It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What constitutes racism???

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Over the last week i have been following the very many many threads [without making any

comments] on 'Trayvon Martin - George Zimmerman'

This morning i was listining to the news [without watching] on the TV and heard about the

sentencing of a young man Shaun Tyson having shot two british young men in Florida. I looked

up at the TV and for the first time realised that the perpetrator was 'black'

This was the first time i had heard of this case and i wondered WHY there were no threads

on this case? when ATS has been inundated with 'Travon Martin - George Zimmerman' threads

as a 'racial issue'

Is it not the case that they are both racial issues ? So WHY is so much being made of the one

case and virtually nothing made of the other? To me the are both equally offensive...........

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by eletheia

I agree they are both equally as tragic. Anytime a life is lost it's tragic. The Zimmerman-Martin case is dominating the news for more reasons than race though IMO. I think alot of that case also has to with gun rights, and the "stand your ground" law.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 04:02 AM
link   
If you hate me because of the way I'm born, look, think and live then I think you're a racist. Every human thinks, looks and lives differently and we can all agree on that, so stop hating fools.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 04:07 AM
link   
reply to post by ImaMuslim

Well said. Disliking someone because you do not get on, you find them an idiot or whatever is totally normal and fine. Disliking someone because of the skin colour, religion or culture is plainly ridiculous.

Out of interest though, has there been little coverage of the 2 Brits shot in Florida? Been big news over here. They even proved they had nothing to steal on them and were shot afterwards.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

There really hasn't been much coverage on it at all, and I live here in Florida. The Zimmerman-Martin case has dominated every news station and newspaper down here for the better part of 2 weeks now.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Everyone is an idiot.

There. whew

it's rather dim in this pale grey background, eh.. where did all that black text go.. umm now this is worrying.

[color=MAROON]Ok guys, I'm freaking out now...

I..

edit on 29-3-2012 by mainidh because: fixed maroons..

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Racism is "the pot calling the kettle black"

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 04:20 AM
link   
reply to post by XxCanexX

It is pretty shocking in a way although i guess it shouldn't be really, what with world news every day. The guy who was convicted was caught on the phone asking where the crackers (?) were and then going looking for them. The 2 men shot had the pants down at the time - although not sure if that was a power thing or trying to desperately prove they had no money, watches, phones, etc on them - then they were executed (no other word for it).

Life sentence rather than death penalty because of the his age.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 04:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

I'm starting to think that this state is cursed. Race relations here in Florida are not the greatest, especially in my area, and I feel like these kinds of crimes are just pushing the divide further and further apart.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by XxCanexX

Race is such a crazy issue. Poverty should be the real issue. At the end of the day, it is poverty that leads to these crimes and subsequent social issues.

I see no difference between a poor white and a poor black family (insert other poor racial group) - they suffer the same problems, hardships, etc.

Resolve issues around poverty and i would wager a lot of the race stuff would fade away.......

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 04:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

What i understand from what i heard was that must have been part of the 'power trip'

and 'humilation' because they had been made to beg for their lives before being shot

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Because the shooter is black and the victim/s are white doesn't make it automatically a racist attack. Just as ANY offence where there are parties of different groups.

I mean, we live in the modern age, everyone here has internet access and you can't even look up the word racism?

A racist crime has to be caused by an element of racism. Very simple. The Zimmerman/Trayvon Martin Incident has been deem racist because of the suspicion of racial profiling by ZImmerman and also by institutional racism by the police department due to the disparity of how they treated each party i.e drug and alcohol testing the dead victim whilst not testing the killer, amongst many other failures.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 04:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

I agree completely. That's where you see a lot of racism manifest itself, but as tends to be the case in most situations the initial problem is overlooked due the consequences that arise from it. It does seem that the worse the economy has become, the more we have had race issues in the news.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 05:00 AM
link   
reply to post by eletheia

I think the main difference between the two cases, is that shawn tyson was arrested, charged went to trial and has been convicted.
Where zimmerman hasn't.

I think the media frenzy over the Trayvon killing is just a distaraction, divide and conquer, keep the poor people fighting amongst themselves, and the rich can keep on stealing your money.
edit on 29-3-2012 by DBCooper71 because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-3-2012 by DBCooper71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by spacedog1973

How would you describe "hunting for crackers"?

It was a game of attack the white man to him. That is not trying to stir up racial hatred, if you see my other posts that is definitely not my intention. What it is doing is stating fact.

However, again the real issue is poverty and greed. At 17, there is a chance of changing his ways. Sadly, with the US penal system the way it is, i do not think this will happen though.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 05:08 AM
link   
I actually feel a bit sorry for that Shawn Tyson in that he has clearly had a s*** life. No, that does not excuse what he did and he does deserve a life sentence but at the same time a better life would have maybe meant this situation never arose in the first place.

That is the real issue with corporate and financial greed - it is not so much that some are richer than others, it is the huge disparity in levels of wealth that create these social issues.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 05:15 AM
link   

My point was that in one case the 'perpetrator' was black and in the other case the 'victim'

was black, but only one of these cases seemed to be getting media exposure. IMO both

cases are equally offensive colour doesn't come into it.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian

How would you describe "hunting for crackers"?

It was a game of attack the white man to him. That is not trying to stir up racial hatred, if you see my other posts that is definitely not my intention. What it is doing is stating fact.

However, again the real issue is poverty and greed. At 17, there is a chance of changing his ways. Sadly, with the US penal system the way it is, i do not think this will happen though.

I read the report from the telegraph where it doesn't mention much apart from what seems to be a class divide and where Tyson was apparently mentally challenged? However, regardless, the obvious answer is the answer you gave; if the offence contained a racial motivation then it is obviously a racist crime. Why does something so obvious need a question?

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by eletheia

My point was that in one case the 'perpetrator' was black and in the other case the 'victim'

was black, but only one of these cases seemed to be getting media exposure. IMO both

cases are equally offensive colour doesn't come into it.

The answer is obvious.
The known killer is behind bars in one. In the other he isn't.
I question the reason for you asking a question so obvious. Since we know you at least listen to the news, how comes you haven't noticed the details of the TM and GZ case?

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 05:41 AM
link   

I was pointing it out as you seemed to be questioning whether or not it was a racist attack in your first post. Clearly there was a racial aspect to it so i was pointing this out. This racial element is also clearly demonstrated in the intercepted phone call between the shooter and his brother, from prison.

That said, it would also appear that i have made a mistake when i stated they had nothing on them. Actually, the bodies were found still with wallets (with cash still in) and a phone.

So, clearly racial (to a degree) but i still maintain poverty is the proper issue.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join