It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why be a Mod?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

Just out of curiosity, how many mods does ATS have in total?
How do these numbers divide up into compartments (forum mods, super mods, site admins)?

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I mistakenly thought I was joining the Ministry of Defence.

Seriously though, I love being a Mod because I genuinely like people, people of every stripe and way of life. I considered it (and still do) a chance to be of help to others.
ATS is a great resource as well as a diversion. It helps me to stay current on issues and events and keeps me mentally engaged.

As others have said there is a family atmosphere for staff members. We try to be there when others need someone to talk to just like they have been there for me.

I now have a bigger family and that is awesome.
Truly fine people on staff and it's a privilege to be working with them.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Afterthought
reply to post by Crakeur

Just out of curiosity, how many mods does ATS have in total?
How do these numbers divide up into compartments (forum mods, super mods, site admins)?

FORUMS PAGE

Founder: SimonGray
CEO & Community Director: Bill (SkepticOverlord)
COO & Marketing Director: Mark (Springer)
CFO Stephen (Crakeur)
Executive Admin: Djarums
Administrator: 12m8keall2c
Administrator: Majic
Admin Emeritus: William One Sac

"Super" Moderators
AboveTopSecret.com, ADVISOR, alien, asala, AshleyD, Byrd, chissler, dbates, DJDOHBOY, DontTreadOnMe, elevatedone, FredT, GAOTU789, Gazrok, Gemwolf, Hellmutt, intrepid, JacKatMtn, JAK, kinglizard, maria_stardust, masqua, Mirthful Me, neformore, niteboy82, sanctum, Sauron, semperfortis, The Vagabond, TheBandit795, William One Sac, worldwatcher, yeahright,

Forum Moderators
Ahabstar, argentus, ArMaP, Asktheanimals, ATSmediaPRO, Ayana, benevolent tyrant, burdman30ott6, defcon5, Dr Love, gallopinghordes, GENERAL EYES, GradyPhilpott, greeneyedleo, Hefficide, Jbird, JohnnyAnonymous, kosmicjack, Maxmars, Nerdling, nyk537, parrhesia, seagull, Silk, Skyfloating, spacedoubt, Spiderj, TheBorg, TheRedneck, tothetenthpower, WikiEditor, WyrdeOne, xpert11,

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Thank you!
I wasn't expecting that many details, but much appreciated.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   

You missed getreadyalready

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by haven123
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,$$$$
,,,,,,,,,,,$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
,,,,,,,$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
,,,,,$$$$$$$,,,,,,,$$$$,,,,$$$$$$$$
,,,$$$$$$,,,,,,,,,,$$$$,,,,,,,,$$$$$$$
,,$$$$$$,,,,,,,,,,,$$$$,,,,,,,,,,$$$$$$
,,$$$$$$,,,,,,,,,,,$$$$
,,$$$$$$,,,,,,,,,,,$$$$
,,,$$$$$$,,,,,,,,,,$$$$
,,,,$$$$$$$$,,,,,,$$$$
,,,,,,$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
,,,,,,,,,,$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,$$$$,$$$$$$$$$$
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,$$$$,,,,,,,$$$$$$$
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,$$$$,,,,,,,,,,$$$$$$
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,$$$$,,,,,,,,,,,$$$$$$
$$$$$$$,,,,,,,,,,,,$$$$,,,,,,,,,,$$$$$$$
,$$$$$$,,,,,,,,,,,,$$$$,,,,,,,,,,$$$$$$$
,,$$$$$$$,,,,,,,,,,$$$$,,,,,,,,$$$$$$$$
,,,$$$$$$$$,,,,,,,$$$$,,,,,,$$$$$$$$
,,,,,,$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
,,,,,,,,,,$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,$$$$$$$$

4 plus years and I am still waiting for that government cheque.

reply to post by Afterthought

That info is on the bottom left hand of the forum home page.

Seriously though, it's fun most of the time. I have a blast while I am here. Some days are more fun than others but everyday is a good day. I have got to know an awful lot of the staff personally and can say that they are an amazing, supportive, caring bunch, regardless of the common misconception that we are AI bots for secret alphabet agencies.

edit on 29-3-2012 by GAOTU789 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   

So mods what do you get out of being a moderator on ATS?

I like that I can advocate for members and contribute to keeping ATS a family friendly, civilized discussion forum.

Are there any perks too being a mod?.

As someone said, you get to know people you might not otherwise ever even meet. I, for one, have made a deep friendship that carried me through a very difficult time. It means a lot to me and it would have never happened without ATS.

