It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jeff Bezos Plans to Recover Apollo 11 Rocket Engines From Ocean Floor

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Billionaire Jeff Bezos announced plans to recover from the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean at least one of the F-1 engines that carried the Apollo 11 rocket into space.

Bezos reported Mar. 28 on his blog that a team of engineers has recently used state-of-the-art deep-sea sonar and found the Apollo 11 engines lying 14,000 feet below the ocean’s surface. He wrote that he is currently making plans to raise them.

The F-1 engines were used on the giant Saturn V rocket that carried the Apollo landing module out of the Earth's atmosphere and towards the Moon.

www.bbc.co.uk...

www.wired.com...

I wonder what kind of condition they would be in after all this time?
We are talking some seriously large engines here!

I also wonder what's in it for him..........after all would they be just pieces of rusty junk?

Anyway.........enjoy

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptainBeno

I doubt that he will be allowed to do that on his own without a government contract or a bunch of "inspectors" looking over his shoulder. As with governmental ship wrecks, that stuff is still government property. And as old and as out-dated as the wreckage will be, the government will want first dibs on it.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

So the government waits till someone uses their own money to recover the engines and then conveniently claims it is theirs. I don't think so. Not gonna happen.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Salvage rights applies to them? They were not military so not automatically belong to the government even thought lost. Also they were abandoned on purpose?

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

From the wired article:

Bezos clarifies that the rockets remain NASA property. If one engine is raised, he imagines the agency would make it available to the public at the Smithsonian museum in Washington, D.C

Bezos doesn't care about the money. He wants the bragging rights.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL

So the government waits till someone uses their own money to recover the engines and then conveniently claims it is theirs. I don't think so. Not gonna happen.

You need to look a little deeper into who has the power here. That is government property.

CX

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Is it usual to just leave something of that importance at the bottom of the ocean?

I know it would cost to retrieve them, but after all, they did aid the first man on another planet EVER.

I just thought they would have been considered more important than that.

CX.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

They have spare's and also build 'replicas' for display. The U.S. government might have purchased the rockets but Rocketdyne has the rights of intellectual property. When the contract was awarded in 1959 to develop the F1 engine, Rocketdyne was a division of North American Aviation (NAA), and has since changed owners to Rockwell Corporation to form North American Rockwell, later part of Rockwell International, later Boeing bought em, and then sold it to today's holder, Pratt & Whitney, so I don't believe the technology is very elusive.

Countries can try to make claims on disposed parts or sunken treasures but in the courts the finder can usually win the rights of salvage. One would think in this case it should be a cake walk in court.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Its not government property if they left it out in international waters. Finders keepers.

new topics

top topics

join