It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whistleblowin' Dr. OZ Confronts MONSANTO: Disease-causing GMO Foods Taking over Food Supply!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Bullypulpit

And what is the knowledge of which you speak?

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by AGuyfromTN
I watched the entire segment and was struck by a couple of things... in particular how GMO food could possibly affect allergies as well as the endocrine system. In the intro segment, Oz mentioned that GMO foods came onto the scene a couple of decades ago. I'm mid-40's and remember growing up very few instances where I met or knew folks with allergies. Nowadays, seems like everyone is suffering from some type of allergy. Additionally, the endocrine system "runs" or affects a lot of stuff in your body - growth, metabolism, mood, tissue function, reproduction, etc. Is it just me, but is there a timeline correlation with the intro of GMO foods into our food supply in the 80's/90's and the rise of obesity, sexual impotence, emotional stability, etc.? Not crying "fire in crowded movie house" here but the light-bulb went off over my head. Just my opinion.

I never considered a correlation between the two, but I think you may be on to something.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by moonzoo7

Thank you for connecting the dots.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by BiggerPicture

The world is a college of corporations inexorably determined by the immutable bylaws of business......... and the world is a business.

Give me five minutes and I will explain in this video below how MONSANTO is winning the fight and how it continues to win the fight....this has everything to do with the gangsters we are up against, the real problem of this world..... warning its a bit explicit

-Alien
edit on 3/29/2012 by Alien Abduct because: language warning

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mark_Frost

Originally posted by BiggerPicture

Originally posted by Mark_Frost

People will either learn to take it for what it is or others will move to Fiji, smoke weed and become vegan.

Everything but vegan. I would miss the Bar-B-Q. When do we leave?

Valid arguments by the way. It doesn't make it right, but they are valid arguments.

We've created a huge mess, I think. I could chuck my cell phone right now. I don't really need it ... or use it. Unfortunately, I can't live without a vehicle at this point in time, although I wish I could. I would rather walk. I know I will probably take heat for this, but I think it's not just the growth of technology in every aspect of our lives, I think there are just too many people on the planet ... and in the 'first world countries', to many self-absorbed people. And if this (GMO and toxic chemicals in the form of pesticides) is what it takes to feed all of us, it just isn't worth it. Quality of life issues ... oh well.
edit on 2012/3/30 by Another10Pin because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Another10Pin
reply to post by moonzoo7

Thank you for connecting the dots.

You're quite welcome. I knew I didn't trust her when I watched her.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Oh man. Not cool. I really enjoyed my occasional splurge on that water.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 12:38 AM
link   

I just watched the video you posted, and what popped into my mind was "Johnny apple seed", I don't even quite know the whole story, so going to look it up after finishing this post. My thought is that there might be someting to that old story? The one thing we can all still do, is collect and share is seeds, Monsanto doesn't have them all yet, might be an even better investment then gold

edit on 30-3-2012 by MountainLaurel because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Mark_Frost

Two things.

First, I clicked on the link, what is it you want us to read? And what kind of web site is this, exactly? I am a 'sheeple', so please indulge my ignorance.

Second, in regards to your comment about YouTube Videos, have you ever read the book The Alphabet versus The Goddess by Leonard Shlain? It's a light read, you might be interested. Then again, maybe not.

Anyway, it's been some years since I read it, but if I remember correctly, his primary hypothesis is that with that advent of the alphabet, a more masculine society developed due to the use/overuse of certain areas of the brain associated with reading ... to the detriment of the feminine side of society.

Another one of the proposals in his book is that with the advent of film, television, and image-based advertisement, our current generations are moving away from reading and into more of the image aspect of information gathering and understanding, therefore reinforcing the feminine aspect of society.

And although I don't recall him stating it, I am sure it will be to the detriment of the masculine aspect of society (use/overuse).

At any rate, I got the distinct impression that your comment regarding the use of YouTube Videos came from sarcasm, and only sarcasm. My point would be that no matter the source, written or image based, there is fiction and non-fiction. There is propoganda and fact. There is a mix of both. I don't know that I would completely disregard a bit of information just due to that fact of what form in which it was presented. Just sayin ...

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Hi everybody. I'm actually in the process of getting a degree in biotechnology for the express purpose of working with genetic engineering and having seen so many misconceptions and untrue statements in this thread I thought that I would try to deny ignorance about a field that is unfortunately very misunderstood.

To the best of my knowledge and research, Bt corn is perfectly safe for human consumption. It is created by the inclusion of a single gene from Bacillus thuringiensis. For those of you who might not be familiar with how genes affect the biology of an organism, genes encode the genetic information to produce a single protein. Therefore, Bt corn is in all other ways exactly like corn except that it produces only one single form of the protein which makes Bacillus thuringiensis an effetive, and organic approved, pesticide for use against caterpillars. In fact, because in order to be lethal at all the protein must first be altered by an enzyme specific to the digestive tracts, both the organic approved bacteria which is the source of the Cry toxin and Cry toxin itself are very selective and harmful only to caterpillars. I don't know if anyone has ever seen or even heard of the show "Manic Organic", but there was a segment where he sprays a solution of Bacillus thuringiensis into his mouth to prove that there was no harm to humans from the bacterium and its Cry toxin which he was spraying joyfully onto his field of organic crops.

