It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is a thug?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I'd like to know what each of you say is a thug.

To me there is two definitions. One is that a thug is a badass. Something you'd want to be.
The other definition is that a thug is a criminal minded individual.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
The word Thug comes from the Hindi ṭhagī and the Anglicized version initially was Thuggee. They ritualistically strangled travelers who they had befriended in the name of the goddess Kali and then they stole their stuff. I think it is interesting to compare the word's origin to today's usage, where I feel it mostly means a petty person who uses violence to achieve petty ends, which are usually someone else's goal, be it a drug dealer's, union boss's, or a dictator's.
edit on 28-3-2012 by Mkoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Someone just google'd the definition of Thug ^

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
A thug is not a badass. A badass is a badass.

A thug is a cowardly punk who needs to hang out in groups with other punk thugs, because by themselves, they are scared little rabbits. They glorify violence, theft, abuse of women, being loaded out of their skulls thereby eliminating the possibility of rational thought, and dress like they raided their big brother's closet and their mama's cheap, gaudy jewelry. They imagine that carjackings, popping a cap into anybody whom they don't like, and fathering children with a bunch of crazy hoes makes them a man.

That to me is a thug, and they come in all colors.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by FissionSurplus
and dress like they raided their big brother's closet and their mama's cheap, gaudy jewelry.

That was the best laugh I've had in weeks. So amazingly true; right on the money with that one.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
A thug is someone who uses violence, or fear to obtain a desired result.

Terrorist is someone who uses fear as a means of coercion.

The government is guilty of being both.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

A thug is not a badass. A badass is a badass.

A thug is a cowardly punk who needs to hang out in groups with other punk thugs, because by themselves, they are scared little rabbits. They glorify violence, theft, abuse of women, being loaded out of their skulls thereby eliminating the possibility of rational thought, and dress like they raided their big brother's closet and their mama's cheap, gaudy jewelry. They imagine that carjackings, popping a cap into anybody whom they don't like, and fathering children with a bunch of crazy hoes makes them a man.

That to me is a thug, and they come in all colors.

PERFECT!

Someone call Websters!

Couldn't have said it better myself...

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
A thug is a TRUE HERO UNDER GOD:

the song hook

Sometime one time, stereotype me The jewelry, and gold teeth They swear, I've got to be running drugs But I am just a man, trying to Satan free Through hell, is where they're taking me I swear it's so amazing, to be a thug A True Hero Under God's sight, from above

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Tupac:
"I'm not saying I'm a thug cause I want to rob you or rape you.. I'm saying I am a thug cause I came from the ghetto(gutter?), and I'm still here!"

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
A thug is someone who is going through struggles and lives day by day with nothing for them. Thug life is the only means of survival in the ghetto when jobs are scarce and you have to feed your family somehow so their daily activity is to get money by whatever means necessary. Also thug has something to do with India and some god named Kali. THUG LIFE!!

edit on 28-3-2012 by Stop-loss! because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
A Thug is a

Terrestrial Humanoid Underground Group.

or a

Torrential Hurricane Unfettered Grandfather

or a

Technical Humanitarian Unitarian Graduate.

new topics

top topics

join