It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why be a Mod?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
reply to post by Crakeur

No Potter for you, eh?

tsk tsk

no, no potter for me although I dug the rides at universal.

more important, who starred this gem? fess up

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur

more important, who starred this gem? fess up

a muggle. ya dolt.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
All this time in ATS and now I know Mods work for free. That's terrible, since the owner(s) is/are making money with this. I have to thank the op for bringing this to the light.

Now I will be less bitchy with mods, but disappointed with the owner(s). ATS without mods would be like GLP.

Mods should have a benefit for the time they spend here taking all our bullets.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
When I was a mod all I got was frustration and annoyance from whiny people.

That's why I'm no longer a mod.

I don't know how they do it.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

We do. It's called a thick skin. We learn early on that being strong of spirit is one of the key qualifications to being a mod, because as with any authority figure, we're gonna take a lot of heat.

In other words, we're used to it.

TheBorg

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trueman

Now I will be less bitchy with mods, but disappointed with the owner(s). ATS without mods would be like GLP.
*shudders at the thought*

Mods should have a benefit for the time they spend here taking all our bullets.

We do get to laugh at the obvious when it's obvious, at times.

Personally,
I'd rather that staff be seen and monikered as Facilitators, instead of mere 'Moderators'.

Afterall, our sole and True purpose here is to mediate, monitor and aide or abet Members in their pursuit of and participations on the boards

't least in my opinion.(?)

For the most part,
We're here for You - the Members ... and I doubt there's a single member of 'staff' who'd argue the same.

*despite the occasional protestations, mentions, missives and personal grievances posted to the boards, from time to time*

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I love ATS, becoming a mod has been my goal since the get-go. But to answer the question I'd say being a mod is reward enough just check this place out, I haven't been on a website yet that compares.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBorg
reply to post by Trueman

We do. It's called a thick skin. We learn early on that being strong of spirit is one of the key qualifications to being a mod, because as with any authority figure, we're gonna take a lot of heat.

In other words, we're used to it.

TheBorg

Yeah, I know what you mean and I respect that. Anyway, I'm still mad with the owner, you guys spend time here doing a JOB.

This week the lottery in my area has a nice jackpot. I'll remember you guys if.......

www.megamillions.com...

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

After reading you post, all I can say is :

Take all my stars and flags, delete all my threads and bann all my posts and I wont be able to get mad with you mods. Sh*t....I got emotional.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
While I have not attained the heralded mod status here on ATS, (though I would not decline if I was invited), I was a mod before most of you were even born on Compuserve, Genie, and Delphi (circa 1983).

I wont even get into the details of the 110 baud acoustic dialup modem I had at the time or my Atari 400.

I give tribute to the moderators of this site though...you have your hands full with such an eclectic selection of people who are members here.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
According to my count based off of Greeneyedleo's post these are the staff who have not weighed in:

Founder: SimonGray
CEO & Community Director: Bill (SkepticOverlord)
COO & Marketing Director: Mark (Springer)

Administrator: Majic
Admin Emeritus: William One Sac

"Super" Moderators
AboveTopSecret.com, ADVISOR, alien, Byrd, chissler, DJDOHBOY, DontTreadOnMe, FredT,
Hellmutt, JacKatMtn, JAK, kinglizard, maria_stardust, Mirthful Me, niteboy82, sanctum,
Sauron, The Vagabond, TheBandit795, William One Sac, worldwatcher, yeahright,

Forum Moderators
argentus, ATSmediaPRO, Ayana, benevolent tyrant, defcon5, Dr Love, gallopinghordes,
GENERAL EYES, GradyPhilpott, Hefficide, Jbird, JohnnyAnonymous, Nerdling, nyk537, parrhesia,
Silk, Skyfloating, spacedoubt, Spiderj, TheRedneck, tothetenthpower, WikiEditor, WyrdeOne, xpert11,

I would say (with the permission of staff and members) that I wouldn't mind hearing from all staff who want to participate, and as long as they only answer the OP's post, should in this single occurrence, be still allowed to mod this thread so as not to leave it without some moderation.

I understand some may be away at this time, and at least one has left this plane of existence, but I think the information gathered here is of great benefit to the membership at large in understanding the role of moderators.

One question to add to the thread: What is the difference between a mod and a super mod? Is it time served? Better objective reasoning? Title preference? Better parking spots? Less pink? Et al.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I'm curious....how did you BECOME a mod? I mean, do you make a request for the job? Or is it offered to you? You guys really should be paid IMO
You guys do an excellent job.

Oh....one more thing...how is the title "super moderator" bestowed upon a regular mod?

**kneels befor the super mods** **....chants..... "I'm not worthy! I'm not worthy**
edit on 3/29/2012 by StealthyKat because: added content

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by StealthyKat

We were asked.

I'll never forget that U2U from Springer, I thought, oh crap, what have I done now...

The key is not to ask.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

Thanks for the reply....I just always wondered about that.
I know what you mean about the u2u....hehe.....

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   
  • So mods what do you get out of being a moderator on ATS?
    I get to be part of an awesome team of other members who are also staff.
    I get to meet and get to know a lot of members I probably would never had the chance to meet as a member.
    I have the opportunity to help members solve problems...that is a good feeling.

• Are there any perks too being a mod?.
    Mostly, applauding members. That is a very cool thing we get to do.

• Do you get paid or get any freebies for your time and effort?
    No, this is something I do in my free time, as a volunteer.

• Do you enjoy being a mod?
    Immensely!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Are there any drawbacks to being a mod?
    Probably the only thing is spending less time posting, starting new threads. Even staff like to think we still have that killer, everyone wants to post in it, dozens and dozens of pages thread in us

• posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:15 PM
    link   

Originally posted by randomtangentsrme

One question to add to the thread: What is the difference between a mod and a super mod? Is it time served? Better objective reasoning? Title preference? Better parking spots? Less pink? Et al.

they have a better buffet and bar

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:19 PM
    link   
    reply to post by greeneyedleo

and Pink Capes to wear !!! Don't forget the capes.

edit on 29-3-2012 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:20 PM
    link   
    Wow! Two bannings in one light hearted thread. ATS never surprises me. Seems some people just don't know when to stop throwing eggs while screaming "Please, show me your moderator powers!"

They got what they asked for.

Honestly, when I was working with the general public in person and on the phone, the internet sure is takes the cake. I'd buy you all a drink if I could just for having to put up with the unnecessary, unprovoked harrassment you all have to deal with. Some people just don't know when to stop poking the bear.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:25 PM
    link   
    reply to post by greeneyedleo

Those are the perks I guess.

Thanks for the answer.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:26 PM
    link   
    Forfeiture of playing the devil's advocate never appealed to me.

Freedom is bliss

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join