Regarding the speculation that genetic engineering is causing food allergies, there have been instances where genetic engineered products have caused allergic reactions which have been discovered during their safety testing, such as a soybean that was engineered to produce a protein using a gene from Brazil nuts in order to produce a more nutritionally complete amino acid profile in soybeans. This is, in fact, a wonderful discovery because it allows us to know exactly which proteins are responsible for the allergic response that people have to common foods, such as nuts and shellfish, and may offer us the potential to someday produce strains of nuts and shellfish that are free from these same dangerous, life threatening allergens. The soy bean in question never made it to market because of concerns about safety.
www.nejm.org...

Genetic engineering of food crops is generally intended to make foods more successful when grown under current agricultural normals, safer for consumption(preventing insect damage creates a crop with less mycotoxins from fungi), or more nutritious, such as with the attempted soybean or with Golden Rice, a rice which is full of beta carotene. The people who are genetically engineering your food are not sadists trying to poison the world, they're mainly humanitarians trying to feed the world through applied science.

And absolutely none of this should be read to suggest that Monsanto is not huge, horrible, and responsible for lots of problems. They're totally corrupt, but that's a business issue separate from any genetic engineering technology that they have unfortunately tarnished the image of through the infamy of their name.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Alien Abduct

I hate rap. I used to like the hip-hop of the 70's and 80's. But I really hate rap.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by 1nfiniteLoop

Hey buddy, how are you doing. I see that you have thought out your presentation in an amiable manner. I have a qeustion for you. Have you ever done something based on gut-instinct?

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by 1nfiniteLoop
Bt corn is perfectly safe for human consumption.
Cry toxin and Cry toxin itself are very selective and harmful only to caterpillars.

Only caterpillars? The following link to research shows Cry toxin protein from Bt corn and potatoes were actually able to bind to the instestinal cell wall proteins and alter the physiology, among other things in other mammals:

www.organicconsumers.org...

An Egyptian laboratory showing the Cry1 toxin, either fed alone or in transgenic potatoes to mice, led to hypertrophic and other changes in gut ultrastructure. Dr. Mae-Wan Ho has reviewed recent findings on the mammalian toxicity of Bt toxins. Her reports include observations on the death of cows fed GM fodder, survival of transgenic DNA during digestion and binding of Bt toxin to the intestine of mice. Some of the studies in those reports are mentioned below. Cry1Ac toxin was observed to bind to the cell surface proteins of the mouse small intestine and caused changes in the physiological state of the intestine.. Cry1Ac toxin was a potent immunogen, more potent than cholera toxin. These few studies have made important breakthroughs on the impact of Bt toxins but are seldom followed up vigorously, a serious mistake considering the widespread consumption of unlabeled foods containing Bt toxins. Furthermore, the adverse findings seem to be seldom mentioned in regulatory reviews. The behaviour of transgenes and toxins in the mammalian digestive system is crucial to evaluating their impact on the animal. Pigs fed maize containing Cry1Ab were found to have quantities of the Cry toxin genes and toxin protein; and Cry1Ab protein was not totally degraded in the digestive system. Pigs fed StarLink (Cry9c) maize were found to have about a quarter of the ingested Cry genes in their rectal material, showing that the genes were only partly degraded during digestion.

Here's a list of 65 Health Risks of GMO Foods

www.responsibletechnology.org...

edit on 30-3-2012 by BiggerPicture because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Oh my goodness, you seem to be a sincere human being, and you went out on a limb to share your thoughts and your work in what's likely to be a "hostile" environment. Clearly your smart, and also young, your being "inducted" to defend something that isn't right.

To my horror my 21 yr old daughter recently "spouted" NWO and New Age ideas in terms of "buying" into the idea that "there are too many people, and people are bad" totally a "soft sell" of what the plan actually is, and my child, my baby...has no idea what's happening, and I'm at a total loss on how or even if I can clarify things for her. How to discuss everything that's going on with our kids is complicated to say the least, a moral dilemna.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 02:22 AM
link   
There are no links to any of the studies, nor can I find any studies published in a respectable journal that say any of what that link is stating. I'm sorry but since the original source material of this I-SIS group is blocked to me I can only argue that the site itself is misleading in order to promote the organic food industry. Parts of it, frankly, just read as jibberish. Why should I be afraid that pigs were passing DNA and undigested Cry toxin in their poo? Wouldn't that mean that the genes weren't forcing themselves into any genomes and the toxin wasn't punching holes in the pigs' stomachs?