Do you get paid or get any freebies for your time and effort?

We got a very nice golf shirt once that worldwatcher very kindly embroidered with the ATS logo.
I was going to post a pic but I see our old media site is now defunct. My husband wears the shirt all of the time and occasionally people will say something to him about ATS. Funny thing is, he has never even so much as read ATS. LoL! So he's like "derrrr..."

Do you enjoy being a mod?

*crickets*

Somedays yes, some days no - depends on what is percolating in society and on the boards. People can be both amazing and awful. Overall, it's privilege that I take seriously.

Are there any drawbacks to being a mod?

You know the old saying..."It's like making sausage". Tasty but you don't necessarily want to watch. LoL!

Also does your ATS page set up look different to us normal members, just like non members ATS page looks different to a members page set up.

Again, mostly the same. Except my message light is always on.

edit on 29/3/2012 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ben81

You missed getreadyalready

Now that I took another gander, William One Sac is no longer with us.
It seems as though the mods need an updated list of active mods.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I think most of my fellow mods have pretty much already answered the initial poster's questions, except of course, for Crakeur spilling far too many beans...
(and did you know that unicorn poop has glitter in it? that stuff gets everywhere...)

"What's the first rule of being a ATS Moderator?"

The first rule of being an ATS Moderator is that anything said in the mod forum STAYS in the mod forum.

It's like Vegas.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by DBCooper71

I've had some things in real life to attend to so haven't been modding much lately but here is the gist of things, IMHO.

As an organization addict, it's nice to have the tools to keep my favorite website organized. I might not be around as much as I would like or as much as I used to be, but when I am here it is nice to be able to 'fix' things. Also, as a people lover, it's rewarding to help members who need some guidance with site functions. The comradeship amongst the staff members is also a blast.

Are there any perks too being a mod?

As a nosy person who has to know how things work, it's nice being able see the behind-the-scenes action. As a member, it was always a mystery to me concerning how the site was ran so it's nice to see how things work for myself. Kind of an odd answer but it's the truth. lol I like seeing the cogs move behind the clock tower. I've said it a couple of times that if every member would watch behind the scenes for just one day, they would have a new found respect for ATS (not to mention all the conspiracies surrounding staff members would vanish). lol

lol It's all volunteer. I have never known forum mods to ever be paid workers on any forums. It's pretty much volunteer across the web. Although, as another mod mentioned, we got some pretty groovy ATS polo shirts.

For the most part, yes. Everyone will have their bad days but that's true about everything. And we all suffer from burn out from time to time (who doesn't?) but we always feel refreshed after a break.

Sure. You will often have a target on your back as being 'the man' who just wants to push people around (which couldn't be more wrong). Or you will get members that completely fly off the handle, flip out, make threats, and have a tantrum for the slightest of things like moving a thread to the correct forum. It can get pretty bizarre. However, most of our members here are awesome and understand we're just trying to keep the site on the up and up.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

WOS will always be with us xx Just with wings

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Neat thread.

First and foremost I love being here. This is my online home and my fellow staff members are
my family. I've been very fortunate enough to meet some of them in real life as well.

I love coming here and reading threads, I've learned so much over the years, stuff that I would
not have known or even thought about reading up on. Great place for information.

I enjoy being able to give back to ATS by being a staff member.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Forgive me if I am overstepping my bounds but this leads me to think of one more question to the Mods.

Has a Moderator ever been banned?

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by DBCooper71
Are there any perks too being a mod?.

Also does your ATS page set up look different to us normal members, just like non members ATS page looks different to a members page set up.

Why be a Mod?

Hmm... Interesting question....

Frankly, because I was asked. The invitation was quite humbling, actually. You see, the first and foremost image in my mind of abovetopsecret.com is that - whether by design or chance - ATS is a community. And despite the frequent heated debates, and varying points of view; I felt I "belonged." Much of the credit for that feeling goes to the Mods and members who welcomed me, tolerated my ignorance, educated me, and shared their views respectfully. It became something I more or less cherished as a relief from what I had been exposed to elsewhere on the net, and in the world.

How could I say "no" to an opportunity to "pay it forward"? Especially since I admire the idea that we all pursue rational discourse and reason over who can fling the most poo in the form of insults, denigration, and disrespect.

Why be a Mod? Because I try to embrace the exaltation of dignity as a mission. That's my personal reason.

