It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tibet protester who set himself on fire dies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Jamphel Yeshi, 27, set himself on fire on Monday at a demonstration in New Delhi.
He ran screaming past other protesters and the news media before falling to the ground, his skin and clothing burned. He was taken to a hospital, but was unable to overcome his injuries.

Yet another Tibetan driven to insanity. This is so sad and somewhat confusing to me. I'm baffled at the extremes people feel they need go to in order to make a statement. There are so many other ways to be heard, this just isn't one of them. Unfortunately, some feel they have no other options as this has become a common occurrence in China.

About 30 people have set themselves on fire over the past year in ethnic Tibetan areas of China in protest against Beijing's heavy-handed rule in the region. They say the crackdown in Tibetan areas is so oppressive that there is no other way for Tibetan people to voice their protest.

*graphic*
www.telegraph.co.uk...

i.telegraph.co.uk...

edit on 28-3-2012 by mtnshredder because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
For the tibetans, there are not "so many other ways to be heard". If that were the case, they would have been heard for the last 80 years.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I agree, If they had other ways to be heard why is no one listening?

Tibet still isn't free; and this protestor died to prove it should be. Don't dishonour the sacrifice

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
This is ridicules... The only time it made a statement was the first time it was done decades ago. Is it supposed to bring attention? Well its not, they need to come up with a original way to protest.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

There are better ways than this though. Setting themselves on fire is not the answer. It is sad that they feel they have no alternatives left and have go to these extremes. China just doesn't give a hoot and never has, not sure how you go about changing that?

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   

i feel like chicken tonight.
have you ever studied weird foods.
PETA is having one helluva time i bet.
not only is it on youtube to have dog meat farm but that they beat them senseless then skin them alive, basically , atrocious and unloved...enemy of mans friend, enemy of mans soul

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Infi8nity

Like what? Starving themselves? Demonstrations? The only thing the Tibetans haven't tried is full on war, and that would be very unwise, so I think it's safe to say that they have exhausted their options. Typical ignorant jack ss, insulting the victim without looking at the guy with the whip.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I understand Tibetans' struggle to have a homeland - though their leader, the Dalai expressly rejects any violence including self-violence. But desperate people have used that way to call the world's attention from the czech Republik (Jan Palacky) to Vietnamese monks during the late sixties.
Now Lhasa has Chinese prostitue enterprises too. Plastic toys of bad quality. Puffing automobiles. Shopping mall in all Chinese. An entire world will disappear because it is simply unfit to live in the modern consumer civilization - except when they are treated as gurus, teachers, healers or sherpas which is what they could all be...

I have nothing against the Chinese, I practice qigong and go to acupunture, love Chinese tea, consult the I Ching, do Chinese meditation and would love to learn some Mandarin. But this is a question where the leadership took an uncompromising view. Tibet is not simply a province - it would do better as an autonomous region in the giant Chinese empire with cooperation in business and tourism etc, by the Han people. The OP seems to take it as a matter of fact that Tibet is simply part of China - which is debatable to nationalists. Now if there was respect and no discrimination, Tibetans would not mind. But they are excluded to the cost of Sinization.

My eastern astrology indicates that in the next twentysome years, Tibet will actually vanish as a separate culture - perhaps it will become a theme park for modern China along with the uranium mines and the resorts. Tibetans shall carry the dharma around the world. It would be nice if the Chinese would exploit the local Buddhism that so enchanted the entire world as one of their state religions. It is one in Mongolia.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by mtnshredder
reply to post by captaintyinknots

There are better ways than this though. Setting themselves on fire is not the answer. It is sad that they feel they have no alternatives left and have go to these extremes. China just doesn't give a hoot and never has, not sure how you go about changing that?

The whole of tibet could self immolate and the chinese would not care and immediatly move in and sell the remains to tourist. I have a idea. Lets move them to Israel. I wonder if thay would fare better there than under the chinese?
edit on 28-3-2012 by yuppa because: somewhat tasteless remark so i removed it.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Kokatsi

The OP seems to take it as a matter of fact that Tibet is simply part of China - which is debatable to nationalists.

I have always seen Tibet as a separate country.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Infi8nity
This is ridicules... The only time it made a statement was the first time it was done decades ago. Is it supposed to bring attention? Well its not, they need to come up with a original way to protest.
you sure about that? Afterall, you are talking about it. I am talking about it on the opposite side of the planet.

Do I need to point out the absurdity of making an internet post claiming a specific event did not get noticed?

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   
I posted this for awareness to the issue, not for mockery of the situation.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Chinese don't care. And sadly, whole planet is silent. No one wants to upset sadistic Red giant...
The only way out is an armed straggle it seems... for better or worse.

edit on 29-3-2012 by eventHorizon because: (no reason given)

top topics

join