Regarding the study that "showed" Bt potatoes causing intestinal damage when ingested by mice, the use of potatoes in the experiment has me wondering if it was not the result of another toxin? (www.biotech-info.net... ) If this is the study shown in the source, I do not see any significant harm caused by the diet. Given that the control group in this study is about as bad off as the GM variety, I wonder if there is any relevance to the studies which show that glycoalkaloids, which are present in potatoes, cause intestinal inflammation and permeability? www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov... It makes me wonder why they would choose to test potatoes in a study of Cry pro-toxin in GM foods when other sources of GM foods with Bt exist that are not inherently full of toxic compounds naturally and variable in their inherent toxicity. Potatoes, of different varieties, sources, and ages each containing variable levels of inherent toxins which cause inflammation and other intestinal maladies does not sound like a very controlled study of the effects of Cry pro-toxin or GM food safety at all!

I can also speculate that, if any of the information regarding Cry toxin dangers to humans were true, that we should be quite afraid of organic produce given the extent to which they are sprayed with the original bacterium source itself and the wide variety of Cry toxins produced by the original bacterium. Such fears are not widespread and it is still one of the most widely used and available organic pesticide. I bought some from the local garden store, unfortunately a bit too late to save last year's tomatoes.

If it is of any interest, this link explains the mode of action of Cry toxin with picture aids, in case anyone likes pictures. I know I do :-)
web.utk.edu...

The Cry toxin protein found in GM crops is a protoxin. It only becomes toxic when degraded by specific enzymes which are specific to a small range of insects. That is precisely why organic farmers spray their fields with the bacterium, because the toxin harms only the targeted pests without harming the beneficial insects they seek to cultivate on their fields or the people eating their crops. That is precisely the reason specific forms of the Cry toxin have been engineered into foods that, after undergoing safety testing and shown to be safe, have been allowed into the food supply.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Another10Pin

The last time I listened to my gut, I found myself with a spoon in one hand and an empty jar of peanut butter in the other that had been full nearly twenty minutes prior!

reply to post by MountainLaurel

I hope that you're not suggesting that GM foods cause misanthropy in teenagers! I assure you, misanthropic teens have been around long before genetic engineering

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Thats just the thing, with Organic produce there is bt already naturally in the soil and/or if any sprayed on the surface which can be washed off. Whereas GMO crop produce/contain the bT in every plant cell we eat is just ludicrous.

www.gmfreecymru.org...
Of course bt potatoes were tested because they are commercially available. And GMO Corn was also linked to organ damage. Here are 19 other studies (below), I don't know how much they reference but its better than referencing nothing at all, which is Monsanto's stance, that they don't test on humans because they're going to assume it's safe until proven otherwise (and they're not worried about court as they have leverage even in Supreme Court). Are all these multiple studies showing side effects from GMO crop all fabricated? Perhaps some but highly unlikely all. So there is evidence out there but Monsanto is holding its own red tape.

www.organicauthority.com...

but not as much yet in Europe..

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:34 AM
link   

Again, without the actual studies, not biased commentary on anti-GMO sites, there is no information to argue beyond the interpretation of non-scientists with political agendas or financial incentives. I can say that, from what I've read, apparently both regular and Bt potatoes are toxic according to the commentary, at least one study was funded by Greenpeace and was published in a dubious journal, and it appears that the other studies were on small groups which would greatly exaggerate any statistical data that might have occurred as a result of individual differences in cows.

I can provide some links that show that, consumed long term, Bt crops are safe if you would like.
www.biofortified.org...
www.cattlenetwork.net/docs/forum/gmo_forum/Studies on feeds from genetically Anim Feed Sci a Techn.pdf

This second is a link to a PDF which contains 18 animal studies, none of which indicate harm from Bt feed. These are studies done by people who would profit by having the healthiest, most productive animals. If Bt feed was killing or harming animals, especially livestock, they would not be purchasing it as feed since it would decimate their livestock and ruin them financially.

www.foodsafety.ksu.edu...

As discussed here relating to the EPA's response to a Greenpeace petition to essentially ban Bt crops, the EPA has done extensive safety testing of the effects of Bt crops on a variety of environmental organisms. The gene is the same as found in the bacterium, and is not a novel or more dangerous version as Greenpeace would like to fabricate.

As a side note, I actually worked for Greenpeace for a short period of time. I was involved in trying to raise awareness of the dangers faced by the world's current fish populations. After being told that fish farming was going to destroy the environment and that Greenpeace promoted the consumption of only wild-caught fish as a part of this campaign, I realized that they were a political organization with too many conflicting positions and were really more interested getting member donations to fund legal fees due to the fully or at least plausibly illegal nature of some of their activism. Anything coming from or connected to Greenpeace would be highly suspect to me.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:54 AM
link   
And while we're discussing the hypothetically toxic nature of a pro-toxin on non-target species, I should reiterate that GM grain contains far less actual toxins from fungi which are harmful to humans and livestock.

ddr.nal.usda.gov...

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 04:02 AM
link   

ok ok

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join