It's an opportunity. Such things are not to be casually discarded. I enjoy being able to facilitate the exchange of ideas... and truthfully... hardly a day goes by that someone on ATS doesn't teach me something.

Are there any perks too being a mod?

Define perks. Special privileges?

Well, yes. It is my honor to have the chance to thank and congratulate (via applause) posters who prove themselves to be devoted to the idea that among the many things we must address between each other, ignorance is foremost. Don't get me wrong, it is not about agreement or accuracy for me; it's about sincerity, respect, and effort extended to expand everyone's horizons, perhaps to become the well-educated and well-informed people we all desire each other to be - for everyone's sake.

For me, being a mod is in no way akin to being a celebrity, or an authority; and extends nowhere into the realm of ego. It is a responsibility, it is a chance to return something in the way of gratitude to all the members... even the ones who insist - or refuse to believe - we are not sincere. An opportunity to serve is a perk to me.

I did receive immense moral support from the team when I needed it. That's a perk too.

No. It's not that kind of relationship. What I get from my time and effort is satisfaction that I alone am responsible for. It's works better that way.

Of course. Always seek to love what you do. This golden opportunity empowers me to make the task enjoyable. Of course, like any effort in life, we struggle not lose sight of this, despite occasional missteps and misunderstandings.

Yes.

• You must care. Even when it is difficult. Often we can escape many things by not caring... a Mod has no such recourse... if you don't care... you can't really be an effective Mod... as I define it anyway.
  • You must offer something; being a Mod is not a venue for a personal power trip, or a tool for use to impose your views on others - even if you would want to.
  • You lose time to actually propduce content - which some of our Mods excel at. It is a regrettable trade-off.
  • It consumes time; moreso than being an interested party in a dialog, or engaging in a debate "for the fun of it."
  • Newer members and those poisoned by toxic cynicism often characterize Mods without knowing them or their minds, and refuse to allow them the latitude to express themselves as members. We all struggle with this aspect of the role.

But as you can see such drawbacks can be overcome by those dedicated to doing so.... I count myself fortunate to have been invited to help. Judging by the membership around here, I can't help but feel lucky.

I hope this adds to your understanding of Moderators... if you have any other questions - fire away!

edit on 29-3-2012 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
All I see is biased supporters of ignorance. They shouldn't be closing threads because something is similar. One mod in particular seems to do things for no reason. This is freedom of speech and there is no t c violation here. Just a person showing his views about some people on it. So mods please stop doing biased deletes. I've also copied this post for future reference. Just in case it magically disappears. But anyhow if your a mod you should only watch and judge completely on t&c. Not personal opinions. Thank you.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Moderators are the same as members in that scenario, We have to apply to the T and C just like everyone else so if a mod fails to do so yes they can also be banned,

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by SonoraUndergroundLabs

Sadly we do have to close threads that are the same as others, We are a busy busy forum and to many of a current thread just gets people all confused,

If you feel a moderator has acted in a way they should not then please always make a complaint as it will be reviewed, and we are more than happy to explain via those means,

Also feel free to contact me, im always happy to help sort an issue out,

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
Being a mod does have a few perks.

Once we get our security clearance, we are privvy to a variety of government sites that detail much of the mysteries discussed here. I have, personally, manned the controls for the government's remote access aerial light device (raald) and I have to say, it was a blast (sorry stephenville).

We don't get paid any money but we, and our immediate families, will be provided with secured spots on the shuttle when the time comes. You'll learn more about this in the near future.

The hardest part of being a mod, besides the twice monthly blood and urine tests, would be lying to y'all about all the things you guys see and post here. It's very difficult to post about how unicorns and leprechauns aren't real whilst sitting in a room with a lep astride his tiny unicorn but, they tell us, it's for the best if you are kept in the dark.

Oh, and we all get cool "agent" names.

Unfortunately, we all get the not quite as cool "john" so, when the department head yells "john, get the raald up in the sky over california" to distract everyone from (insert any news item here), we all jump up and bang into each other in a mass grab for the controls.
edit on 29-3-2012 by Crakeur because: (no reason given)

Watch out......your sarcasm is leaking.

Seriously Crakeur, and with all due respect, that was one weird post.

If I may I'd like to add one more question to the OP's list though:

How much time is asked of a mod on any given day? Is there a certain amount of time and certain times of the day when you need to be active on the site, or is it more of an on-call type set-up?

If no one is at liberty to answer this, that's OK. I know where your office in Arizona is.

We have ways of making you talk!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join