It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

National Gaurd Soldier Dies Saving Afghan Child.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
This goes to show that there are still good people in our military who do the right thing at all cost. This man selflessly gave his own life while saving the child from being killed. From what his unit members had to say about him, he sounds like he was a good man who was always doing the right thing. I feel sorry for his family and friends that this has happened. It is always hard to see the good die young.

patdollard.com...

The actions of one Rhode Island National Guard Soldier epitomized the Army Value of selfless service, “doing one’s duty loyally without thought of recognition or gain,” as he heroically saved an Afghan child without regard for his own life.

Sgt. Dennis P. Weichel Jr., 29, of Providence, R.I, died March 22, from injuries sustained when he was struck by an armored fighting vehicle after moving an Afghan child to safety.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Awwww, I'm from Rhode Island. Yeah there are still some good people left in the world. May he rest in peace.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
finally a hero in afghanistan, one that was saving kids, instead of killing them.

well his .0012 seconds of fame at least highlighted that all americans aren't bad.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I am willing to bet it was one of our armored vehicals which has no care whatso ever about who they run over. Whether it be a afgan child or one of our own....

I would like to see the statistic of how many afgans have been run over... I have a friend who came back from afganistan completely broken because he watched as innocent people were murdered by us. It is a sick sick war and we are the occupiers... we are the bad guys... and we have created the freedom fighters that we are now waging war with.

sick sick war... we should send every congressman and womans children and grand children that are of age into battle... then see how many wars we would be in

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Glad to see some heartwarming news come out of such tragedy.

RIP my friend and thanks for giving your life for the sake of another human being...American or not.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by usmc0311

Events like this mean nothing when the American military machine has killed more Afghani civilians than the Taliban or Mujahadeen ever did. Too little. Too late.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Doalrite

That will never happen, as congressmen obviously have no ethics left, so have no problem sending someone else's son or daughter to die for false ideals, all the while refusing to give up their own. Not much of a loss for the military in that regard, though. If congressmen all sent their sons over to afghanistan, they would be overrun in a heartbeat, as those that are drawn to power are, at best, mediocre, and the same goes for their offspring.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
At least someone is doing good...

RIP mate

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by xXxinfidelxXx
reply to post by usmc0311

Events like this mean nothing when the American military machine has killed more Afghani civilians than the Taliban or Mujahadeen ever did. Too little. Too late.

Actually as soon as we stepped into the country we went from liberator to occupiers. It was too late before the second step off the aircraft. They see ANY person not from their country as occupiers. Even tourist sometimes.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Excellent

A hero's death. He made the best of a crappy situation.

There's glimmers of hope people!

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Ok, I'll guess I'll be the one to say it and take the crap.

I don't believe this story one bit. Too much of a coincidence after the tragedy of a multiple murder by US forces on unarmed women and children.

Now all of a sudden the military are heroes? After one death compared to how many murders?

I smell a set-up or at least just capitalizing on one incident to make everyone go: "awwww, see? We are doing so much good over there".

Now everyone can forget about the murderers and celebrate a hero? The US Military would think nothing of setting this up, sacrificing one soldier to get back in the good graces of the public and an occupied Nation.

Sorry, maybe it's the cynic but I am just not buying it.

Peace

edit on 28-3-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Nobody is saying forget about the horrible murders that took place. I was just highlighting an incident to show that not every military member makes bad decisions. I am also open to this possibly being a setup or at least a distraction of some sort. But it still happened, and a US service member has lost their life. At least something positive came from his sacrifice.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by usmc0311
reply to post by jude11

Nobody is saying forget about the horrible murders that took place. I was just highlighting an incident to show that not every military member makes bad decisions. I am also open to this possibly being a setup or at least a distraction of some sort. But it still happened, and a US service member has lost their life. At least something positive came from his sacrifice.

I can partially agree here.

If he lost his life in the exact way as described, he's indeed a hero and should be treated as such.

If he was a pawn used to further the US Military Agenda, he deserved better.

I find it too coincidental of this happening so soon after the other incident tho. That's what makes me go hmmmm?

Peace

new topics

top topics

join