It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3D Solar, Re-Design, Archimedes Tower of Solar Cells

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I don't truly care to break down the geometry of this idea, rather is should be self-evident(in a way)

So... lets begin with MIT's grand idea...

Lets think, has this idea ever been thought of, in a similar fashion...(power of the sun)?

Archimedes Tower of Mirrors
www.livescience.com...

What shape should the solar cells be?

Hexagon...

There are two possible explanations for the reason that honeycomb is composed of hexagons, rather than any other shape. One, given by Jan Brożek and proved much later by Thomas Hales, is that the hexagon tiles the plane with minimal surface area. Thus, a hexagonal structure uses the least material to create a lattice of cells within a given volume.

en.wikipedia.org...

Can the hexagon fit to a multitude of shapes?

yes...

Should they be flat, and the plane be square with the sun?
No, for the MIT design reiterates this...

But they use squares... here's why not...
In principal...

Then how to organize them?

BTW that is to be the face of the cells, not to replicate the entire 3d structure, rather.... tile the tower with this design.

Old school version of this idea...

How should the towers be arranged?

Nature has already shown the best designs!
STOP TRYING TO BE BETTER THAN MOTHER EARTH, adopt her means and be one!

Oh and BTW... Charlie Sheen is still 'Winning'

This is not even close to the entirety of the design, but should give a pretty good understanding.

Debate it!
edit on 28-3-2012 by MESSAGEFROMTHESTARS because: additional statement

edit on 28-3-2012 by MESSAGEFROMTHESTARS because: remove broken link to image

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
This might better illustrate the tiling:

btw not all of the faces are to be panels, but fitted with a type of diverging lenses in such a fashion that addresses reflectance efficiency working in accordance with prismatic lenses to address band gaps when coupled with particular alloys that are conducive towards efficiency, which then gives premise towards a series of metals and differing crystalline silicons...

I might have a couple of the terminologies backwards, but it gives a general description.

This is something I thought of when I was 15, and haven't given it much thought. A recent thread with a similar idea made me bust out my notes and share with yall.

Like I previously stated.... I only provided a rough idea of the principal

If anybody cares to discuss this in greater detail... go ahead and tell me the million reasons why I'm wrong, and I will find a million ways to make it right lol!
edit on 28-3-2012 by MESSAGEFROMTHESTARS because: additional statement

join