule that we should not. Doing so can lead to all kinds of problems, among them the obvious accusation that we might seem to be removing or editing posts which disagree with our own opinion.

Take any 10 page thread on politics, add a couple of mods posting liberal values and then see a few removed posts by known conservative members. The resulting automatic pm's go out for those removed posts with the liberal minded name attached or the edited posts show the same username as the participating moderator.

Voila: conspiracy! The accusation that those mods are censoring discussion in a thread they are active in.

Hope that was clear enough... not through my first cup of coffee yet.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Late to the show -- I'm on island time; that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

So mods what do you get out of being a moderator on ATS?

I was amazed and humbled when asked to join staff. At that time, I had been a member for a couple of years and ATS had become my second home. The ability to help preserve this unique site while adapting to its evolution is an honor. ATS never fails to surprise me, and not a day goes by that I don't learn something here. I think we all have something to learn and something to teach, and if I'm able to give back even a fraction of what I've gained from ATS, I'll be happy.

Are there any perks too being a mod?.

Many. Being a mod has caused me to get up to speed on some computer skills that I've been lazy about acquiring, such as BB code, functioning with several windows open, as well as organizational skills. I'm a patient person for the most part, and being a mod has taught me a bit of humility and empathy. Staff discussions are serious and often lengthy, but are also at times extremely funny and I love the camraderie.

I was asked to join staff after the ATS shirt and cup thang. Hoping for a hat someday; Since I shave my head and work outside, I think a small ATS logo should be cut into the back of the [future] hat, so that I have a tanned ATS logo.

As others have said, I also enjoy giving applause for a well-crafted, informative and/or insightful post. It's not unusual for me to disagree with all or part of a post and still applaud it.

Do you get paid or get any freebies for your time and effort?

As said, many benefits, however none that are monetary. Just one benefit is having a sounding board of friends that feels more like family; people I trust enough to completely be myself, and who are supportive and willing to tell me in a kindly way when I'm wrong.

Do you enjoy being a mod?

You bet! I wouldn't do it if I didn't.

Are there any drawbacks to being a mod?

Sometimes, when my time is short, I don't feel I have time for 'enjoyment' reading on the site, however that's my choice and not one imposed upon me.

and.....

I am required to wear more than a loincloth when modding. 'nuff said, other than to note that I'm not above using nudity as a weapon. Plus, the mandatory tracking chip sometimes itches.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Jbird

Not sure it was answered...

Mods have assigned forums, and can only moderate (mod functions) in those forums.

SuperMods can moderate ANY forum and have those functions in all forums, in addition to some other more global permissions. (and we get a cape).

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by StealthyKat

I know you weren't asking and the other comment was direct towards another post, by another member.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join