It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is honor?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   
So due to the lack of honor i see these days i decided to talk about it.

one cannot readily describe honor simply because they do not have the answer predetermined in their head. instead they give examples of what honorable things are.

so i put together this video.

www.youtube.com...

describe to me in your own words what you think honor is
edit on 28-3-2012 by BulletShogun because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by BulletShogun

I would say honor is following your heart and your beliefs in the face of all adversities. Honor (IMO) is what you have when you refuse to sell your soul or sell yourself out to the highest bidder. Honor is not strictly for combat and military types, its for anyone who refuses to sacrifice themselves and their fundamental beliefs to anyone for any reason.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Your link is a malformed Youtube ID.

That being said, I think that HONOR is sticking to your principals, no matter what. Rob Roy is a very good example of this.
ETA: Watch this movie if you want some inspiration:
www.1channel.ch...
edit on 28-3-2012 by Q:1984A:1776 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   
IMNBHO (never been humble opinion)

Honour is:

1. Not sticking to your guns without re-examining every angle and perspective. Being humble enough to admit you made a mistake if you stand corrected.

2. Humility continued - Allowing others to keep their misinformed ideas ... because if we can't walk in their shoes ... we have no idea how they came to attain those absurd ideas and they may need them for some psychological crutch.

3. Not whispering, not telling secrets or gossiping, not talking family business at work, not talking behind somebody's back, not stirring the doggie pooh, and certainly NOT talking about intimate relationship(s) and intimate details with others.

4. Not responding to fools, trolls, or other contentious people. This lowers your level to theirs.

5. Not lying, stealing or harming others. Not lying includes white lies, grey lies, and lies of defense. It's still a lie. Not stealing includes shamming at work, not doing your best at work and stealing so much as a paperclip valued at a penny. These are all theft at some level. Harming others covers a HUGE but obvious area.

6. Not begging for help or advice when you can help yourself or have already made up your mind. This is self-serving attention getting which isn't honourable.

7. Judging fairly and without bias if called to Jury Duty or serving as a Judge. Not judging at all when you have no compelling reason or authority to judge.

8. Most of all - keeping your word and never ever making promises! Why not make promises? Because life is so unpredictable, you may not be here (living) at any time and you'd die with a broken promise (unkept).

Lost honour can never be regained in full.

edit on 29/3/2012 by Trexter Ziam because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 02:20 AM
link   

the word honor look like saying high and north when north is up then honor is the uppest height individual is being truly from aware

the principle say that any individual is honoroble

relative is to absolute superiority, otherwise relative cant exist when absolute exist only bc of its plus

so individual is not his needs or means or wills or relative reality, individual is that plus incarnation that can b constant whatever conditions joining it for him right constantly to one plus fact

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Honour is TRUTH nothing eles!
2nd

like scarface said "all i have in this world is my BALLS N MY WORD"
edit on 29-3-2012 by BULLETINYOURHEAD because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   
There is balance in the dualities. (Righteous / Evil) (Good / Bad). One pole of a duality can not exist without its opposite. Personally, yes, I favor the Right-Hand Path. But I know it does not exist without the Left-Hand Path.

With that said, I would describe 'Honor' as;

"Word is Bond, and Bond is Life."[/i

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   
When you can clearly see that doing the right thing in a given situation is going to suck to high heaven (for you), and you do it anyway, you're being honorable. It may end up not being the right thing, since who knows what the perfect right thing is in any given situation, but the commitment to doing what you honestly perceived to be the right thing in that situation, in spite of the obvious price to your own self in doing that right thing, is honor. It's directly opposing the instinctive urge for self on behalf of a perceived greater good.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Equating 'Honor' with good, righteousness, caring, helping, empathy, etc....

Groups that you would consider evil, wrong, or crazy... there is an old saying, "Honor amongst thieves."

Do you believe there is no honor amongst those who follow a Left-Hand Path? Honor amongst the ranks of the Nazis? Honor amongst radical fundamentalists? Honor amongst cartels, mafias, and gangs?

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Honor,

Is the defence of truth and justice, the usher of respect granted as respect is taken.

The core moral value of what is noble and just in the face of deceit and criminal sickness.

It is was brings a mans principal before pride.

Fairness with cause........all of these things are honor.

To do the right thing in the face of those that are wrong, and to right a wrong you have commited for the sake of face.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Sahabi

there is no honor to b left or right, honor is from being up, while down cant mean being honoroble ever

u r evil bc it is obvious that u r using the argument of left and right to hide that truth

doing the right thing is to the thing not to u, while the thing honor could b related to ur perspective of defending it

but then u mean urself being true first so would never mean anything

u dont get that only superiority is right bc superiority is all what end existing from being always superior sense

right is never what sound right or what seem easy right for ur individual will to exist freely

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Honor is a feeling of belonging and being welcomed brought about by your choice to respect those who you wish to belong with.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Respecting 1 as you would like respected. HONOR

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
honor is willing to sacrifice your self for another whether you know them or not.
honor is telling the truth regardless of the out come.
honor is talking time to help your fellow person cross the street.
honor is is helping someone whose need is greater than yours.
honor is completing a task, that no other individual would take on.
honor seeks no glory for it's self even when glory it is placed upon you.
honor is sitting quietly and comforting others in time of distress.
honor is taking time out to spend with others who have no one else.
honor is many things shown in many ways these are but just a few.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by absolutely

I did not say that Left, wrong, evil, etc., were honorable. I asked if there was honor amongst themselves. Do "evil-doers" honor their fellow "evil-doer"? I say yes.

This tells me honor is beyond the good/evil duality.

When you judge, you are judged. You do not know my deeds, why must you keep calling me evil nearly every time you reply to me?

edit on 3/29/12 by Sahabi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sahabi

When you judge, you are judged. You do not know my deeds, why must you keep calling me evil early every time you reply to me?

I know right.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Sahabi

masabi, stop taking evil for personnal judgment, evil is an absolute fact, anyway i say that god is evil existence source to his powerful oness life in the illusion of possessing true existence
so when u belong to god u r accepting to be evil according to my terms
if i call god evil life and u think being only what god is right??? then calling u evil is good to u

my argument was about up being always right, when truth is then anyone honor is being true, while truth is always absolute superiority

u sit on ur ass and enjoy making concepts that would make u sitting comfortable more

concepts are only to move up ur ass

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   

a. Principled uprightness of character; personal integrity.
www.thefreedictionary.com...

It is hard to define - everyone has their own idea about what it means to be honorable

I think it's being honest with yourself - even when it's so much easier to not face the truth

Then living your life according to that truth. It's usually taking the hard way, not the easy way

Or trying anyway - we all fall short form time to time

S&F for asking the question - I can't watch your video at the moment :-)

edit on 3/29/2012 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join